Notices
Northern California San Francisco, Oakland, Sacramento, San Jose, Pleasanton, etc.

Anybody able to integrate their iPod into the 350Z radio?

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2004, 06:55 AM
PATB

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anybody able to integrate their iPod into the 350Z radio?

I have an '04 350Z touring. Presently, I listen to my iPod in the Z via a Sony cassette adapter. I also have an iTrip, but the sound is terrible. I would like to be able to feed the iPod audio output, either from the mic jack or bottom port (unamplified line out), directly into the Z radio, if possible.

Do you know of a place in the bay area that can integrate my iPod into the stock Z radio (has integrated 6 disc CD-changer, without Sat button)? Thanks in advance for any information.
Old 08-27-2004, 09:12 AM
Z-INCOGNITO

I have the Belkin Tunecast II FM Transmitter and its awesome... im gonna look into doin the same thing that you are looking for... but for now... my setup works for me
Old 08-27-2004, 09:14 AM
whatever
Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I actually use the Alpine FM modulator for my audio input for carpc. Sounds decent and it also give you an option for XM
Old 08-27-2004, 09:47 AM
bz8

Originally posted by Z-INCOGNITO
I have the Belkin Tunecast II FM Transmitter and its awesome... im gonna look into doin the same thing that you are looking for... but for now... my setup works for me
Henry, how much was the Belkin Tunecast II FM Transmitter? I'm looking in getting something for my iPod mini too.
Old 08-27-2004, 09:49 AM
bz8

Default Re: Anybody able to integrate their iPod into the 350Z radio?

Originally posted by PATB
I have an '04 350Z touring. Presently, I listen to my iPod in the Z via a Sony cassette adapter. I also have an iTrip, but the sound is terrible. I would like to be able to feed the iPod audio output, either from the mic jack or bottom port (unamplified line out), directly into the Z radio, if possible.

Do you know of a place in the bay area that can integrate my iPod into the stock Z radio (has integrated 6 disc CD-changer, without Sat button)? Thanks in advance for any information.
How terrible is the iTrip FM transmitter compared to the cassette adapter?
Old 08-27-2004, 10:08 AM
PATB

I have the iTrip Mini (my iPod is a mini). Due to the large number of stations in the Bay Area, I can hardly get decent reception. Although it works decently in my house, it is not acceptable in the Z. The sound is almost like AM, assuming you can get a decent reception! The sound would break up from time to time depending on where you place it in the Z (in mine, it works best in the back, passenger side upper glove compartment with the door open). It is well accepted in the ipodlounge.com that cassette is better than the iTrip. I had to waste $39 (for the iTrip) to prove it to myself. I recommend getting the Sony cassette adapter for $19.95 at Frys if you don't have a direct audio input to the Z sound system.
Old 08-27-2004, 10:29 AM
bz8

I have the iTrip Mini (my iPod is a mini). Due to the large number of stations in the Bay Area, I can hardly get decent reception. Although it works decently in my house, it is not acceptable in the Z. The sound is almost like AM, assuming you can get a decent reception! The sound would break up from time to time depending on where you place it in the Z (in mine, it works best in the back, passenger side upper glove compartment with the door open). It is well accepted in the ipodlounge.com that cassette is better than the iTrip. I had to waste $39 (for the iTrip) to prove it to myself. I recommend getting the Sony cassette adapter for $19.95 at Frys if you don't have a direct audio input to the Z sound system.
Thanks for the great info PATB!!
Old 08-27-2004, 11:27 AM
Z-INCOGNITO

Originally posted by bz8
Henry, how much was the Belkin Tunecast II FM Transmitter? I'm looking in getting something for my iPod mini too.
I think i got it for $39 at Fry's... Yeah you have to search for good frequencies... but it beats loggin a buncha CD's...
(i do have to use the stock antenna for best result)...
Old 08-27-2004, 11:53 AM
PATB

I just found a possible solution. Auto Sound and Security in Sunnyvale is a PAC (Pacific Accessory Corporation) dealer. I just talked to PAC and was told they sell an auxilliary audio input module for satellite-ready 350Z. Well, it turns out that 2004 350Z Touring Coupe with Bose Audio Zs are satellite ready! If you don't have the satellite hook-up, you can instead use the PAC module. Auto Sound and Security said they can put the auxilliary audio input as a 3.5mm jack in the navigation compartment (I don't have navigation). This allows me to connect the iPod microphone jack directly into the Bose radio. I can also hide the iPod in the navigation area. I was told I can select the auxilliary input using the AM/FM selection button if I don't have the satellite radio and my car is satellite-ready. Does this make sense to you guys? Anyways, if you can recommend a better place to place the aux jack, please let me know.

