Notices
South East North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia, Florida

Official Gainesville road course June 3 sign up

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2006 | 09:06 AM
screener
Banned

Originally Posted by TrackHoRX8
For $100, that's a lot of track time. I hope someone cancels so I can go! By the time the day is over, people will be very tired.

Who has NOT had any track time before (road course track time, not autocross)?
Yea hang in there bro cause there is some people that have not answered back my PM's.It's still early but if they don't answer me in a timely manner I will be scared into giving away their spot.
Eric
Old 04-07-2006 | 10:01 AM
MoodDude

If TrackHoRX8 goes, than I may be talked into going to. So if you have two people drop out, than put me back on the list.

Talladega was a great track - and learned that I need to bring more gas to an event like this (burned through one full gas tank by 4 PM).
Old 04-07-2006 | 01:50 PM
screener
Banned

Originally Posted by MoodDude
If TrackHoRX8 goes, than I may be talked into going to. So if you have two people drop out, than put me back on the list.

Talladega was a great track - and learned that I need to bring more gas to an event like this (burned through one full gas tank by 4 PM).
Will do, do you want me to put you on the standby list?
Old 04-07-2006 | 06:34 PM
westpak
SFZCC
Premier Member

Hell put me down on the standby list as well, I should have the Z ready by then, I can't make the Zfest one on 4/22 so I am getting the itch.
Old 04-07-2006 | 07:59 PM
TrackHoRX8

I took the liberty (again, disregard if you want, I'm just trying to help) of setting up turn numbers and passing zones. I went to the website and didn't find any info on it, so this way, we can discuss and strategize about turns, parts of the track, and make some guidelines. This track a little shorter than Roebling Road with a lot of the same characteristics (flat, wide constant and decreasing radius turns, transitions, ...) It'll be lots of fun. It'll be hard on tires though.

----------

1-2 full laps with no passing to let tires heat up and get familiar with the track.
Point by to pass when the person behind you is being held up or when you create a train. (more to come on this)

I put turn 1 starting after we enter the track. I also labelled the best straightaway passing zones. 2 is really sharp and too much speed will get someone in trouble. The car won't be stable coming out of 1 yet, so taht needs to a smooth transition.

Have to be careful at 4-5 though because that is a threshold braking zone and with the wide curve around 3/4, you'll be carrying a lot of speed into it.

The Esses are named so in honor of Road Atlanta. If anyone has taken those at 80+ mph, you know what a rush it is. This is a great place to work on weight transition and settling the car for the passing straight. Coming into the straight will be a track out to the driver's side. I have the main passing straight after this because the overall slower cars will hold up traffic though the ess turn.

The end of this is also another hard brake zone. Basically 2 places to pass. Coming back to the front straight is really 2 slight left turns, but most likely, with the speed folks will be taking, it'll be one turn.

OK, more to come later. I'm tired. BTW, we need to have ways of letting people know when to come in (checkered), when they need to let the other person pass (blue), and when there is trouble on the track (yellow). Will there be flags there?
Attached Thumbnails Official Gainesville road course June 3 sign up-grc.jpg  

Last edited by TrackHoRX8; 04-07-2006 at 08:35 PM.
Old 04-07-2006 | 08:43 PM
TrackHoRX8

Originally Posted by audiblemayhem
sounds good guys, this is why eric only wanted to make 20 max, if we do 4 or 5 different cars every 12-15 minutes, i think everyone will be able to run as much as they want since we have the track from 8 30 to 5, thats 8 and a half hours which would mean at least a full hour of driving crazy for each car. i think thats about all our cars could handle and plus once the people dont want to run anymore that lets the last people get to run more....

for a $100 i think this is a great deal and will be a very fun day!!!

I think by the end of the day, people will give up their track time because they will be really tired or their car will be really tired. If peope want, we can do some fun/educational things with that figure 8! We can see how many lateral G's someone can pull. Those transitions from side to side will teach you how to remain smooth and neutral pretty well.

Someone please bring a stopwatch. Also, is there a gas station near by? That will be important. We also need to have a system for those people who are in the paddock to leave to get lunch/gas/whatever between sessions.

Have we found out if we can take passengers? I'd like to take a ride in a TT 350Z on this track if someone will give me one. And of course, my passenger seat will always be open (bring a neck support, I just got a new set of Kuhmo V710's ). If I get on the real list that is....

