Notices
Northern California San Francisco, Oakland, Sacramento, San Jose, Pleasanton, etc.
View Poll Results: I do/don't track my car because:
1. I track my car every chance I get.
13.04%
2. I track my car when I have the time and/or money.
52.17%
3. I want to track my car but I’m afraid that I may crash.
0%
4. I want to track my car but it’s just too darn expensive.
13.04%
5. I want to track my car but I know nothing about racing.
17.39%
6. I’m lazy.
0%
7. I love my Z but I’m just not interested in taking it to the track.
4.35%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Track interest in general (NorCal only, please reply)

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2004, 03:01 PM
failsafe
....for your health

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Track interest in general (NorCal only, please reply)

Guys and girls,

I've noticed that there are only a few people of all the NorCal group that have shown any interest in track days. While I have absolutely no problem with that fact, I would like to know the reasons why there isn't more interest in track days. I'm doing some research and would like all of you to give your input and explain the reasons why (or why not) you would be interested in showing up for a track event, now or in the future. If you'd rather not explain the reasons then please at least answer the poll.

Thanks all,

-Jason

Edit: BTW- this is in regards to road courses (Thunderhill, Laguna Seca, Buttonwillow etc.) not drag racing.

Last edited by failsafe; 01-19-2004 at 03:30 PM.
Old 01-19-2004, 04:00 PM
whatever
Veteran

what if I'm 2 and 6?

just speculating for the common mass out there...

I think these are the most common misconception about track for those that are interested but not dare to find out...

1. Track day = racing. I'm not into racing
2. Going to track is expensive
3. Going to track is dangerous
4. Going to track will void my warrenty
5. Going to track will not be cover under insurance
6. I spend too much money on all the aftermarket parts, putting the car on the track will damage my parts
7. I need to fix up my car so I can bring it to the track.

Well, at least these were the questions I had in my mind when I did my first track event.
Old 01-19-2004, 04:05 PM
failsafe
....for your health

I'm glad you see where I'm going with this. For now I'm just doing research.

And it's a given that you're lazy, so number two is what you should vote j/k
Old 01-19-2004, 04:10 PM
whatever
Veteran

I think answer to all those questions depends on which track event you attend.

I only been to Clubz track days so I can only comment on that.

1. Track day is not racing. You are driving within your own limits under a controlled enviroment. You can go as fast as you want or as slow as you want. Yes, some times ego hurts when one of your buddies pass you, but end of the day, you are racing with your own time and driving skill improvement.

2. Yes, there are track events that are in the thousands while other are in the hundreds. But with all the events that are planned, ~$200 sure is cheaper then an accident you might cause while street racing or that reckless driving/speeding ticket you might get. Furthermore, unless you attend an event every
month, the wear and tear (tires, brake pads) is not that bad. At most, you pay a little more for 1 extra tank of gas per track day.

3. Going to track could be dangerous if you drive outside of your own limit. For most track days, they would provide instructors (whom have years of actual racing experience). I'm sure with every track day, safetly is stressed. Furthermore, this is a controlled environment that is safer then the street where you can push your cars limit and improve your driving skills.

4. This depends on the manufacture. Last time I checked, there is no clause in your Nissan 350z warrenty contract that saids you cannot take your car to a track. I know there are other manufactures that actually put such claus. If you actually mod your car, then this might be a different issue. (If anyone knows any different, please correct me!! )

5. This actually depends on the track event and your insurance company. You can usually check with them ahead of time to see what they do cover and don't. Some track events even have their own insurance so you're cover regardless. But at the same time, some insurace company won't cover for any Racing event on a track. But most insurance will cover if the track event is a driving school and not a racing school.

6. Most of the performance aftermarket parts are designed for "off road" use only. This means for Track used only!! Thus their durability on taking the stress of the parts on the track should be even better then OEM. Of course, if you run 24 inch chrome spinnaz on the track.... you're most likely going to damage those wheels.

7. Take your Z to the track, you'll be surprise on how well the car handles bone stock!! And unless you have a lot of track days under your belt, it probably have more than enough power that you can handle. I'll admit, the stock Z has more than enough power for me to handle...
Old 01-19-2004, 04:13 PM
zuddenly

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if i had the money, i'd go to every track event... and make mods accordingly as I take the car to its limits... afterall, that's the reason i bought the car... to go to the track and enjoy the car. its less dangerous than going 100+ on public roads, with all those stupid stupid SUVs! so i too voted #2.
ditto, whatever. the Z stock is so much more car than I can handle now. It is so planted through turns.