The catch is that it costs $200, including installation. Kinda steep but I am willing to try to see how it works. You can probably get the PAC module someplace else and install it yourself, but I just don't have the talent nor the time to do that. I hope the Auto Sound guys are good. I'll let you guys know.
Old 08-27-2004, 11:55 AM
longbowe

IIRC, there's gotta be some way of plugging into the amplifier via an RCA jack; they just didn't make the port open on the console. But that would mean probably drilling, or at least cutting pieces, I'd think. PATB, is the iTrip really that bad? I was considering it, but now I don't know.
Old 08-27-2004, 12:17 PM
PATB

Longbowe,

The iTrip mini is definitely BAD in the Z in the Bay Area. I am not sure about the full-size iTrip, but it is probably as bad. From what I gather, the list from good to bad is as follows:
1) Direct input (best);
2) Cassette adapter;
3) FM Modulator;
4) FM transmitter (worse; iTrip etc.).
Checkout ipodlounge.com, in the in-car solutions section. BTW, I know the iTrip mini is bad from experience. I did my research AFTER I found out the iTrip mini is not going to cut it. I can get acceptable sound quality inside the house with the iTrip mini, but that's about it.

BTW, the cassette adapter is an acceptable solution.

Pat
Old 08-27-2004, 07:53 PM
kosta157

pac piece would be the best it is a direct hook up, i don't think you will be using am/fm button to select anything if it plugs into the sat. input you would use your sat. radio butto to select it. i will find out how much the piece alone costs and let you guys know tommorow.
Old 08-27-2004, 10:22 PM
longbowe

Originally posted by kosta157
pac piece would be the best it is a direct hook up, i don't think you will be using am/fm button to select anything if it plugs into the sat. input you would use your sat. radio butto to select it. i will find out how much the piece alone costs and let you guys know tommorow.
So let me get this straight. We'd be plugging into the XM button?
Old 08-28-2004, 07:02 AM
PATB

The 350Z does not have a SAT button. According to my manual, the "Radio" button will cycle through FM1/FM2/AM/SAT1/SAT2 if you have the satellite radio (can have up to two, apparently). This is probably why the pac module requires a satellite-ready 350Z (i.e., BOSE audio system). According to Courtesy nissan (http://www.courtesyparts.com/satellite_radio/), the 2004 Touring coupe is satellite ready, but the roadster is not. I am wondering, does this mean the touring roadster ddoes not have the same BOSE audio system as the touring couple?

I will post this question in the audio section to see if the 350Z touring coupe is ACTUALLY satellite-ready.
Old 08-29-2004, 12:31 PM
goku

Originally posted by longbowe
is the iTrip really that bad? [/B]
Contrary to what others have posted here, I dont think its that bad. I use an iTrip Mini, for my Mini. Is the sound CD quality? Hell no. Is it as good as a strong FM station like 94.9, sometimes. Overall, I'm happy with my purchase. I have a track model so I dont have a cassette player.

If you can use a cassette adapter, skip the iTrip.

Last edited by goku; 08-29-2004 at 12:39 PM.
Old 08-30-2004, 03:40 PM
DeludedBuzz

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Dension Ice Link

Dension makes adapters that work.

Dension ICE Link

Unfortunately they don't/can't make enough so they're seriously back ordered on the Nissan version.

I saw one on an M3 this weekend and its pretty sweet, but it sounds like it'll be a while before we can get one in a 350z.
Old 08-30-2004, 09:23 PM
longbowe

It's for 3G though. I've got 4G.
Old 01-04-2005, 08:53 PM
pablo

I had my stereo put in at Auto Sound Security Alarm & Stereo. Nothing elaborate: replaced all speakers, deck, and put in an amp. They did a great job and my system sounds great.
Old 01-05-2005, 06:30 AM
ZBoater

Default Re: Anybody able to integrate their iPod into the 350Z radio?

If your Touring radio is Satellite ready, you can use the adapter from PAC audio to give you 2 aux inputs into your radio, so you can connect your iPod and something else. Check my thread here for pics and details.

https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....t=zboater+ipod
Old 01-11-2005, 08:59 PM
DeludedBuzz

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Apple announced today that Nissan is going to offer factory installed iPod adaptors, ala iPod Your BMW. Too bad BMW doesn't offer its steering mounted radio controls here (and doesn't help us with older 350z's).

Quick Reply: Anybody able to integrate their iPod into the 350Z radio?