Notices
South East North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia, Florida

Moving to Charlotte

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2009, 03:11 AM
banshee

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Moving to Charlotte

Hello all. I haven't been active on here at all lately, but have missed it. I'm moving to Charlotte beginning tomorrow and over the next few weeks and am just looking to hear what people who live there like/dislike about it. I've only been there once (last week) and was pleasently surprised. I had read that it was a cultureless, sterile, concrete town of pretentious yuppies and franchise restaurants. Not trying to make enemies, that's just what I read on Yahoo! Travel. However, I found it to be a clean and very pretty city. I also read up on some of the neighborhoods I visited and found some pretty interesting sounding bars with a lot of live music, which is big for me.

Anyway, I'm headed there tomorrow and will live in a hotel for the first couple of weeks while I work and look for an apartment. Probably going to try for something in the 4th Ward. Just looking for some feedback on how you guys feel about the city because I'm a little nervous.
Old 06-13-2009, 11:46 AM
imonlykidden

Goodluck on your move. I live in Huntersville, north on I-77, north of Charlotte. I'ts an ok place I guess, a lot of things close too early for me. I came from NJ and was used to going into NY city and things NEVER closing. The bars are decent, clubs scene is decent in the city part. I more favor the pubs, and bars such as fox and the hound is my main bar I go to.
Anyway goodluck to you on your move, maybe you can come to some of our meets we have everyonce in a while in charlotte. Goodtimes. You can check my youtube video for some video of our meets in the past. Just search video by name. imonlykidden : The same name as this account. C-ya around.
Old 06-13-2009, 11:59 AM
Hraesvelg
Got Uranium?

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Now you can come to my party on the 4th...

Where you working in Charlotte? Any nuke work?
Old 06-13-2009, 12:43 PM
*DA1GRL*

Welcome to the QC (Queen City)!! Most natives like Charlotte...it's an up and coming city so you'll get to be a part of something fresh and brand new. Its come a long way within the last 5 years....lot of growth, development, etc. I'm not really into the club/bar scene so I can't give you much advice there... however the import scene is off the hook! Have you ever heard of StreetWise Drift? They are an up and coming organization that hosts the drifting events around here. You can check out their webpage: www.streetwisedrift.com. for a schedule. Every car enthusiast is cool and very friendly so if you're into the car scene you should definitely come out to some meetups/events. You'll get to meet my car club, SexySidewayZ!!

Well best of luck to you man with your new job and getting settled in. Oh and a word of advice, stay away from I-485 near the Pineville-Matthews area around rush hour. It's horrrrrrible!
Old 06-13-2009, 12:50 PM
banshee

Thanks everyone... I'm not much into clubs but spend entirely too much time at pubs and micros... Also, music is very important to me. Must have good live music or even good records playing for atmosphere. Definately looking forward to some meets when I bring my Gc in a couple of weeks. I am a little worried about what I've heard is a rash of auto theft lately.

Originally Posted by Hraesvelg
Now you can come to my party on the 4th...

Where you working in Charlotte? Any nuke work?
No I'm in the 3rd Party Logistics field. Ran a warehouse here in ATL and now moving to post production re-packaging in Harrisburg. BTW good job on quiting smoking. I'm almost there myself!

Last edited by banshee; 06-13-2009 at 12:54 PM.
Old 06-13-2009, 12:53 PM
banshee

Originally Posted by *DA1GRL*
Have you ever heard of StreetWise Drift? They are an up and coming organization that hosts the drifting events around here. You can check out their webpage: www.streetwisedrift.com. for a schedule. Every car enthusiast is cool and very friendly so if you're into the car scene you should definitely come out to some meetups/events. You'll get to meet my car club, SexySidewayZ!!
I WISH I knew how to drift... But I'll have fun watching I'm sure.
Old 06-13-2009, 08:24 PM
*DA1GRL*

Originally Posted by banshee
I WISH I knew how to drift... But I'll have fun watching I'm sure.
There's nothing to it...u just gotta have the nuts to do it lol
Old 06-14-2009, 08:42 AM
DanielW
Banned

WELCOME I'm sure you will enjoy living here. Hit me up if you wanna hang out and get a drink sometime (no gay)
Old 06-14-2009, 09:02 AM
Hraesvelg
Got Uranium?

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by DanielW
WELCOME I'm sure you will enjoy living here. Hit me up if you wanna hang out and get a drink sometime (no gay)
What? What?
Old 06-14-2009, 12:43 PM
imonlykidden

So where do you hide yours then?

Awesome!
Old 06-14-2009, 12:44 PM
imonlykidden

Originally Posted by Hraesvelg
What? What?
In the butt?
Old 06-14-2009, 01:06 PM
*DA1GRL*

Originally Posted by imonlykidden
So where do you hide yours then?

