Notices
Photography Techniques, Cameras, Lenses, & Equipment

Canon Rebel XTi Sigma Lens (Opinion Needed)

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2007, 08:11 PM
mchong75

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Canon Rebel XTi Sigma Lens (Opinion Needed)

I purchased a Canon Rebel XTi and I'm looking for couple of aftermarket lenses.

I've read professional reviews and few novice reviews but, want some additional feedback on these lenses if anyone has ever experienced using Sigma DG lenses.

I am a novice DSLR photographer so, for the price and the features both lenses offer, I think it’s a great bargain.

1 Canon Sigma Zoom Telephoto 70-300mm f/4-5.6 APO DG Macro Autofocus Lens
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...ughType=search

2 Canon Sigma Zoom Wide Angle-Telephoto 28-70mm f/2.8-4 DG Compact High Speed Zoom Autofocus Lens
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...#goto_itemInfo
Old 04-25-2007, 08:20 PM
_NIZMO_

Choice #2 and get yourself a cheap 50mmf1.8 while your at it.
Old 04-25-2007, 08:22 PM
_NIZMO_

What it comes to lens I never cheap out, so I haven't heard much good about sigma, ask any photographer and they'll tell you that the glass in your lenses is one of the most important things in image quality.
Old 04-25-2007, 08:23 PM
r0mey
350Z-holic

no 2 also
Old 04-25-2007, 08:26 PM
B-Unit

Yea.

Dont go with the sigma!

WHy arent you getting an EFS lens made by Canon??

-B-
Old 04-25-2007, 08:29 PM
mchong75

Originally Posted by B-Unit
Yea.

Dont go with the sigma!

WHy arent you getting an EFS lens made by Canon??

-B-
Price range for Canon EFS is $450 to $550 a piece.
Old 04-25-2007, 08:29 PM
B-Unit

yea.

get the good lens.

the cheapys will not satisfy you.

-B-
Old 04-25-2007, 08:41 PM
MagicPie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Everyone complains about Sigma, just because its cool to.
There lenses are fine and are a good value, so many people are never happy until they convince someone to spend there life savings on camera equipment

You pictures will look the same with the Sigma as they would with a lens that cost 10 times as much.

Sigma are fine, they tend to have some distortion and vignetting at there extreme wides and zooms but what lens realistically priced doesnt. In fact I doubt you even notice, and even then the problems only present themselves in rare situations

Get those Sigmas and save your money, spend it on learning composition, rules and techniques. That is far more important then what camera or lens you have

People who suggest expensive equipment, often dont know what the hell there talking about, they simply think expensive means good and their fancy equipment will make up for lack of skills

Last edited by MagicPie; 04-25-2007 at 08:45 PM.
Old 04-25-2007, 08:44 PM
Endless Shock

Get an "L" ... You will NOT be disappointed I own a 24-105 USM IS and a 70-200 USM IS... Build and opticts will make you
Old 04-25-2007, 08:45 PM
Endless Shock

Also... Try www.fredmiranda.com... A lot of user reviews that might help you with your decision...
Old 04-25-2007, 09:18 PM
_NIZMO_

Originally Posted by MagicPie
Everyone complains about Sigma, just because its cool to.
There lenses are fine and are a good value, so many people are never happy until they convince someone to spend there life savings on camera equipment

You pictures will look the same with the Sigma as they would with a lens that cost 10 times as much.

Sigma are fine, they tend to have some distortion and vignetting at there extreme wides and zooms but what lens realistically priced doesnt. In fact I doubt you even notice, and even then the problems only present themselves in rare situations

Get those Sigmas and save your money, spend it on learning composition, rules and techniques. That is far more important then what camera or lens you have

People who suggest expensive equipment, often dont know what the hell there talking about, they simply think expensive means good and their fancy equipment will make up for lack of skills

I highly doubt my photo's will look the same if I were to use a cheaper lens my friend. What next I'll get DSLR quality picks from a Polaroid camera.
Old 04-25-2007, 09:22 PM
_NIZMO_

as to your theory that expensive is better, hahahah. Half the photo's in my port. were taken with a d80 with a $150 nikkor 50mm lens, please know what the heck your talking about before using an ignorant comment.
Old 04-25-2007, 09:35 PM
MagicPie

Originally Posted by _NIZMO_
I highly doubt my photo's will look the same if I were to use a cheaper lens my friend. What next I'll get DSLR quality picks from a Polaroid camera.
I've done similar things before on camera forums with success and point proved

