Notices
Wheels & Tires 350Z Rollers and Rubbers

Replica Wheels - Do They Deserve The Bad Reputation? I Aim To Find Out.

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2016, 10:57 AM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 3,271 Likes on 2,328 Posts

Originally Posted by driftsucky
First of all, KUDOS for this. I'm so glad someone actually did the wrench work. Not because I genuinely care about the outcome, but because I'm so sick of wheel ****** getting all butthurt about reps. I've found that most people that get upset about them don't use them at the track, and aren't yelling at people who care about the track. It's because they've spent gobs of money on their carpet queen and don't like someone to spend less than gobs of money to look like their carpet queen. But, I digress. I'm still glad this is happening.

I've never bought reps, but it isn't because I'm fundamentally against them. I'd totally buy Varrs ES6 (work meister reps), but I've actually gotten pretty good and finding used wheels that I want or used wheels that I can rebuild. so, I've yet to be able to justify new wheels on any of my imports (couple 240's, a 350Z, and a G35). But, some people don't have the patience to wait on something to pop up on a car that they don't drive every day (at no point have any of the RWD Nissans been my main car). Cool to see this play out.
Thanks drift, that's the whole point of this. Not trying to prove or disprove anything, real versus replica/inexpensive. Just wanted to see if rep wheels are as bad as everyone says - given MY type of driving.

I've got about 500 miles on them now - not much less mileage than my usual wheels and I purposely tried to beat 'em up - again, on MY roads only and that's what counts here cuz yes, it's all about me. Laff..... But if it helps someone else make an educated buying decision, well, all good then.

And so far, nothing to write about that hasn't already been written. No issues other than the adjustments I've made (see below and in previous posts regarding suspension tweaks to accommodate these).

Is this conclusive - even for this particular wheel? Nope. Not in the least. I mean, there's nothing remarkable at all one way or the other so I'll just keep drivin' - at least until I get bored of 'em.

Originally Posted by dboyzalter
How do they look at 29mm?
You can be the judge.

BEFORE (with 15mm bolt-on spacers, 18x9.5, effective offset +19mm):

And AFTER (with 5mm slip-on spacers, effective offset +29mm):

So, IMO, subjectively/aesthetically, sure, the bumped out setup LOOKS better. But all-show-no-go isn't my thing so I'll take the performance (that is, my preference of, YMMV) over it looking nice if that's the tradeoff.

Last edited by MicVelo; 06-14-2016 at 10:59 AM.
The following users liked this post:
driftsucky (06-20-2016)
Old 06-20-2016, 01:13 PM
driftsucky

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

This should be a sticky. Seriously. GREAT job.
Old 06-20-2016, 01:59 PM
WPPJR30

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

Why? Not trying to start an argument here... However, hypothetically, say Mic does not break his replica wheel doing "his type of driving," is that enough to draw the very broad and, I argue, dangerous conclusion that replica wheels do not deserve their "bad reputation"?

Say another member decides to do his own type of "testing" and hits a pothole and his wheel does not bend, but smashes into a million pieces and he draws a conclusion stating the exact opposite, would that thread deserve to be stickied, as well?
Old 06-20-2016, 02:38 PM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Originally Posted by WPPJR30
Why? Not trying to start an argument here... However, hypothetically, say Mic does not break his replica wheel doing "his type of driving," is that enough to draw the very broad and, I argue, dangerous conclusion that replica wheels do not deserve their "bad reputation"?

Say another member decides to do his own type of "testing" and hits a pothole and his wheel does not bend, but smashes into a million pieces and he draws a conclusion stating the exact opposite, would that thread deserve to be stickied, as well?
While I appreciate the "sticky" comment, drift, thanks, I have to agree with WPPJR30's sentiment. This thread is about satisfying my curiousity, is non-scientific and with a representative sample of *one*, even I - who had to take statistics twice cuz I was too busy playing with my 240Z - knows that this amounts to about a .01 probability of correct corollaries. That is, "one wheel that worked/didn't work."

What I will say however, after throwing a bunch of stuff at 'em, the only remarkable thing I have concluded.... I either can't park or these wheels, with their relative "poke", scuff a lot. Probably both. Laff....

Having fun trying to see what's what with them though. Cheap excuse to visit my favorite roads more frequently. The "long way to work" as it were.

Last edited by MicVelo; 06-20-2016 at 02:39 PM.
Old 06-20-2016, 03:28 PM
dboyzalter
6 inch cawk is my fave!

Received 972 Likes on 759 Posts

Originally Posted by MicVelo
[B][COLOR="Blue"]You can be the judge.

BEFORE (with 15mm bolt-on spacers, 18x9.5, effective offset +19mm):

]
Thanks I just ordered new wheels and tires that will essentially be the exact same as this front wheel set up... Hopefully I can live with the handling difference. Something tells me your more picky than me.

I didnt get high bling JDM forged track wheels but it still wasn't easy for my cheap a$$ to spend the $
Old 06-20-2016, 03:31 PM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Thanks I just ordered new wheels and tires that will essentially be the exact same as this front wheel set up... Hopefully I can live with the handling difference. Something tells me your more picky than me.

I didnt get high bling JDM forged track wheels but it still wasn't easy for my cheap a$$ to spend the $
Cool beans, Mike, wudja order?
Old 06-20-2016, 03:48 PM
dboyzalter
6 inch cawk is my fave!