Awesome!
LMBO!! I'm an exception to my gender. I don't need nuts my ta ta's give the power I need to drift....Hahahahaha!!!!
Old 06-15-2009, 09:26 AM
imonlykidden

But, TATA's are not ***** they produce milk, not semen!

I noticed LMBO - could that be Laughing My ***** OFF. So you do have them hidden somewhere!

I think you were looking for LMTTO - Laughing My TaTas OFF.
Old 06-15-2009, 10:07 AM
Sisko99

Banshee, I made the same move you're about to about 4 years ago (I was born and raised in Atlanta). You'll find that Charlotte is very similar to Atlanta, though it's about where Atlanta was 10 years ago or so in terms of size and population. As the others said of themselves, I'm not much into the whole bar or club thing...but what I have seen looks pretty active. There are several pubs and the like that I know of such as The Fox and Hound (there are several around Charlotte) and the Galway Hooker (up near Lake Norman in Huntersville). Ri-Ra was right downtown....but I heard it caught on fire not too long ago. Can't verify that though.

Just like Atlanta, there are some rough areas of the city that you might want to be careful in. Uptown Charlotte and Buckhead are pretty similar. There's always live music going on somewhere...so I'm sure you'll be able to find something that's to your liking.

Being that racing is pretty well embedded in the Charlotte area, you'll find a pretty healthy car scene. As Da1Grl mentioned...there her new club....as well as my club, The Carolina Z Club (www.carolinazclub.com - we meet the first monday of every month...and actually several of us are going down to Carolina Motorsports Park in Kershaw, SC this weekend for an HPDE). But even if you're not a car club guy...there's always plenty going on in the way of meets, etc.

I don't think you'll have much trouble finding your way in the city and I think you'll like it. It's not quite as frenetic as Atlanta can be at times and the Traffic isn't nearly as bad (even at it's worst here, it's not as bad as trying to go north on GA400 between 3:30 and 6...or trying to navigate 285...or 75/85...you get the picture. lol.) One thing that will take a bit of getting used to is the median travel speed around here. It's a good 10mph less than anywhere in Atlanta. Just a couple things to keep in mind.

Anyway....good luck with the move up and I hope to see you come out to the Carolina Z meeting next month. I know the G contingent would love to meet you.
Old 06-15-2009, 05:43 PM
banshee

Thanks Sisko... I've definetly noticed the speed difference already... even driving my 94 Civic around. I went to look at an apartment in 4th Ward today and fell completely head over heels in LOVE with the neighborhood. Hopefully I'll find something there... I also saw some of the areas that I was reading about... Being what I call sterile. Nothing but apartment complexes and strip malls along a divided highway. But Uptown is not like that at all so I suppose I'll stick around there when not at work.

I haz nuts... I can haz lessons?
Old 06-15-2009, 05:44 PM
banshee

Also, I stayed a little busy to get involved with car clubs in ATL, but I would be interested in getting involved here in Charlotte... Especially since I only know one person and he's not at all into cars.
Old 06-16-2009, 04:31 AM
Sisko99

Originally Posted by banshee
Also, I stayed a little busy to get involved with car clubs in ATL, but I would be interested in getting involved here in Charlotte... Especially since I only know one person and he's not at all into cars.
Well....you're always welcome to come check out a Carolina Z Meet. We do all kinds of things, so I'm sure you'd be able to find something to do.

Oh...and I noticed you have the Fairtax website linked in your sig. I take it you're a Boortz Listener? I still try to read his program notes every day....and try to tell anyone who will listen about the Fairtax.
Old 06-16-2009, 04:50 PM
banshee

Yeah... just a big fan of talk radio in general, regardless of the topic. I suppose that's why my co-workers always called me an old soul... Boortz is my favorite and I haven't been able to find him around here, I guess he doesn't have a market in Charlotte since you onlyread his notes... Bummer, I used to have off Sun-Wed and listened to him all week.

I'll try to keep up with you guys' next meet and will try to make it... I finally have weekends off!!
Old 06-17-2009, 04:07 AM
Sisko99

Boortz is syndicated up here...though you won't get the extra hour that Atlanta gets (the Information Overload Hour as I recall it being called). You find the station list here: http://boortz.com/contact/syndication.html

Not sure when he's on the air though.

'Course there's always the WSB stream via his website or wsb.com.
Old 06-21-2009, 08:54 PM
shvd64cdy

just saw this thread. i just got back from charlotte today after going out there for a final interview last week and house hunting etc. looks like i'm heading out there on tuesday..... driving the z, shipping everything else. 2 day drive, so.....looks like thursday or friday a.m. at the latest. any info on meets/shops is appreciated. thanks.
-sam

Quick Reply: Moving to Charlotte