Notices
Northern California San Francisco, Oakland, Sacramento, San Jose, Pleasanton, etc.

Z Owners of Northern California-Monterey Historics Aug. 23-26, 2018

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2018, 02:44 PM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 3,255 Likes on 2,316 Posts
Default Z Owners of Northern California-Monterey Historics Aug. 23-26, 2018

OK folks, it's getting to be that time of year again!

For what you ask?

The ROLEX MONTEREY MOTORSPORTS REUNION, that's what!
August 23-26, 2018
Weathertech Laguna Seca Raceway

Originally known - and still referred to by old timers like me - as the "Monterey Historics", this is the culmination of a week of incredible events on the Monterey Peninsula including: the races at WLSR, the Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance, club gatherings, Mecum Auction at the Hyatt, and just plain loads of fun for any car enthusiast!

BUT HERE'S WHY YOU REALLY NEED TO GO THIS YEAR:

Each year, a particular manufacturer or other notable automotive milestone is featured with special events surrounding that marque or event.

For 2018, Nissan/Datsun is the honored marque!! With so many race successes and innovations over the last 50+ years, we're finally getting our due recognition!

There will be a Nissan Car Corral put on by ZONC, with special paved infield parking only for Nissans and Datsuns PLUS a parade lap around the circuit. (Note: you must be signed up by August 15, 2018. Separate fees for corral and parade lap but.... the parade is only open to corral participants who sign up.)

So whether you drive any generation of Z-car, GTR, 510, Roadster, or anything with a Nissan or Datsun badge on it, this is the event you want to be at!

General Event Info:
http://www.weathertechraceway.com/fa...sports-reunion

http://www.zonc.org/rolex-monterey-motorsport-reunion/

See you there!!
Old 06-13-2018, 05:20 PM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Update: There are currently 84 Nissans and Datsuns signed up for the Z Owners of Northern California Car Corral and Parade Lap at the Rolex Monterey Motorsports Reunion!

Have you signed up yet?

If not, don't miss out on this event! Keep in mind that this the ONE AND ONLY time Nissan-Datsun will honored for their historic motorsports achievements at the Rolex - likely, in your lifetime!

And look, the official artwork for this year's Rolex has been released!

Bonus points for identifying the cars! See, there is an advantage to being as old as me!

Here's the info again:

General Event Info:
http://www.weathertechraceway.com/fa...sports-reunion

http://www.zonc.org/rolex-monterey-motorsport-reunion/

In case you're wondering about the cars on the artwork (from F to B)

- The 1992 IMSA GTS champion 300ZX of Steve Millen

- The Nissan GTP ZX-Turbo IMSA prototype racer built/run by Don Devendorf/Electramotive and the car that beat Porsche at their own game!

- And if you don't recognize the Dime in the back, well, you better go back and study your Datsun racing history. Laff.

Kidding... that's none other than the legendary #46 BRE Datsun 510 built by Peter Brock and driven to the Trans-Am (U2.5L) championships in 1971 and 1972 by legendary driver, John Morton! This 510 is arguably THE most iconic Datsun racer ever built! (Even though my favorite is the C-Production winning #46 240Z.
Old 06-13-2018, 06:53 PM
SmoothZ
Senior Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,906 Likes on 1,354 Posts

The real question is where do I pass out at Mic's house when we start drinking my flaming sambuca shots?
Old 06-13-2018, 10:53 PM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Originally Posted by SmoothZ
The real question is where do I pass out at Mic's house when we start drinking my flaming sambuca shots?
Just out of range of my smoke detectors.

So hey, just got an update on the ZONC Corral and Parade Lap with the specific breakdown of cars (since people love to ask, "How many of [name your model] are attending?")

Skyline 4
Roadster 15
510 18
240Z 16
260Z 3
280Z 3
280ZX 1
300ZX (Z31) 0
300ZX (Z32) 7
350Z and G35 8
370Z and G37 5
GT-R 2

A little light on the Z33 and Z34 front people, c'mon now, there's more of them than there are the others!! Bring out those Zs!

Of course, it doesn't help that I'm bringing my roadster... Hmmm, maybe I should hire two people to bring my 33 and S30!
The following users liked this post:
SmoothZ (06-14-2018)
Old 06-19-2018, 05:48 PM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Just a reminder...

JULY 15, 2018
Last Day to Buy *Discounted* RMMR Tickets through ZONC!

