Notices
Northern California San Francisco, Oakland, Sacramento, San Jose, Pleasanton, etc.

South SF Bay Area shop for FI engine rebuild/tuning

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2006, 09:55 AM
HonicZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default South SF Bay Area shop for FI engine rebuild/tuning

Hey all, I posted this in the forced induction location as well, thought maybe I would get some results here.

I have an '03 350Z with a procharger, utec system, returned fuel system, borla exhaust etc. and so far I'm pretty happy. I've had the setup on the car for a bit now with no real trouble. Ever since I got the car, there has always been a slight stumble at idle and never paid it any mind. Finally I decided to run a compression check on it and it looks like one of the holes is running a bit low. I'm thinking now is a good time to plan on doing a rebuild. the weather is getting crappy and I've got nothing better to do.

I'm trying to find a good shop to take the car to and get it rebuilt and get some tuning done afterwards. The original shop that I got the work done is folding up and not really available anymore (altered speed in french camp, ca). Anyway, I've spoken to Rob at z-car garage and he wants nothing to do with this car if it has the procharger on it. He tells me the only way he'll work on it and build a new motor is if I trade in my procharger for a vortech. Well, I have enough time and money invested with plenty of power to show for it, I'm not interested in swapping out my supercharger for what seems to be some kind of kick-back scheme.

So, does anyone have any experience with shops on the west coast in the SF bay area that has a good reputation for building and tuning that you would trust with a FI setup? I know there are some places in SoCal and I might be willing to make that trip if there is no one here local. It would be preferable to find someone familiar with the utec system, since it seems to be somewhat difficult to tune according to my last shop.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

H
Old 11-17-2006, 12:36 PM
2004z
Sleeps in 350Z

Hmmm.. if it's not Z-Car, I don't know where else to take the car to.

If you find a reputable place, please post it up here.
Old 11-20-2006, 06:21 AM
HonicZ

Any ideas why Rob would be so anti-procharger? I've never heard of a shop flat out refusing to work on a name brand product like that before. It's one thing to not like the brand or have other ideas for a build, but to flat out decline to work on a car because you don't like the supercharger...sounds fishy to me...
Old 11-20-2006, 09:46 AM
2004z
Sleeps in 350Z

I don't know why Rob wouldn't want to work with the procharger, that's a question for him. I do know he's installed the Vortech for quite a few happy customers.

Perhaps he hasn't worked with very many procharger kits and is worried about damaging your engine with a kit he's not familiar with. I don't know of anyone in the area, other than yourself, that has the procharger.

Rob is a stand-up guy and many members here will vouch for him. In fact, I plan on having my TT setup installed at Z-Car this winter. If I were you, I would go back and talk to him more about this.