North West Washington, Montana, Oregon, Idaho, Wyoming

Help: Tires rubbing in fender

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2012, 08:43 AM
Esoj

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Help: Tires rubbing in fender

Hi all!

I just want to ask for help since I tried to search and everything that I read says the opposite of what I'm experiencing. I have an 03' Z with 63,000 miles on it. Last October I decided to invest on wheels and tires and I bought WEDSSPORT SA55M 19X10.5 +15 (rear), 19X9.5 +15 (Front). I have it on stock height still and have 245/35/19 (front) and 275/35/19 (rears) tires.

The issue is that when I drive it at around 35-70mph and the road suddenly has dips (not potholes) either side of the rear tires (mostly rear left) and sometimes the front tires (mostly front left) scrape, weird thing is it only scrapes one tire at a time. I had my alignment already twice since October with 2 different Firestone locations here in Lynnwood/Everett area sine I got the lifetime alignment with them and the first alignment was really bad and after that it lessen the scraping but this time when I go at around 60+ mph and there are dips again I scrape same scenario so I brought it back for an alignment and they told me everything was into oem spec.

I tried to research on this since scraping is really not a good thing but everyone says that if you are on stock height (stock springs and all that) I shouldn't be expecting any scraping.

Sorry for the long read here but I hope this explains my issue and any suggestions would be great.

Last edited by Esoj; 01-31-2012 at 08:45 AM.
Old 01-31-2012, 08:50 AM
seymore4
Professional
Premier Member

Received 71 Likes on 59 Posts

First thing I would do is look inside the fenderwell and see if you can identify exactly where its rubbing and go from there. For the rear most likely the problem can be solved by rolling the fenders, the front not so much. If its rubbing on the plastic liner try trimming it or removing it all together, if you don't mind spending some money invest in a quality set of coilovers to stiffen up the suspension.
Old 01-31-2012, 10:08 AM
Vivid Racing
Sponsor
Vivid Racing

Your offsets are pretty low, but on stock height it shouldn't be hard to get it to stop rubbing.

What your experiencing is completely normal for wheels of that size/offset, though. It's a clearance issue, not an alignment issue. You can tweak the alignment to help the problem, but you're gonna have to trim your fender liners.

Get under the car and see if you can tell where it's rubbing. You should be able to see pretty easily.
Old 01-31-2012, 04:42 PM
Czarrr

Roll the rears. +15 is cutting it pretty close.
As for the front, remove the top most fender liner bolt. You should be set.
Old 02-01-2012, 01:52 PM
Esoj

Thanks for the replies. I would remove the wheels this weekend and I'll see where it really rubsand I will update this again. Thanks for all the inputs.