OK, here's what you want to know (from most recent Z Owners of Northern California update):

As of mid-June, ZONC has 89 Datsun/Nissan/Infiniti sports cars in the Corral. Nissan will have a large display tent to show thirteen historic vehicles including a BRE 510, Paul Newman’s championship 280ZX, the Camel GT pace car built by Bob Sharp Racing and the R390 GT1 from Zama, Japan.

Three of the show cars belong to Adam Carolla who will be racing a Nissan. Datsun/Nissan Corral drivers and guests are invited to a special taping of Carolla’s CarCast, date/time tbd. Nissan will be providing a pace car for the weekend and hopes to put a few more vehicles on the track for our parade lap.

Don’t miss out! Buy your tickets and passes now at www.ZONC.org!

========

Now, what better way for a Z/Nissan enthusiast to spend a day or weekend than with 89 other Nissans & Datsuns celebrating the racing legacy that helped to bring your own Z to life?!

OK, I get that family is the most important thing on weekends so here's an idea of what you do if your S.O./family would rather be doing something else! Compromise!!

Take them to Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk to ride the rides, chow down on corn dogs and play on the beach Saturday; then hop on down the road to Laguna Seca on Sunday! (A beautiful 40 mile drive on scenic Hwy 1!) Spend the morning in the corral or wandering around the most scenic track (IMO) and paddock checking it all out. Parade lap at 12:30pm, a couple more races in the afternoon! Everyone wins! Plus, if you want to, you can stay up in the Santa Cruz area (it's a tad cheaper, wait, make it a LOT cheaper!)

But the 89 cars in the corral aren't the only reason to go!

Check out the Nissan/Datsun racing line-up:

Group 5A:, 1973-1981 FIA, IMSA, GT, GTX, GTU, AAGT.
Fifteen Datsun/Nissan race cars including: one Skyline GTR, seven 240Z, one 240SX, one 260Z, three 280ZX, one 610 and one 710.

Group 3B: 1961-1966 GT Cars under 2500cc.
Here’s the 32 car Nissan/Datsun line-up: 14 Roadsters, a Bluebird, a dozen 510s, 5 240Zs. And, a very special car to watch for in this run group is Masaaki Ohmura’s 1967 Datsun Sports 2000 SR311, RHD, 2.5 liter, serial #10, a very rare race car that is being transported all the way from Japan.

Group 7B: 1981-1991 IMSA GTO, GTP, Trans-Am.
These are the big boys! Five Nissans are in this awesome group! (And so are the non-Nissans they beat back in the day. One notable starts with a "P"....
Nissan 300ZX-T, Nissan 240SX, Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo, Datsun 280ZX and Nissan Cunningham Racing 300ZX.

Last edited by MicVelo; 06-19-2018 at 06:35 PM.
Old 07-06-2018, 06:53 PM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Thanks Ann, for poking into the thread!! The artwork looks great and look forward to wearing it!!

So to bump this, a reminder that there's only 9 days left to sign up for the ZONC Corral and Parade Lap at The Rolex Monterey Motorsport Reunion featuring NISSAN!!!

No, the parade isn't about white knuckle 10/10ths laps.... Nope, it's about showing the pride for your car and to celebrate the legacy that brought it to you!

Yeah yeah, I know, "Sigh..... there's that Mic guy again with his unnatural attraction and, ugh, love for Nissans and Datsuns." Yup, that'd be me. And if you just read this far, well.... gotcha!!

Sign up at ZONC to be part of this once in forever (well, pretty much, else the next time you'll have this chance, you'll be as old as me now! Hahahaha...):

http://www.zonc.org/event-registration/

Will you be there?! At least 108 other Nissans and Datsuns in every shape or form for you to hang with will be. And that's just the cars in the Corral and Parade! Don't forget about all of the Datsun/Nissan RACE CARS!! What more could an enthusiast ask for!!?

Last edited by MicVelo; 07-06-2018 at 08:14 PM.
Old 08-08-2018, 04:15 PM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

OK people, we're about 2 weeks away from the big weekend at the Rolex Monterey Motorsports Reunion featuring NISSAN-DATSUN's racing history and this promises to be THE EVENT you won't want to miss.

So, the Parade Lap and Z Owners of Northern California Corral have been closed to new entries BUT this doesn't mean you can't go and enjoy all that Weathertech Laguna Seca Raceway AND the Rolex Event itself have to offer! Racing by all of these beautiful vintage machines (not just our Datsuns) is exciting and gives one a whole new perspective on the heritage behind our sport! See the legendary cars.... everything from "run what ya brung" privateer cars to Hertz Rent-A-Racers to the pros in F1, Champ and the like.

