Notices
South Central Kansas, Missouri, Kentucky, Oklahoma, Arkansas, Tennessee, Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama

London to Paris Rally 2009, October 24

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2009, 01:29 PM
Blu Hvn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default London to Paris Rally 2009, October 24

London to Paris, Arkansas that is.
The info below is taken from the Oklahoma Z Car Club website. I have not personally done this but from what I understand the roads and scenery are second to none.
Keep an eye on http://www.teamsanctuary.com/ for more details.

I have received word from Keith Wheeler, Rallymaster for the London-to-Paris Rally, that they are definitely ON for October 24 this year. NOTE CORRECTION OF DATE FROM MY ORIGINAL POST (MY BAD).

OCTOBER 24 (SATURDAY) IS THE CORRECT DATE.

A Saturday date means that you could book a room at a bed-and-breakfast (or any of the motels along I-40) for Saturday night and cruise back home on Sunday if you don't want to do a Marathon drive over and back in one day. I've done the Marathon thing from Tulsa-to-London-and-back on three occasions and found it not as exhausting as I originally feared it would be.

The drive from Tulsa to London is about three hours seat time (I-40 all the way). We left at 6:00 a.m. and were back home after the awards dinner by 10:00 p.m. If motoring over from the Oklahoma City area, I would definitely consider spending the night in Arkansas before heading back.

You could not ask for a more beautiful Autumn foliage tour than the L2P route, and the silky pavement through the Ozarks is fun driving even at legal speeds. There are plenty of breaks "for the relief of driving," and you can be as serious or as casual as you wish for the actual competition of a Time/Speed/Distance (TSD) rally. You may strive to stay exactly on time according to the prescribed speed averages, or (as my team does), just concentrate on staying on the clearly prescribed route and having a good time driving and gawking while staying "sort of" on time.

Cars entered in the past have ranged from classic "Bug-eye" Sprites and TR-3s to Mini Coopers and high-zoot Subarus with full racing graphics. Everyone has a good time at this event, even those driving the family sedan.

All you need is a street-legal car, a $25 entry fee, and a team consisting of a driver and "navigator." The navigator can be anyone over the age of 12 who can read the route instructions to you. You cannot safely read the instructions and drive at the same time. There have been several kids on L2P teams at past events.

Keith and his helpers are struggling to keep the L2P alive, so please try to participate this year. Make a day of it (or a weekend) and just have a good time bonding with the Zee or Gee on roads perfect for driving.

Last edited by Blu Hvn; 09-28-2009 at 01:30 PM.
Old 10-10-2009, 07:33 AM
Blu Hvn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just received word this event has been canceled for 2009. One of the organizers is suffering from a prolonged illness.

Hopefully next year it will be back.