Last edited by TrackHoRX8; 04-07-2006 at 08:51 PM.
Old 04-07-2006 | 09:42 PM
screener
Banned

Very good info and suggestions Levent.I do not see why your passing areas would not work as long as the point by is followed by a fair amount of deceleration(lifting throttle not braking) while overtaker makes pass offline.Here is a pic Nita faxed me this will help see the lengths of the straights.
Eric

Last edited by screener; 04-07-2006 at 09:46 PM.
Old 04-08-2006 | 04:40 AM
TrackHoRX8

Another thing to do, is change directions 1/2 way though the day if we are able to. Apexes, Turns, Brake/gas zones all change and learning new lines will also teach a lot.
Old 04-08-2006 | 05:45 AM
westpak
SFZCC
Premier Member

Another suggestion for the paddock area is to give up a little track and use the C1/L1 section the section on the bottom to the left. It will give plenty of room for staging and people to use as pits, and it is by the entrance/exit area so people can come and go without worries about the track's ongoings.
Old 04-08-2006 | 06:58 AM
Audible Mayhem
My350z

should be a really fun day however we do it....

cant wait to meet all you guys too!!
Old 04-08-2006 | 11:36 AM
screener
Banned

Another thing to do, is change directions 1/2 way though the day if we are able to. Apexes, Turns, Brake/gas zones all change and learning new lines will also teach a lot.
Way ahead of you there,we will definetly change directions 1/2 way through.
Eric
Old 04-08-2006 | 12:35 PM
TrackHoRX8

We should get a list of people's experience. 20 people, 4 groups of 5.

1. No Prior Road Course Experience
2. Some Autocross Experience
3. Have Done Several HPDE's or Track Days
4. Have Raced Wheel to Wheel before at a Sanctioned Event.

Or we may have to have 2 groups of #1, and then a #2 and #3. We shouldn't put folks with different experience levels on the track at the same time. Can we get a list?
Old 04-08-2006 | 02:16 PM
screener
Banned

We should get a list of people's experience. 20 people, 4 groups of 5.

1. No Prior Road Course Experience
2. Some Autocross Experience
3. Have Done Several HPDE's or Track Days
4. Have Raced Wheel to Wheel before at a Sanctioned Event.

Or we may have to have 2 groups of #1, and then a #2 and #3. We shouldn't put folks with different experience levels on the track at the same time. Can we get a list?
We will get the groups split up accordingly.But I don't think it is a good idea to not have someone with experience on track with those that do not.Reasons being those having a hard time finding the correct line can watch and try to follow those that do,and it would be courteous if the experienced drivers slowed a little in front of someone not hitting his turns to show why.More experienced drivers pay attention more to what is going on around them(flags,I think I'm going to bring colored t shirts for flags,hand signals the pitting hand signal particularly,etc).Everyone will be instructed of hand signals as this is the way of communicating with each other out there.Now it sounds easy but being able to do it all together at speed is something that takes time.We are going to have fun so I do not want to make it to constructive, but it will be safe.We will have sessions were the fast guy's go out together toward 3/4 of the day or something.The first half of the day everyone will be getting to know the layout of the track,then we will get serious with dividing up the groups toward the second half of the day.Nothing is set into stone yet Levent but keep the ideas coming!
Eric
Old 04-08-2006 | 02:19 PM
Audible Mayhem
My350z

hell yeah. again, cant wait!! eric check my post in the drag section.... hehehe

see ya tomorrow if you make it!!
Old 04-08-2006 | 04:01 PM
screener
Banned

Originally Posted by audiblemayhem
hell yeah. again, cant wait!! eric check my post in the drag section.... hehehe

see ya tomorrow if you make it!!
O I'll be there Jeremy at about 8:45am tomorrow.See you out there!
Old 04-10-2006 | 03:54 AM
screener
Banned

Thanks Jeremy and Dan,I marked payed beside your names on th list.
Eric
Old 04-10-2006 | 06:53 AM
MoodDude

Originally Posted by beddow
Will do, do you want me to put you on the standby list?
Yes - put me on the list. And Levent has to much time on his hands .

My car is in perfectly tuned now, since we spent over two hours on the dyno on Saturday night. That made me miss the AutoX on Sunday.
Old 04-10-2006 | 03:27 PM
TrackHoRX8

Originally Posted by MoodDude
And Levent has to much time on his hands .

No, I just like this stuff. And the more I know about the track, the smoother I will be. And, since I'm the only rotary guy, I have to stand out in some way.
Old 04-11-2006 | 11:20 AM
MoodDude

No, I just like this stuff. And the more I know about the track, the smoother I will be. And, since I'm the only rotary guy, I have to stand out in some way.
Just giving you a hard time. How did you do on Sunday?
Old 04-11-2006 | 01:41 PM
TrackHoRX8

There weren't too many people who showed due to the weather. Only about 30 cars total. I got bumped to Super Stock because I was the only B Stock. There was an 03 Vette that I beat out for 1st. It was a fun long course set up by a friend of mine who road races, so it was fast and alot of fun.

Quick Reply: Official Gainesville road course June 3 sign up