Notices
South East North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia, Florida

wife's car broke down

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2009, 05:24 AM
My Revenge

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default wife's car broke down

hey guys, my wife's 92' accord just bit the dust I'm thinking. but I told her I would do whatever I can to see if it is fixable.

she says she was driving and her rpm's started dropping and the car died.

this tells me that her car had no oil or an oil related problem (it had leaks, she used to just keep it full) but in the case that I am missing something easy or even difficult I would like to ask if anyone would help me take a look at the thing.

i put oil in it, a little gas too. it cranks but does not start. no clanking sounds. anyways, give me a call at 252-626-3244 if you are bored and want to come take a look/poke jokes/help fix (I live in Conyers GA)
Old 06-27-2009, 05:28 AM
JasonZ-YA
350Z-holic

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

Rpms dropping and car died? if she heard no clunks......sounds electrical?

you added gas? u sure she didnt run out of gas?

-J
Old 06-27-2009, 05:33 AM
My Revenge

yeah i put 2 gal. in it and i put plenty of oil in (about 4 qt)

if it is electrical that would be nice, but i'm not sure why the car died in the first place. my first thought was oil. would love for someone to come out and take a look with me, because who knows if what she is telling me is the whole story, she was pissy and yelling at everything so i'm sure i'm missing something.

on the plus side now she shut up about trying to sell the Z
Old 06-27-2009, 05:48 AM
JasonZ-YA
350Z-holic

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by My Revenge

if it is electrical that would be nice, but i'm not sure why the car died in the first place. my first thought was oil. would love for someone to come out and take a look with me, because who knows if what she is telling me is the whole story, she was pissy and yelling at everything so i'm sure i'm missing something.

ya, that is a plus...daily driven, the Z is a very reliable car....just not all to practical on space......keep it no matter what man........

Wish i was closer to you i would love to help out......i love working on cars/problem solving, etc...

-J
Old 06-27-2009, 05:51 AM
Japtrix
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check the distributor.... they are known to go bad. which would cause it to die like you said.
Old 06-27-2009, 06:01 AM
Russ@Z1

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

the ignitor may have died in the distributor
Old 06-27-2009, 06:32 AM
My Revenge

so 2 votes for distributor. alright i'll head back out and take a look. thanks guys. still if anyone wants to come poke fun/help the offer stands! lol
Old 06-27-2009, 06:48 AM
H.C.I.C.

so 2 votes for distributor. alright i'll head back out and take a look. thanks guys. still if anyone wants to come poke fun/help the offer stands! lol

It could also be your timing belt. The belts are worn and break off. When was the last time you changed it?

This happened on my 91 Accord. I was driving on the freeway and all of a sudden the car just died while I was driving on the highway. This happened at 85,000 miles on the car. It'll crank but won't start.
Old 06-27-2009, 07:34 AM
My Revenge

I'm not sure when the belts were checked. I can never trust what she says was done to the car because she doesn't know anything about cars and loves to sugar coat things.

I'll be sure to check that as well
Old 06-27-2009, 08:28 AM
CRIDDA

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If I wasn't so busy this weekend, I would have come by and lent a hand. Check distribitor and timing belt as stated. Do you hear the fuel pump turn on, maybe no fuel is being pumped to the engine.
Old 06-27-2009, 08:52 AM
0jiggy0

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Take a spark plug wire put a small screwdriver in it. lay that on something metal like the strut tower bolt. Have her crank and see if you get any spark, no? The distributor could be your culprit.

If you do have spark, theres a 17 MM bolt on top of the fuel filter. Take that off there should be pressure, can have her crank it to be sure. Just be careful you dont ignite it. I you dont have gas pressure then its a possible fuel pump.

If you have fuel also then listen for the crank. Does it sound really fast? You should know what I mean. If it does that means you dont have compression and youve at least popped the timing belt, or worse need an engine. I'm not sure if that engine is interference, I think it is.

Report back when you've tryed those things.
Old 06-27-2009, 09:05 AM
My Revenge

don't worry about being too busy it may sit there for a while lol. i think the next time i have a hour or so I'm going to push it home for her... /sigh
Old 06-28-2009, 01:10 PM
Pinoy31AP

umm would putting 4 qts in it tell you that its probably not an electrical problem.... when thats all the oil its probably supposed to take anyways....