And of course, stop by the ZONC CORRAL!!! C'mon, I know y'all want to meet ME!! (Or maybe that's why no one is coming? Laff....)

On that note... we have something like 19 Z33/Z34s that are registered for the Corral and Parade Lap and I have to ask...

IS ANYONE FROM MY350Z.COM GOING TO BE THERE????

Anyhow, if you are, would love to meet up at the Corral or up on top of Corkscrew Hill or..... anywhere just to say hello.

I'm only there on Sunday 8/26 for the Corral and Parade Lap starting around 8am. Look for my car.....

....I'm not likely to be far away!

Wanna know who to look for? (OK fine, who to look OUT for so as to avoid?) Look for the parking valet.

Hint: there is NO VALET PARKING but don't hesitate to give him your keys. (I was the inspiration for the Ferris Bueller Ferrari.)
Old 08-21-2018, 04:47 PM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

OK final bump for this! Leavin' for the MP in just 2.5 days! House on the beach, hot rods at Mecum, an-tee-que gems (and stuck up owners of course) on the block in Carmel, and a shidload of Datsun/Nissan goodness at Laguna! Not to mention the amazing food we have planned! One home cooked meal for 25 and gourmet foods at our fav restaurants.

IS ANYONE FROM HERE GOING?? Gotta tell ya, I'm a little disappointed... Look, the old car guys are makin' the newer car guys look bad! (Ooops, right, I'm one of 'em...)

Skyline 4
Roadster 15
510 18
240Z 16
260Z 3
280Z 3
280ZX 1
300ZX (Z31) 0
300ZX (Z32) 7
350Z and G35 8 Eight???!! That's it? S30s... 22! 15 Roadsters! 18 Dimes! Eight 33s???? Jeebus... Laff....
370Z and G37 5
GT-R 2

Laff... I know at least three of the 33s that are going to be there, all from ZONC. Anyone from here? Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?

In any event, all good, gonna be a blast.

If you're down that way, HMU here and join us either on the Wharf or in Carmel. Oh, and at the track of course.

Cheers!

Last edited by MicVelo; 08-21-2018 at 05:02 PM.
Old 08-24-2018, 11:14 AM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Annnnnd, MicMurphy strikes again!!

This morning, I get into the roadster, started the car (barely) and noticed engine was weak cranking despite brand new battery installed yesterday. (That was my first clue of things to come.) Packed up the car then decided to do a little final cleaning/detailing (you know, that boy-vanity thing.) . Hour later, went to start the car to put back in the garage. Weak crank. Shot some starting fluid into the carbs (if you even know what that is.) Weak crank, weak crank, then NOTHING. Zilch. Nada. Zero. Starter is gronked toast. Fehhhhhhhh... every time I want to get the roadster to an event, something comes up. (Not car related until now.)

Y'know though.... I've used the following expression a lot lately "It's the best case scenario of all the possible worst case scenarios." (Health related...) Well, applies here too.... "Better it's hosed in my own garage rather than at the beach house or at the track." Hahahaha.

But ya, my nagging thoughts and tortured decision to take another car all this week - just in case - was apparently made for me.

Oh well, still gonna be there! Thought about taking the 240Z but while it is 100% mechanically sound, drivetrain wise (better be after what I've put into it!), I've not really shaken it down on anything more than 25-30 mile jaunts as there's always something else I want to do to it and proceed to tear something else down; so.... guess I'll be representing for the Z33 crowd after all.

Last edited by MicVelo; 08-24-2018 at 11:16 AM.
Old 08-24-2018, 09:35 PM
bealljk
350Z-holic

Received 1,282 Likes on 1,007 Posts

Originally Posted by MicVelo
quite possibly one of my favorite pictures mic
Old 08-26-2018, 03:09 PM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Default Thank you!

Not a report on the weekend’s amazing events yet.

Just a thank you to Z Owners of Northern California, all the volunteers, and ESPECIALLY TO ANN DEVOR, who made the Datsun-Nissan Corral, parade lap, and all of the festivities happen!!!

Big shout out for the big effort so that all of us Z, 510, Roadster, and Skyline/GTR owners and families could have so much fun!!!

Amazing day!! Thank you!!!

Last edited by MicVelo; 08-26-2018 at 03:32 PM.