Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

stock speaker/subwoofer specs

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2016, 02:48 AM
Tachiro-X

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default stock speaker/subwoofer specs

Anyone have or know where to find the specs on the stock speakers? i'm eventually looking to replace the speaker(sub?) behind the driver's seat, but I don't want to end up underestimating the stock specs and buying something that isn't really better.
(I have an 03' with the bose system I guess)
Old 08-15-2016, 03:07 AM
travlee
Master

Received 9,101 Likes on 6,557 Posts

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=350z+bose+radio...e%3Amy350z.com
Old 08-15-2016, 07:05 AM
Tachiro-X

Did you just lmgtfy me? Ok, lol y'know what? Perhaps I could've done a forum search. Actually I have no idea why I didn't do that first. I think I figured if it wasn't in a sticky in the audio/video section then I might as well just start a new thread anyway.

The previous owner bought this standalone powered sub cylinder thing that just barely fits in the trunk on the floor in front of the big arch. It houses what looks like an 8" sub/woofer (could be smaller). Not sure what the logic was behind running that and disconnecting the stock sub, but I'm betting I could do much better with a nicer 10" behind the driver seat for starters. I just need to come up with a clever place to put this 4 channel amp I was using in my old volvo.

I'll report back with pics and updates most likely.
Old 08-15-2016, 07:10 AM
travlee
Master

Received 9,101 Likes on 6,557 Posts

sure did... ha. make sure you run all new wires and speakers. bose operates at a different ohm level than after market speakers
Old 08-15-2016, 06:04 PM
dboyzalter
6 inch cawk is my fave!

Received 972 Likes on 759 Posts

The bose is all garbage... The worst stock system ever.. My honda element puts it to shame... The stock subwoofer is a joke, they should have just stuck a crutchfield catalog back their...

Anyways... Remove all the bose and throw it on the ground... Run new speaker wire to new speakers, and put a sub in the back hatch under the strut bar, or box or whatever floats your boat... The behind the seat space is a good place to hide your amp... If your clever like me you can rig up a little stand and everything...

I just removed mine today... It was great for the year or so that I used it.
Old 08-16-2016, 10:30 AM
JMII

Received 41 Likes on 39 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by dboyzalter
they should have just stuck a crutchfield catalog back their.
so true!
Old 10-07-2016, 08:12 AM
Tachiro-X

Default Updates!

After a couple weeks lurking on the forum, it's looking like there's a general consensus that utilizing the space behind the driver's seat to house an aftermarket sub is just not ideal. HOWEVER, at some point I gave in to the temptation of possibly being in the club that pulled it off successfully. So I started looking into just how much of an inconvenience it would/could be to do it right. Plus if this plan fails, i'm assuming the sound-deadening I already laid down wouldn't have been a waste. So here's a quick log:

- Aftermarket head unit already installed
- I already have my amp (4 channel) going to start wiring it up today. I'm gonna hide it in the glove compartment behind the passenger seat (thanks dboyzalter for the idea)
- The sub and 6.5"s are coming in tomorrow.
- There's a powered 8" sub box already there (previous owner) that i'm taking out after I remove the wires and connect it to the amp

I ordered one of these for behind the driver seat. It doesn't have any other holes in it so I feel like matting the surrounding area would probably be even more important, right? I'm not sure how that works.

This is what i've matted so far. Am I doing this right? Did I already screw something up? Totally open to criticism/advice/warnings since i'm occasionally feeling like i'm moving with a blindfold on.

My next move is to finish applying deadener to the insides of the 6.5" speaker area. I also have no idea how much matting is necessary for any given space.
Old 10-07-2016, 02:38 PM
dboyzalter
6 inch cawk is my fave!

Received 972 Likes on 759 Posts

Well shucks I got a thanks by SN I felt obligated to throw out this masterful tip..

If you want a beefy a$$ awesome ground point their is a hidden threaded section underneath the factory asphalt based sound deadening material.

You will need to buy a 10x1.25 threaded bolt probably 20mm ish

And you will need to remove a section of the asphalt based sound deadening material to get too it, and probably a heat gun and a wire brush...

Your sound deadening is going well, only thing that will suck is if someone decides to remove it...
Old 10-09-2016, 04:23 AM
92K1500

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Shouldn't have covered up the access port to the fuel sender though.