Last edited by zuddenly; 01-19-2004 at 04:27 PM.
Old 01-19-2004, 07:18 PM
Z33RIE

Default My 2 cents on track days

To everyone: i thought i would post my 2 cents on this subject... i know there's only a handful of you guys who go and wonder, like jason asked why the rest of us don't go... well, for me, i believe track days are a good thing, you get comfortable with your car and have fun! so why don't i go? believe me, i would if i could and had an extra set of wheels for each time, but it's a really hard time for me right now (financially & physically)... i've been to track days when i still had my '99 yamaha R6 and it was the best rush and fun, but it was expensive and i didn't have much time to go and then i sold the bike when i couldnt ride anymore cuz of my knee... so that's just me... i'd love to go to the track with the z, just can't right now and have to accept it. at the same time, i've been really ill for over a week now and been to the hospital 3 times last week alone, but i've been online to handle things i need to take care of and post on here, of course there's just a lot going on right now and i have things to take care of and my health to worry about, so hope you guys & michelle get more track day z's signin up and have more fun!
~RiE
Old 01-19-2004, 09:06 PM
bz8

Sometimes it's just the wrong time, and sometimes it's lazy, and most of the time it's no money, but now, it's mostly because I have no Z .
Old 01-19-2004, 09:20 PM
failsafe
....for your health

And when you get your G?
Old 01-19-2004, 09:23 PM
bz8

Originally posted by failsafe
And when you get your G?
Sure, why not if the time is right.
Old 01-19-2004, 09:55 PM
350ed
Professional

For me it's a money thing. I plan to do it 2-3 times a year though. I'll be focusing on the dry events now though
Old 01-19-2004, 11:21 PM
longbowe

No $$. I'm also afraid of messing up Icy Z, so I'm waiting until past her first birthday before I seriously contemplate going. I'd love to go and just watch, though.
Old 01-20-2004, 12:21 AM
Shift33

I fit in the 2 & 5 category. My buddies have been telling me to take it to the track but I just haven't had the time, moola, and don't know jack about how to really drive her well.

Coming from a fwd car, driving the z is a whole different story when it's 6 spd and rwd. I do want to push her to the limits like my CRX so I know what she can handle that way I don't do something stupid on a windy road.
Old 01-20-2004, 12:43 AM
monkey7

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

It gets very expensive. I wish I had the money, time, and more tires. But when I have the feeling, I'll go.

Sometimes I get to run my car at my friend's auto cross course for free. So that gets me to save some dough.
Old 01-20-2004, 03:10 PM
DeludedBuzz

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I've tracked once on my Honda CBR600F2 at Sear's. It was fun for a little while, but mainly a downer because there were too many folks and not enough instructors.

That should be different at a well organized auto event. I plan to finally track my car this year. My first event will probably be a good well organize DE at Thunderhill (very few walls to run into unlike Sears or Laguna,) and since I want an organized DE I'll probably avoid speedventures and NASA. I might drive down south and hook up with my yuppie friends for a BMW CCA event at buttonwillow.

Probably end up doing 2-4 events this year, after which I can start thinking bout what mods I want (Nismo S Susp please.) Or if I really get into I might end up selling my Z and getting a cheaper miata or some other track beater.

As for insurance, most insurance will not cover a timed event or an event were passing is allowed. And even if they do cover its usually one and your done. Some have also lost coverage because they asked. The general thought seems to be that a don't ask don't tell policy is good, if you do call don't tell them who you are.

AllState has I believe declared that all track events are not covered (I have AllState). Some of the cheaper brands are also sketchy, like Mercury. AAA and StateFarm are recommended but again you will usually lose coverage if you make a claim for an incident on a track.

Here's to hopefully seeing some of you guys on the track this year!
Old 01-20-2004, 09:45 PM
Z-INCOGNITO

I'm just broke as F&*K... but i really wanna go one of these days... and i also wanna learn from those clinics & classes...
Old 01-20-2004, 11:09 PM
spf4000

I also think that more people would show interest if the tracks weren't so far away. I know I'd attend more events if there was a track within an hour from me.
Old 01-21-2004, 01:38 PM
MGV156

I have a new house to deal with pretty soon. So, all my funds will be flowing towards that and other things.
Old 01-25-2004, 10:58 AM
scubasteve

I would love to take my Z to a track, especially before I move in June. I don't have a helmet or anything, but they probably provide that at the track for a nominal fee. email me at steven.krohn@us.army.mil with details about the next track event
Thanks!
Old 01-25-2004, 06:17 PM
350ed
Professional

You can rent helmets for around $25.
Go here: http://www.clubz.org/track/
Old 01-26-2004, 12:56 PM
C Ray Z

Default Focus Last Year on Autocross

I have focused last year on autocross but each year as my experience increases I will convert to road course activities. I plan long term to race but that will be after my daughter graduates and more money is freed up.

This year (2004) 5 Track days and 15 Autocrosses
2005 Mostly Track days
2006 SCCA Racing licence
2007- Racing for fun

You have to have a plan!

Quick Reply: Track interest in general (NorCal only, please reply)