Notices
Pacific Alaska, Hawaii

Lu'au questions.

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2006, 10:56 PM
Dream

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Remember, it's not a local-style luau without lomi salmon, poke, opihi, poi, laulau, squid luau, kalua pig, rice and haupia. Make sure you have Hawaiian music playing in the background, like Makaha Sons or Bruddah Iz. Oh, and you also need lots of beer. The beer is key, because no luau is complete without someone getting all jag, busting out the uke and playing Somewhere Over The Rainbow or White Sandy Beach. All the aloha shirt crap you see on TV is just tourist hype. Real luaus only need the food and the people.

Post the pics when you get a chance. Our family hasn't done an imu in years, so I'd like to see someone do one again.
Old 06-27-2006, 12:25 PM
bamyi

Originally Posted by Dream
Remember, it's not a local-style luau without lomi salmon, poke, opihi, poi, laulau, squid luau, kalua pig, rice and haupia. Make sure you have Hawaiian music playing in the background, like Makaha Sons or Bruddah Iz. Oh, and you also need lots of beer. The beer is key, because no luau is complete without someone getting all jag, busting out the uke and playing Somewhere Over The Rainbow or White Sandy Beach. All the aloha shirt crap you see on TV is just tourist hype. Real luaus only need the food and the people.

Post the pics when you get a chance. Our family hasn't done an imu in years, so I'd like to see someone do one again.
you're getting me even more excited about this.
Old 07-27-2006, 12:15 PM
dkmaxitus

so did the luau go down aleady??? if it did, how'd it go with the imu?
Old 07-29-2006, 01:40 PM
bamyi

Oh, I'm sorry. Yeah it went, but it was a big flop.

I got a 75 lb pig, did the rock, banana leaves and everything. After 10 hours, we dig up the pig only to find that it was still raw. I don't honestly know what went wrong but I have some guesses.

I think I need more rocks, better woods and a smaller pit. I'll try to post pics tomorrow and you guys can see.

Its a huge set back but I'm not giving up.