Notices
Shop Builds Temp moving posts for some clean up of this section.

GT Motorsports: Turbonetics ST? 500+ RWHP? No problem!

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2007, 08:40 PM
Sam@GTM
Sponsor
GT Motorsports

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation GT Motorsports: Turbonetics ST? 500+ RWHP? No problem!

Gilbert is a long time loyal customer of ours, we appreciate his patience throughout the process and I am glad it has payed of for him. Below is what we believe to be is the FIRST 526whp unmodified Turbonetics single turbo system.

Before any drama begins, I want to clarify that this is not a jab at any shop, and the only reason we were able to make this kind of power is because Gilbert is the first Turbonetics customer that has allowed us to do what we deemed necessary to make this type of power, although it was not easy to convince him to do so He wanted a 500rwhp Turbonetics car, and we delivered.

Hopefully this will give current and future Turbonetics owners hope, and idea of what they will need in order to break the 500rwhp mark. Keep in mind that with a better head package, more aggressive cams, and some Water/Meth injection, it would be even easier to make this type of power.

"REDHOT 500WHP Z"

Turbonetics 350Z Single Turbo System - STOCK/UNMODIFIED(minus wastegate)
GTM Stage 1 Short block
GTM Stage 1 Heads
GTM Stage 1 Cams
GTM VQ ARP 2000 11mm head studs
GTM Exedy Twin Disc Carbon Clutch
GTM Turbonetics A/C Line kit
GTM ECU Flash
HKS FCon VPro EMS
HKS EVC 6 Boost Controller
HKS EGT Feedback Compensation
RSR GT Exhaust
Turbonetics Water Cooled Turbo
TiAL 38mm External Wastegate
CJM Stage 1 Return Fuel system
RC 650cc Injectors
Walbro 255lph Fuel pump
All new timing components

Some Videos for the GTM doubters :

Conservative, 91 octane tunes:

10PSI

11PSI

13PSI Tapering to 12PSI

Less Conservative, 100 octane tunes:

14PSI Tapering to 12PSI

15PSI Tapering to 13PSI

17PSI Tapering to 15PSI

Due to some concern mentioned in the past, I would like to point out that this was accomplished in less than 20 dyno runs, the reason there are so many runs is because Gilbert is a long time customer and that is the total number of runs since we first tuned his car back in 05.

This car did exceptionally well, we are very impressed not only with the power this car made, but also how well it carries the power to redline. To be honest we originally had doubts of the car being able to make this kind of power, but I am glad we got the results we did.

To be safe, we had a EGT probe mounted on the number 1 runner on the exhaust manifold, 2 inches away from the head, feeding back to the Vpro so we could data log how the EGT's were reacting. Another thing about this car that was surprising is that it WAS NOT difficult to make this kind of power and we did not push the car to its limits, with some C16 and pushing the car even further we feel 600rwhp is close. Goes to show you what the right components and proper tuning can do.

Please enjoy the pictures of the finished product below:

Sam

GT Motorsports

Last edited by Sam@GTM; 11-29-2007 at 09:45 PM.
Old 11-29-2007, 08:45 PM
delsolkid

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So Heres The Big How Much $$$$$$$
Old 11-29-2007, 08:50 PM
Hexxum001

Wow!! That is some SICK power!!! Great job Sam and congrats to the owner!
Old 11-29-2007, 08:57 PM
JAM3Z
Phenom

Originally Posted by delsolkid
So Heres The Big How Much $$$$$$$
wtf?

at any rate, that is a hot car, and definitely pushes the limits of what i thought a turbonetics kit can do.
Old 11-29-2007, 09:02 PM
Zilvia

looks like craig has been beaten....lol j/k

beastly seat up
Old 11-29-2007, 09:02 PM
RED HOT Z

I just want to thank Sam my buddy George and the whole GTM team for this great accomplishment I think. I always believed it could be done and now here is proof! Like Sam said this has been a real long project in the making with alot of changes being done through out the project. I'm glad Sam and George convinced me to spend every last penny in what really matters. I just wanted to add that I am extremely happy with the performance of my GTM clutch. I previously had a JWT combo and my current set up does not compare to this as far as performance, chatter and over all stock feel.

THANKS GUYS!

It's nice to be the first!
Old 11-29-2007, 09:10 PM
TayTaythatsme04

Nice job guys

T
Old 11-29-2007, 09:15 PM
IIQuickSilverII

Received 215 Likes on 184 Posts

526 STD dynojet.,,.. NICE!!! that a good milestone for turbonetics turbo... about 490s SAE maybe.

Congrats to the owner, the car sounds crazy on the dyno

are you next TayTaythatsme04?

Last edited by IIQuickSilverII; 11-29-2007 at 09:26 PM.
Old 11-29-2007, 09:17 PM
MMC Racing

What a beast! Awesome numbers on a ST
Old 11-29-2007, 09:27 PM
r0mey
350Z-holic

wow thats are some crazy turbonetic numbers
Old 11-29-2007, 09:29 PM
taurran

Originally Posted by Zilvia
looks like craig has been beaten....lol j/k

beastly seat up
My car made over 500whp a month or two ago, and it wasn't even on a final tune (just rough) and no c16.

But, as you can see in the dyno sheet the torque falls off on the top end and it makes less power and more torque when turning up the boost. This is evidence of the bottleneck present in the kit .

