Notices
North West Washington, Montana, Oregon, Idaho, Wyoming

Awesome drives in Washington State

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2018, 10:59 AM
zakmartin

Received 512 Likes on 377 Posts
Default Awesome drives in Washington State

There's not a lot of information on this forum about the amazing drives you can take here in the State of Washington. If you have any favorite specific routes that you've taken before, list them here. I'll start by offering these two:

The Methow Valley Loop:

Day 1: From Seattle, head North to Arlington via I-5 and SR-530. Then from Arlington, head North on SR-530 past the remains of Oso and on to Rockport. From there, head East on Hwy 20 through the North Cascades National Park and stay the night in Winthrop.

Day 2: Head East toward Twisp and then drop South on SR-153 where it connect to Hwy 97 to Chelan. Follow Hwy 97 to Cle Elum, where you can ride I-90 back to Seattle.

The Nirvana Experience:

From Olympia, take Hwy 101 until it hooks up heading West on SR-8 to Hwy 12. A quick stop at the abandoned nuclear plant near Satsop for photos. Keep heading West until you reach Aberdeen (Notice the Come As You Are sign when you enter the city limits), then head North on Hwy 101 until you intersect with Ocean Beach Rd and follow that out to Copalis Beach at the Pacific Ocean. Head North on SR-109 until you reach Pacific Beach and then head East on Ocean Beach Road. Just after Copalis Crossing, head Northeast on Kirkpatrick road out to Humptulips (this part of the drive is quite possibly one of the best stretches of uninterrupted roadway in the State of Washington). At Humptulips, take Hwy 101 South back to Aberdeen and from there back to Olympia.
The following users liked this post:
cwib (11-18-2019)
Old 01-26-2018, 03:49 PM
zakmartin

I was thinking about making some trax this summer to get closer to a new set of tires and do a road trip from Seattle to the Goldendale Observatory in South Washington via the Sunrise entrance to Mt. Rainier National Park, East through White Pass, stop for some vino in wine country along Rattlesnake Ridge and head South along SR-97 to get there. Mostly back road twisties and probably a two-day trip. Anyone feel like doing a road train or hooking up somewhere along the trip to see if the Observatory is worth the tax dollars we're spending on it?
Old 01-26-2018, 03:52 PM
zakmartin

Old 01-27-2018, 06:03 AM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 3,255 Likes on 2,316 Posts

Originally Posted by zakmartin
Dunno about tax dollars but that view to behold would be priceless! Yowza!

I'm doing a short road trip in a few weeks... solo. Wife is going up to the cabin with skiing friends for holiday week. (I never go.... tradition.) Where I going? No clue..... depends on the car I take. If I take either of the Datsuns, the weather best be warm n' clear but not too hot.... top down on the roadster otherwise not worth it/no fun; no rain for the 240Z because wipers still no workee.

So, choice between the 33 and the SL..... Hmmmmm.... either handles twisty roads great, the SL is a beast on the road, especially with top down.

Fuggid, I wanna drive my Z! (It should be back from body by that time!)

Washington state here I come! Hahahaha.
Old 01-27-2018, 12:44 PM
06platinumG

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

One of my favorite routes that I have done several times over the years on a motorcycle and once with car a is,

Meet up in Woodinville or Monroe and take State Route 2 (Steven's Pass) to Leavenworth. About 100 miles

Then just past Leavenworth take 97 South over Bluewett Pass to Ellensburg, taking the old highway (10) into Ellensburg. About 60 miles

From Ellensburg take State Route 821 South (follows the Yakima river) towards Yakima, just before Yakima turn west on State Route 12 to Naches. About 60 miles

Follow 12 west it will split just past Naches, stay right on State Route 410 to Enumclaw. This route takes you over Chinook Pass and through Mount Rainier National Park
About 150 miles.

From Enumclaw find your way home. The route is about 370 miles and depending where you live would could be a 500 mile day. But you cross 3 mountain passes, follow a winding river an through a National Park. You won't find a more scene route.

Lots of places to take breaks and eat. It is a full day and you could split it up into a 2 day. I've always done it in one.

Have fun
Old 01-29-2018, 10:06 AM
zakmartin

Mic - you ever been to Lassen Volcanic National Park? When I fly down and see the landscape, it looks like it'd be a cool place to check out.

Platinum - I haven't tried SR-821, but that looks a helluva lot more interesting than I-82. I'm going to try that route this summer when the wife and I do the yearly run to Rattlesnake Ridge around Zillah.

I take SR-410 from Ellensburg out to Crystal Mountain a couple of times each winter for skiing, but I haven't tried continuing on that route out to Naches after they open the Sunrise Gate at Rainier after the snow melts. I've done Highway 12 a few times though to ski White Pass.

I think I'll give I-90 a skip this year and do SR-410 out to Zillah instead and take SR-821 back home. Seems like it'd be an interesting diversion with the wide-open country out around there.

Thanks for the idea
Old 01-29-2018, 07:23 PM
06platinumG

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

12 is a nice ride but 410 is better, since it cuts through the national park no commercial traffic is allowed.

Before I-82 was built the only way to Yakima was SR-821

By the way, I've been to Lassen, you'd like it. Lot of good roads in southern Oregon and if your headed down there take the long way past Crater Lake.