Cool beans, Mike, wudja order?

Enkei kojin 18x9.5 +15 square 245/40front 265/40 rears... After weeks and weeks looking on craigslist and considering all these wheels with not great offset, and questionable pasts I finally pulled the trigger and hit that checkout button on tire rack. Let my next obsessive search for something begin.

Wife didnt like the rpf1 because she said little spokes are ugly.

Last edited by dboyzalter; 06-20-2016 at 03:49 PM.
Old 06-20-2016, 03:50 PM
travlee
Master

Received 9,099 Likes on 6,556 Posts

wtf is that molly poppin bear lookin thing in your phone bar dboy?

Last edited by travlee; 06-20-2016 at 03:51 PM.
Old 06-20-2016, 03:56 PM
dboyzalter
6 inch cawk is my fave!

I was worried the 245/40/18 was going to be streched a little on the 9.5 wheel buy yours looks perfectly fine so it helped... And the 265/35/19 on yours is basically the same size as the 265/40/18 so that helped also... So your test was all around very helpful for me
Old 06-20-2016, 04:02 PM
dboyzalter
6 inch cawk is my fave!

Originally Posted by travlee
wtf is that molly poppin bear lookin thing in your phone bar dboy?

They send me notifications all the time I get all excited like someone text me, and then I get let down
Old 06-22-2016, 06:50 AM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Enkei kojin 18x9.5 +15 square 245/40front 265/40 rears... After weeks and weeks looking on craigslist and considering all these wheels with not great offset, and questionable pasts I finally pulled the trigger and hit that checkout button on tire rack. Let my next obsessive search for something begin.

Wife didnt like the rpf1 because she said little spokes are ugly.

Most excellent, Mike.
Old 06-22-2016, 09:34 AM
dboyzalter
6 inch cawk is my fave!

Tire rack apparently didnt like my selection they said they wouldn't fit without fender modification and asked if I wanted to change my order before they ordered them...
Old 06-22-2016, 10:06 AM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Tire rack apparently didnt like my selection they said they wouldn't fit without fender modification and asked if I wanted to change my order before they ordered them...
If no one has noticed, Tire Rack is VERY conservative in their "recommendations" of what fits and what doesn't.

NOT saying they're wrong at all as they are a wealth of great information (and still a primary source of tires for me). However, very few of their recommended tires/wheels are aggressive enough to please this crowd. Laff...

And it IS possible that your +15s won't work without mods despite everyone and their moms running that offset with no issues. Car to car, wheel to wheel, some variances.

I'm sure Neal will chime in here at some point.
Old 06-22-2016, 11:51 AM
SPM350Z

Received 163 Likes on 97 Posts

Yeah...they said the same when I ordered mine. Customer service rep called and said he wanted to verify that I did in fact want those sizes and once I did he said fine and put the order in. I think they have to cover themselves and say "We RECONFIRMED this is what the customer wanted" in case people order something that's going to cause problems or damage their car in any way.

Shawn
Old 06-28-2016, 12:49 PM
AffyliatedZ

Received 29 Likes on 21 Posts

Mic - awesome write-up and I'm happy you chose Vordovens since I have the Forme 9s in 19s (which I got for a measly $800 for the set). I was originally supposed to get Cosmis wheels (still cast but better reputation) however they only came in 18s - I didn't want to spend the extra $1000+ on new tires.

To add to your write-up, my Vordovens have taken a beating in DC (pot hole city). I check for cracks on a regular basis and they are still holding up strong.

Old 07-11-2016, 05:34 AM
Phenom
Toasty

Received 1,382 Likes on 990 Posts

Wheels are a classic "pick 2" situation

-Strong
-Light
-Cheap

I prefer my wheels to be strong and light so I don't mind spending a little more.

With reps you can have cheap and somewhat strong or cheap and somewhat light. Somewhat strong reps will weigh as much as boat anchors, and somewhat light reps where the manufacturer just makes everything thin to keep the weight down will inevitably become bent up pieces of trash.
Old 07-28-2016, 04:24 PM
illudr

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by WPPJR30

Bruh, why are you hating? Let this man live.

Mic, keep on doing what you're doing. Great thread.
Old 07-28-2016, 05:17 PM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Originally Posted by illudr
Bruh, why are you hating? Let this man live.

Mic, keep on doing what you're doing. Great thread.
Thanks for that illudr but if you read what I wrote in response to WPPJR30's comment, I take no umbrage to his comment because I do agree with the assessment that a sample of one means absolutely zilch.

Simply stated, I'm satisfying a curiousity and in no way would I paint a broad picture with a brush with only the tip of it dipped in paint. No generalizations can be drawn from this "grand experiment", just having fun with it.

And anyways, anyone who takes anything on a forum serious enough to get butthurt shouldn't be here in the first place. Hahahahahaa......
Old 07-28-2016, 06:05 PM
mr. sparco

Received 454 Likes on 318 Posts

And anyways, anyone who takes anything on a forum serious enough to get butthurt shouldn't be here in the first place. Hahahahahaa......
Your fread sux.
Old 07-28-2016, 07:14 PM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Originally Posted by mr. sparco
Your fread sux.
Sniff sniff..... he hates my thread. Waahhhhhh.

That's OK, I hate your speling.