But then again, my car's not a completely stock Turbonetics kit with just an upgraded wastegate. These results are VERY impressive for the minimal amount of modification to the turbo kit itself. I'm surprised it made 500whp at all in all honesty with that piping. I think it is a combination of the control of the FCON Vpro and also that heads that allowed it to make the power that it did. The highest I've seen otherwise has been about 470-480whp DJ SAE. However, I don't believe it's remotely possible to pull 600whp out of that piping configuration.

Great numbers for the Turbonetics kit, indeed! Congrats!

Last edited by taurran; 11-29-2007 at 09:34 PM.
Old 11-29-2007, 09:30 PM
GTM
Vendor - Former Vendor

Originally Posted by IIQuickSilverII
526 STD dynojet.,,.. NICE!!! that a good milestone for turbonetics turbo... about 490s SAE maybe.

Thanks for the compliments, but your SAE calculations are WAY off though. The difference is actually ~2%, just for you I went back to the Dyno and printed out a SAE dyno graph to avoid any confusion, still well over 500rwhp.

Not bad for a completely original piping Turbonetics kit

P.S. If this was a shop car we would have made 600rwhp, no need to put a customers car through that type of stress though

-George
GT Motorsports

Last edited by GTM; 11-29-2007 at 09:34 PM.
Old 11-29-2007, 09:37 PM
taurran

Originally Posted by George@GTM
P.S. If this was a shop car we would have made 600rwhp, no need to put a customers car through that type of stress though
No offense, but I'd have to see it to believe it. I'm the biggest Turbonetics advocate on this forum and I'll be the first to say that the piping is just inadequate for that kind of power (in more ways than one). I think you've succeeded in pushing the ragged limits of what is possible, however.
Old 11-29-2007, 09:39 PM
GTM
Vendor - Former Vendor

Originally Posted by taurran
My car made over 500whp a month or two ago, and it wasn't even on a final tune (just rough) and no c16.

But, as you can see in the dyno sheet the torque falls off on the top end and it makes less power and more torque when turning up the boost. This is evidence of the bottleneck present in the kit .

But then again, my car's not a completely stock Turbonetics kit with just an upgraded wastegate. These results are VERY impressive for the minimal amount of modification to the turbo kit itself. I'm surprised it made 500whp at all in all honesty with that piping. I think it is a combination of the control of the FCON Vpro and also that heads that allowed it to make the power that it did. The highest I've seen otherwise has been about 470-480whp DJ SAE. However, I don't believe it's remotely possible to pull 600whp out of that piping configuration.

Thanks for the compliments Craig, and no offense taken we are just debating, no doubt we are reaching the limit of this kit, but Sam does believe that with some C16, an aggressive tune, and different waste gate spring, we can achieve 600rwhp. If Gilbert wants to push the envelope even farther, we can do it

By the way, the reason the Torque is so much higher than the HP is because due the the waste gate spring pressure being so low, boost is tapering off, we believe with a stiffer spring the horsepower and torque would be better matched as in the earlier, lower boost graphs. I could be wrong though

P.S. Sorry I did not know your car had made 500whp, the dynograph I saw in your thread only showed 450, I might have missed the 500rwhp graph in some other page? (no sarcasm btw)
Old 11-29-2007, 09:47 PM
IIQuickSilverII

Received 215 Likes on 184 Posts

well isnt the turbo rated to like 550hp basically..for a 60-1 t3...... and 2.5" dp...and as you said, you are already experiencing more tq than whp...
I am sure you can get it to 600whp but a few modification would def be needed which would include a bigger turbo
Old 11-29-2007, 09:52 PM
GTM
Vendor - Former Vendor

well isnt the turbo rated to like 550hp basically..for a 60-1 t3...... and 2.5" dp...and as you said, you are already experiencing more tq than whp...
I am sure you can get it to 600whp but a few modification would def be needed which would include a bigger turbo
If you look at the graph, and not just the numbers, you can clearly see that the torque is so high for 2 reason:

1) its the torque peak of the engine when full boost kicks in
2) Its where the turbo creates the most boost then tapers off, due to the low spring pressure on the waste gate.
3) Based on what Sam and I discuss, it was really not that hard to make this kind of power and we are a bit surprised that is has not been done before.

By replacing the spring in the waste gate that will allow us to hold boost steadily to redline, which will in turn match up the horsepower closer to the torque numbers as shown in the lower boost graphs where the waste gate on the car currently works perfectly.

As far as the torque drop off, that will happen on any VQ, regardless if its single turbo, twin turbo, or triple turbo, the torque always drops off towards red line, unless you have VVEL

-George
GT Motorsports
Old 11-29-2007, 11:01 PM
carfi179

Wow very impressive specially with the stock turbonetics piping! Only thing I would add to that set-up is water/meth injetion. George, Let Sam know I'm next just give me 2 months
Old 11-29-2007, 11:07 PM
TayTaythatsme04

I see hope again for this kit after this thread. I was getting worried about ever being able to make good power out of this kit when Craig stated that there was no original TN piping left in his kit now. If Sam can recreate this again . . . I'm game

BTW sent you a PM Sam

T
Old 11-30-2007, 01:46 AM
Zilvia

Originally Posted by taurran

dam when did this happen....how did i miss this dyno
Old 11-30-2007, 02:01 AM
Wired 24/7
Dr. Wired

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

loving the flat HP curves... very nice setup but you have ***** to have an engine bay mounted turbo in CA with CA registration

Quick Reply: GT Motorsports: Turbonetics ST? 500+ RWHP? No problem!