Notices
Southern California San Diego, Los Angeles, Orange County, Inland Empire, etc.

7/16/05: Buttonwillow Performance Clinic

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2005, 05:23 PM
JimRHIT

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Put me down as tentative. I have had this car two years now, and I would love to go out and be taught the ins-and-outs on driving it harder in a controlled environment.
Old 05-17-2005, 02:01 PM
laswyguy

A couple of noob questions since I've never tracked my car. How much wear and tear should i expect on my wheels, tires, brakes, etc. Second, am I shortening the life span of my engine? I need this motor to last me 100K plus miles since I do Alot of driving. Thanks.
Old 05-18-2005, 08:45 AM
Scott Webb

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts

J Ritt - Since I seem to end up out on track nearly every session, I really don't have a good memory of how much track time you'll get as a student. In the morning, the track is divided in two, and first-timers typically run the East Loop while returning folks and experienced track drivers run two or three sessions on the West Loop (with some track tours as well).

For the afternoon sessions, the track is used in its entirety, although configuration and direction vary event to event. Three groups rotate sessions until late in the afternoon when drivers get tired and groups often get combined - sometimes into one group for the final session. You might contact Les at Buttonwillow for a more definitive answer.

laswygy - Wear and tear are proportional to how hard and how well you drive your car. The Z is a great track car, and since you're not asking it to do something for which it wasn't designed, it holds up well under track conditions. However, you will be pushing your car harder than normal, and accerated wear of many components should be expected. Wear is reduced if you are a smooth driver who knows how to properly upshift, downshift and brake. It also helps to allow the car a warm-up and cool-down for each session. Don't just rush out there on the first lap and start banging shifts and sliding the car, and ease off once the checkered flag is displayed to allow brakes, wheel bearings and like to cool before you park the car.

You might ask your questions in the Auto-X/Road Racing forum where quite a few of the Z track guys hang out. I had my Evo out at the last event, and other than the edges being knocked off the tread blocks and a bit more pad wear, you'd never know it had been on the track.
Old 05-18-2005, 12:38 PM
SHO-TIME

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The clinic does not send out confirmations after you enroll, therefore, I'd like to double check on the people who have enrolled already. Could you guys, who have enrolled, let me know please? Thank you.
Old 05-27-2005, 09:47 AM
FLZ_Boy

I submited my forms to register and used the group name listed. Hopefully, it isn't filled to the brim now.

So yes, I registered and hope all the adminstrative stuff comes out correctly.

Last edited by FLZ_Boy; 05-27-2005 at 10:11 AM.
Old 05-27-2005, 12:46 PM
zman23

I've registered as well, just waiting on cc info to see if they have billed me yet, b/c I would sure like to know if I have a spot or not.
Old 06-04-2005, 09:15 AM
Rx Punk

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Justed wanted to say whats up.

I'm new to this forum, just wanted to say hey, i love running at tracks, but this one event is more expensive then willowsprings, maybe i'll run it next time, i really wanna see their track. I saw an event in Vegas called the silverstate classic where u run the highway at max speed, that sounded awesome too, but its like 600 bucks, i guess i'm just going have to do it from the cops, lol. But good luck and have fun
Attached Thumbnails 7/16/05: Buttonwillow Performance Clinic-zhouse.jpg  
Old 06-04-2005, 06:23 PM
Sosa

They basically split the track into two halves to start the day, and usually there is only 1 advanced group. Therefore, the advanced people are running 20 mins on, 5 off on either the west or east loop the entire morning. Then it goes Advanced, beginner 1, beginner 2 on the entire track. They never run the bus stop though, and are running Magic Mountain less and less because of the rollovers occuring there at many track events.

For beginners-- I think this is the best thing to do for any first timers at any track. I believe that I know about 4 or 5 other guys going to this, so I'll be sure to have them type in the code so you guys get the discount.
Old 06-12-2005, 08:41 AM
FLZ_Boy

Got my SS lines in, brake fluid changed, and new Hawk HPS for this event. Only problem is, my CC has been charged yet (I registered back late May).
Old 06-13-2005, 10:10 PM
SHO-TIME

Everyone:
Please note whether you have enrolled or not. Please make sure to write down the group name "3FIVEZEROZ" right next to you name on the enroolment form (for the lack of place to put it) so that they can identify us as a group. Thank you.

1. Sho-time (03 SS Z) - Enrolled 5/4/05
2. Rick (M3) - Enrolled 5/4/05
3. L337350 (05 Z)
4. DIZMINE (03 SS Z)
5. Zman23 (03 RL Z) - Enrolled
6. FLZ Boy (05 UY Z) - Enrolled
7. The Liu Man -tentative

At this point, I am not sure if we have 5 ppl or not. Pls PM me your full name so I can inquire the clinic whether they put you down under the group.
Old 06-24-2005, 12:59 PM
laswyguy

Ok I signed up today and put down the group name. WohoOoooo.. im excited.. first track day ever.
Old 06-25-2005, 05:19 PM
Egbert Souse

If you are a track newbie living in SoCal, the Buttonwillow Performance Driving Clinic is the best way to get started running road courses. I have run it 4 times and pretty much graduated, as no one passed me the entire day last time, and I was passing everyone except the one guy I couldn't catch, and he was a pretty skilled driver in a Z06.

For $195, you get an all day event on a great track, that is very well organized with an emphasis on safety, excellent driving instruction, lots of track time, lunch and a t-shirt. Great deal. Go for it.
Old 07-03-2005, 12:32 AM
The Liu Man

Sorry guys, can't make this one. Have fun (try hard, real hard) without me!
Old 07-05-2005, 10:31 AM
zman23

Just wondering if anybody is heading up to Buttonwillow the day before, Friday, July 15? I have that day off and was going to be going up that day so I don't have to wake up at 3am to get there on time. Let me know.
Old 07-05-2005, 06:49 PM
FLZ_Boy

I'll be waking up early that day and just drive up, hope I don't fall asleep on the track.
Old 07-06-2005, 10:07 AM
Scott Webb

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by FLZ_Boy
I'll be waking up early that day and just drive up, hope I don't fall asleep on the track.
Not a chance! That won't happen until your trip home that evening (i.e. be careful).
Old 07-07-2005, 11:45 PM
SHO-TIME

yeah.... me and my friend (M3) will drive the morning of.... don't know what time exactly we are leaving yet.
Old 07-07-2005, 11:47 PM
SHO-TIME

BTW, don't forget to leave anything you don need for the event.
You'll have to leave them out of your car when you're tracking your ride....
also, bring lawn chair, drinks for the waiting time
and maybe a plastic bag to put your crap you brought that you can't keep in the car for the track.
Old 07-14-2005, 09:44 PM
zman23

Default Cruising Sequoia Nat. Park

Well will be seeing you all on Saturday morning bright and early! I'm heading up tomorrow to check out the big tember, lots of twisties up that way. Then head back to Buttonwillow for the night. Then track all day Saturday! Later,
Jon
Old 07-16-2005, 07:21 PM
SHO-TIME

MY GOD! That was a BLAST!!! It was really hot at close to 119 degrees? or at least that what my o/s temp gauge read in my Z. Thanks to those that came. And much thanks to Scott Webb for showing me what I am doing wrong and teaching me the right lines.... I learned a lot today and I believe I accomplished my goad that I had for this event. And man... the ride in your Lan-Evo was just simply amazing!

Cant wait for the next one.

I'm so beat tho... tired. Time to take a power nap.

Quick Reply: 7/16/05: Buttonwillow Performance Clinic