North West Washington, Montana, Oregon, Idaho, Wyoming

Taking the scenic route around western WA

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2004, 11:14 PM
Z_Coaster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Taking the scenic route around western WA

Hi everyone,
I'm relatively new to this area and not all that familiar with western WA. For the last few weekends, I've wanted to get out for a nice Sunday afternoon drive. Can anyone suggest a nice route to spend a few hours cruising on? With spring coming soon, I'll probably get more and more antsy.

Any suggestions would be great; from tight, twisty roads to beautiful scenic routes for Kodak moments.

Thanks in advance!
Old 03-07-2004, 07:47 AM
OptimusP517

Chuckanut drive is a nice one, but it's up north and it is several hours for sure! hmmmmm I'm not sure where else I can think of right now
Old 03-07-2004, 12:17 PM
drivesolo

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This is a good idea for a thread. We should all post the good drives that we know of here in the Pac. NW. and give some of our own input on it.

I wish I could contribute but I really don't know any good drives locally. Last summer I'd get up early on the weekends to take the Z out, but all I did was the I-5/I-90/I-450 loop. It was nice cuz there was barely anyone out before 8AM on a weekend but it wasn't not really a scenic drive.
Old 03-07-2004, 02:46 PM
Z_Coaster

The drive around Mt. Rainier was kind of nice. The roads aren't that interesting and are usually too crowded to really play, but the views are definetly worth a ride. I had a chance to take a drive up to Frozen Lake for a hike. Was nice, but definetly bring your mosquito repellent!
Old 03-07-2004, 02:59 PM
Binictican

Chuckanut is a nice drive, went just last week, but be aware of rocks and debris on the road as we have had trouble for the last few years of unstabilized hills.

I am in Mount Vernon.

Hwy 20 then down to Darrington Arlington and Hwy 5 is a nice ride but not real challenging. I am waiting for Hwy 20 to open up this year and go over into eastern WA.

The old Skagit Hwy going up Skagit river on the south side can be fun, but the road is not the best.

I haven't done Mount Baker this year yet but it is a long drive and does have some interesting curves and turns.

Hwy 9 has some nice spots in it as well, but it has a history of accidents.

For those traveling, try going to Mount Evans in Colorado by way of using Squaw pass, those two combined will give you a great experience. Not for all out racing though.