North West Washington, Montana, Oregon, Idaho, Wyoming

Fender Rolling

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2010, 01:05 PM
Tiltz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fender Rolling

Where/who?

I started doing it on my own with a hair dryer and a masking tape covered tube, but I got scared when I didn't heat up an area enough and caused a 1/2" crack in the paint. I put a peice of 3M clear bra to seal the crack and its been fine for months. I know there are tools meant for fender rolling; Anybody have them, or know a shop that does this service for a reasonable price?
Old 08-12-2010, 01:10 PM
davboy

contact Ray http://www.garageautohero.com/ He can roll fenders.
Old 08-12-2010, 01:10 PM
Entaille

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

I know VTR does fender rollin, I haven't needed it myself so I can't tell ya pricing, they are worth calling though

http://vtrweb.com/
Old 08-12-2010, 01:28 PM
jining

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you can rent one from some dood on clist, thats what I did with tw8715... we did mine pretty good but we dented one of his fenders up unfortunately.... just don't rush and its pretty easy.
Old 08-12-2010, 01:33 PM
sdbarker

Originally Posted by davboy
contact Ray http://www.garageautohero.com/ He can roll fenders.
+1

+charlimit
Old 08-12-2010, 08:30 PM
flyinglumpia

+2 Ray can do it.
Old 08-12-2010, 09:46 PM
Goo$e
Banned

I also need to get this done. Thanks for posting this thread.

All you people that got it done from Ray. Has your paint cracked or anything like that? Can you guys go take a flash light and go look and report back?

Also, how does Ray do it? Heatgun + that roller arm tool that bolts to your hub?

Last edited by Goo$e; 08-12-2010 at 09:48 PM.
Old 08-12-2010, 10:32 PM
Tiltz

Thanks for the info Peeps!
Old 08-12-2010, 10:52 PM
seymore4
Professional

Received 70 Likes on 58 Posts

I need to get rolled too and everyone has been telling me that I have to have a body shop do it and have them paint it too because it will crack the paint etc etc..

Can you do it without wrecking the paint??
Old 08-13-2010, 07:39 AM
Tiltz

^^^Its just a matter of heating the paint so it is maluable when the fender is folded in. If is done properly with care it should not be a problem. There are a bunch of threads on this site that show clean results. There are also some threads that show warbled fenders that are all f-ed up.

Also, My buddy works at BellRed Auto Rebuild in Bellevue (reputable body shop). I asked him if he wouldn't mind rolling my fenders. He told me that the he would need to repaint if he did and that it would be an expensive pain in the ***. With that being said, I don't think most body shops employ the proper techniques to do a paintless fender roll..... But I know that it is possible because I have seen the results here and other automotive websites.

Last edited by Tiltz; 08-13-2010 at 07:49 AM.
Old 08-13-2010, 09:02 AM
Goo$e
Banned

All I want to do is pay someone to roll my fenders properly with no issues down the road. Someone who has done this many times on Z's with perfect results. So if Ray is that person, that is who I shall take my Z too. I would like to see some of your guys Z's that got this work done by Ray. So I can see it with my own eyes.
Old 08-13-2010, 09:47 AM
davboy

I personally don't have my fenders rolled. I just know he has done a few peoples fenders. I think Ray has one of those attach to wheel hub roller things, others can correct me if I am wrong. I think everything goes ok with fender rolling if you use a good heat gun to heat up the paint and you go slow and go over the fender a few times . Just get a hold of Ray he will give you a honest answer.
Old 08-17-2010, 06:36 AM
ace32x

i went to carnutz and had them cut them as oposed to rolling they seal it after words and such, no paint cracks or anything
Old 08-17-2010, 08:16 AM
Bumpinjeep

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

I would try carnutz, they did mine and Christians as well (I think he has his rolled). They did a perfect job.
Old 08-17-2010, 09:44 AM
Goo$e
Banned

Originally Posted by davboy
I personally don't have my fenders rolled. I just know he has done a few peoples fenders. I think Ray has one of those attach to wheel hub roller things, others can correct me if I am wrong. I think everything goes ok with fender rolling if you use a good heat gun to heat up the paint and you go slow and go over the fender a few times . Just get a hold of Ray he will give you a honest answer.
I talked with Ray and he said to take my car to Jeff @ Twin City Collision. "He folded the fender lips completely flat and seam sealed it with body panel adhesive so they won't accumulate road grime and start the rusting process. Then he used the chip guard and applied it to the lip so that the paint will not chip. The only problem is he is not exactly cheap and he is in Stanwood"

I talked with Jeff and he said they mainly use infrared to do fender rolling. He also said the sealant is a white color so they would have to paint the inner fender lips as well. Ball park estimate was around $650.

Originally Posted by Bumpinjeep
I would try carnutz, they did mine and Christians as well (I think he has his rolled). They did a perfect job.
Talked with CarNutz and they use the heatgun method. No sealant or chip guard but he did mention that there is a very good chance the paint will crack. He did say they have had a lot of successes. CarNutz is $60 per fender.

I do need to get my driver side fender re-painted so not sure which place I should go to.

Last edited by Goo$e; 08-17-2010 at 09:46 AM.
Old 08-17-2010, 11:35 AM
ace32x

Originally Posted by Goo$e
I talked with Ray and he said to take my car to Jeff @ Twin City Collision. "He folded the fender lips completely flat and seam sealed it with body panel adhesive so they won't accumulate road grime and start the rusting process. Then he used the chip guard and applied it to the lip so that the paint will not chip. The only problem is he is not exactly cheap and he is in Stanwood"

I talked with Jeff and he said they mainly use infrared to do fender rolling. He also said the sealant is a white color so they would have to paint the inner fender lips as well. Ball park estimate was around $650.

Talked with CarNutz and they use the heatgun method. No sealant or chip guard but he did mention that there is a very good chance the paint will crack. He did say they have had a lot of successes. CarNutz is $60 per fender.

I do need to get my driver side fender re-painted so not sure which place I should go to.
carnutz also cuts the lip and if they cut it they seal it idk if you want to go that route, i did and have no complaints at all
Old 08-17-2010, 11:46 AM
Goo$e
Banned

If you come up north anytime PM me. I would like to see the work they did.
Old 08-17-2010, 01:24 PM
ace32x

not usually but if theres a meet or something up there soon ill be around
Old 08-17-2010, 03:32 PM
ace32x

may be going to XXX burger tonight tho ill pm u my # if ur in the area maybe u can check it out
Old 08-17-2010, 03:33 PM
Goo$e
Banned

Sounds good. Whenever.

Quick Reply: Fender Rolling