Originally Posted by _NIZMO_
as to your theory that expensive is better, hahahah. Half the photo's in my port. were taken with a d80 with a $150 nikkor 50mm lens, please know what the heck your talking about before using an ignorant comment.
I dont know what you mean, your statement contradicts your previous

I dont care anyways, nor want to get in a argument, I dont have to prove myself

the OP ask opinions and I gave mine,

Last edited by MagicPie; 04-25-2007 at 09:39 PM.
Old 04-25-2007, 09:39 PM
_NIZMO_

Am up for the challenge, I've done similar things before on camera forums

I dont even know what your talking about, your statement contradicts your previous

I dont care anyways, they OP ask opinions and I gave mine, I dont have to prove myself
It doesn't really contradict my previous statement b/c 150 dollar lens is still a nikon branded lens, prob. there highest rated lens. So what I mean is the op can still get canon quality for about the same price.
Old 04-25-2007, 09:43 PM
MagicPie

oh gotcha, but I dont think Canon has lenses for the price of the Sigma with the same values, but I havent looked. Still think the Sigma are a good buy

Didnt mean to edit, after you post, must of been doing it while you were typing.
Old 04-25-2007, 09:45 PM
_NIZMO_

well I always recommend the 50mm f1.8 from either cannon or nikon, but then again you can only go so far with such a lens. I can't wait tell they design some crazy digital lens, with the benefits of every lens out there.........prob never.
Old 04-26-2007, 08:23 AM
Ante Up

Hey MChong if you are considering sigma lenses, the 70-300 APO version which is priced around 185-190 is considered a very nice lens for its price range. With your second choice, is this going to be replacing your kit lens and will this be used for outdoor shots? I've also heard good things about the 28-70 and even better reviews on the 18-50 f/2.8. I am a prime lens guy and I will be getting the sigma 30 f/1.4 when funds are freed up...lol BTW we have the same camera! I am on photography-on-the.net more than any other sites.

edit: if you are looking at #2 still check out http://www.sigma4less.com/shopdata/g...=SG2870F284DCA
with the money saved, you can possibly get a polarizing filter...a must have for outdoor shots during the day

Last edited by Ante Up; 04-26-2007 at 08:29 AM.
Old 04-26-2007, 08:51 AM
Vlad

So why are you buying DSLR? To impress girls? To feel good about yourself? Or to improve your photography?

If it's the last one - please do really read something before you spend your money. Lens defines biggest % of your pictures, and that's were you most of your money should go - to buy good glass. You are planning on doing exactly opposite. Might as well stay with P&S and buy lots of beer with saved money.

If you can't afford good Canon glass... Get older, used body, and buy ONE good L lens with saved money (okay, may be it won't be enough, but close). Right now you are aiming to join army of clueless amateurs who have no idea what they doing.
Old 04-26-2007, 09:04 AM
mchong75

Originally Posted by Vlad
So why are you buying DSLR? To impress girls? To feel good about yourself? Or to improve your photography?

If it's the last one - please do really read something before you spend your money. Lens defines biggest % of your pictures, and that's were you most of your money should go - to buy good glass. You are planning on doing exactly opposite. Might as well stay with P&S and buy lots of beer with saved money.

If you can't afford good Canon glass... Get older, used body, and buy ONE good L lens with saved money (okay, may be it won't be enough, but close). Right now you are aiming to join army of clueless amateurs who have no idea what they doing.

I’m not sure if the comment was to me or what?

Until than…I’ll keep my mouth shut.
Old 04-26-2007, 09:08 AM
mchong75

Originally Posted by Ante Up
Hey MChong if you are considering sigma lenses, the 70-300 APO version which is priced around 185-190 is considered a very nice lens for its price range. With your second choice, is this going to be replacing your kit lens and will this be used for outdoor shots? I've also heard good things about the 28-70 and even better reviews on the 18-50 f/2.8. I am a prime lens guy and I will be getting the sigma 30 f/1.4 when funds are freed up...lol BTW we have the same camera! I am on photography-on-the.net more than any other sites.

edit: if you are looking at #2 still check out http://www.sigma4less.com/shopdata/g...=SG2870F284DCA
with the money saved, you can possibly get a polarizing filter...a must have for outdoor shots during the day
My 1st choice of lens was these:

Canon EF-S 17-85MM F/4-5.6 IS USM Zoom Super Wide Angle autofocus Lens & Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS Image Stabilizer USM Zoom Telephoto autofocus Lens.

But, starting out as a beginner, I didn't think it was a wise decision to invest into expensive lenses until I'm more knowledge of DSLR photography.

Quick Reply: Canon Rebel XTi Sigma Lens (Opinion Needed)