North West Washington, Montana, Oregon, Idaho, Wyoming

yay beer!... i mean wheels

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2009, 10:11 PM
Archaismic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default yay beer!... i mean wheels

FINALY!
i got my new wheels. i test fit the rears without tires just to check some clearences and it's going to be a really damned tight fit. i haven't had a chance to mess with the fronts but they're only marginally larger than the stock ones so im less worried. those are 13.75" rear wheels. and for those of you who helped me with the whole tire dilemma i think i've settled on yokohama advan sports. 315/30r18 for the rear and 245/40r 18 for the front. it'll have a slightly stretched look but it will help them actually fit inside the 1/4 panel. overall they'll be like .2 inches lower than stock. we'll see how the setup works and if i need to it'll change with the next set of tires

i "rolled" the stock 1/4 panels also... what a damned nightmare. not at all what i anticipated. i'll post pictures when i find them again but to remove more than like 1/2" of material back there you have to no **** cut into the car slot the hell out of the metal, rivet, seal, fiberglass, etc. anyway... definitely more involved than say a '70 camero

Old 11-06-2009, 10:13 PM
DB350

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sir, I would like to draw your attention to the door handle. The paint is chipping.

That is all.
Old 11-07-2009, 12:20 AM
Archaismic

Originally Posted by DB350
Sir, I would like to draw your attention to the door handle. The paint is chipping.

That is all.
lmao... of all the things aesthetically wrong with the exterior in that pic... yes i'm aware thank you :: amused ::
Old 11-07-2009, 06:29 AM
davboy

where is the beer?
Old 11-07-2009, 06:35 AM
0jiggy0

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

rims are too skinny
Old 11-07-2009, 07:00 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I hope you don't have VDC, or even traction control with those intended tire sizes. I hate to say it, but the car is going to handle like a pig

Rolling fenders is as straightforward on this car as it is on any other - you just need the right tools. The fender rolling tools out there work amazing well, and allow you to do a clean, safe, and tidy job if you take your time.
Old 11-07-2009, 07:06 AM
wasuber

+1 I'm in for pics of the beer, nice wheels tho..
Old 11-07-2009, 07:18 PM
Bumpinjeep

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

245s and 315s are a weird combo. I think its going to be pushing it. Hope it works out for you though. Throw some pics up soon!
Old 11-07-2009, 08:05 PM
Archaismic

Originally Posted by Z1 Performance
I hope you don't have VDC, or even traction control with those intended tire sizes. I hate to say it, but the car is going to handle like a pig

Rolling fenders is as straightforward on this car as it is on any other - you just need the right tools. The fender rolling tools out there work amazing well, and allow you to do a clean, safe, and tidy job if you take your time.
yes i have traction control and VDC... should be able to drive fine though. the overall height of each is still within like .2 inches which is less than normal inertial wheel growth at high speeds so i think (or is it hope) everything will work out fine. if not im pretty sure the dealership can make some adjustments. i already had to have them fix my VDC after doing my new steering wheel.

as for rolling fenders or in this case 1/4 panels. there's only like 1/2" of meterial to "roll" on these. im not talking about the front fenders. the front is easy, but on the back there are multiple layers of metal that do not contour with one another after the first 1/2 inch (nominally assigned value not actual measurement) and i wanted 3-4 inches. so i did 3-4 inches, not hard... just hadn't thought about it before i did it so it surprised me and took longer than i had though and was much more involved

Last edited by Archaismic; 02-13-2010 at 09:16 AM.
Old 11-07-2009, 09:18 PM
djSLiM

yeah if the front tire size is too much of a % different from the rear it throws off the vdc and the car thinks its slipping. as long as you match them close to stock, either in circumference or ration and percentage, everything will be fine. linky for solution

...and IN for better pic of the wheels
Old 11-07-2009, 09:40 PM
Archaismic

Originally Posted by djSLiM
yeah if the front tire size is too much of a % different from the rear it throws off the vdc and the car thinks its slipping. as long as you match them close to stock, either in circumference or ration and percentage, everything will be fine. linky for solution

...and IN for better pic of the wheels
yeah... what ^^he^^ said... the guys at discount tire kept trying to make the fronts shorter than the rear for a more aggressive stance but i kept telling them we couldn't do that. they kept trying to go with 245/30's for the front but that made the front's like 3/4" lower than the rears or something like that. the rears are going to be slightly shorter than stock just to keep from causing clearance issues so the fronts are slightly shorter as well. we'll see how everything turns out when tires get here and i throw them on the car. if they're all jacked up i'll have them order better ones :: shrug :: might take some time but i already waited 6 months for the wheels to get finished i think i can wait a while for tires that do the job

as for better pics? what more do you want?
Old 11-07-2009, 09:48 PM
djSLiM

click that link and type in your tire specs. that will take ALL the guess work out of it so you don't have to buy extra tires.

better pics as in can't see the spokes at all in those you posted
Old 11-07-2009, 10:07 PM
Archaismic

click that link and type in your tire specs. that will take ALL the guess work out of it so you don't have to buy extra tires.

better pics as in can't see the spokes at all in those you posted
ohh... well then... coming right up. ohh and i wont be buying new tires... discount tire will be ordering me new ones over and over until they get it right and then i'll pay for the ones that work

sorry for the out of focusness... but you can still see the 10 mark
Old 11-08-2009, 01:48 PM
djSLiM

i like those. do they go reverse direction on the other side or are all 4 the same spoke direction? are you gonna leave them polished? those would look sick satin black, especially on your car.
Old 11-08-2009, 01:52 PM
n1nj4 m0d3

dope! can't wait to see the car when it's finished
Old 11-08-2009, 01:52 PM
calin
Banned

Hmmm.....in for installed pics.
Old 11-08-2009, 01:55 PM
n1nj4 m0d3

ps. i recommend goodyear eagle f1 all season tires (if it comes in your size), unless you're planning on never driving on wet pavement.
Old 11-08-2009, 02:00 PM
djSLiM

Originally Posted by n1nj4 m0d3
ps. i recommend goodyear eagle f1 all season tires (if it comes in your size), unless you're planning on never driving on wet pavement.
i have those tires and they're the best tires i have ever owned. great traction wet and dry and the beast part is the 420AA tread rating.
Old 11-08-2009, 02:50 PM
user_deus

Still waiting for the beer pictures...
Old 11-09-2009, 12:14 AM
Archaismic

i like those. do they go reverse direction on the other side or are all 4 the same spoke direction? are you gonna leave them polished? those would look sick satin black, especially on your car.
they are directional specific... they are made to all go the same direction ie blades forward no matter the side and no i don't plan on leaving them polished. im planning on doing the same sort of gunmetal gray color that the car will be on the rims and flat/satin black on the spokes. installed pics will be at least a week down the line when i get some insurance claim money or my paycheck for tires

Quick Reply: yay beer!... i mean wheels