Notices
Southern California San Diego, Los Angeles, Orange County, Inland Empire, etc.

New Traffic Laws Got Into Effect Jan.1 LOS ANGELES

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2005, 10:47 AM
FairladyZX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Traffic Laws Got Into Effect Jan.1 LOS ANGELES

- New penalties for drunk drivers, street racers, and "pocket bike" riders -- along with more restrictions on teen drivers -- go into effect Jan. 1, the Auto Club reported today.

"Many of these laws are designed to improve safety for motorists by increasing penalties for unsafe driving behavior," said Alice Bisno of the Automobile Club of Southern California.
The new laws include:

Street Racing. AB 1325 establishes a jail term of 30 days to six months for people found guilty of engaging in motor-vehicle speed contests if the driver causes bodily injury to someone other than himself or herself.

Drunk Driving. SB 597 extends from seven years to 10 years the time period a person is ineligible for a "good-driver discount" following a conviction for drunk driving. The change complements a change last year that required DUI convictions to remain on a person's record for 10 years instead of seven.
Two other new laws strengthen law enforcement's ability to impound drunk drivers' vehicles:

SB 207 authorizes an officer to impound the vehicle of a person with a prior DUI conviction arrested for a suspected DUI if the person has a blood- alcohol level of at least 0.10 percent or if the person refuses a chemical test.

AB 979 authorizes an officer to impound the vehicle of a motorist violating a requirement to drive only a vehicle equipped with a functioning, certified ignition interlock device.
Other laws going into force in 2006:

Pocket Bikes. AB 1051 provides a definition of a pocket bike and requires the manufacturer to let prospective buyers know, in writing, where one may not be operated. The miniature motorcycles are illegal to ride on public streets. Also, the new law specifies that pocket bikes seized by law enforcement will be held for a minimum of 48 hours and will be released only after appropriate fees have been paid.

Car Insurance. SB 20 extends the state's low-cost automobile insurance program for qualified drivers to the year 2011 and adds six more counties where it will be available. Previously, low-cost auto insurance was available only in Los Angeles and San Francisco counties. Now, it can also be obtained in Alameda, Fresno, Orange, Riverside, San Bernardino, and San Diego counties.
The law also gives the insurance commissioner the discretion to add more counties in the future.

Graduated Driver Licensing Law Strengthened. AB 1474 strengthens the existing teen licensing law by requiring teen motorists to have their licenses for one year before being allowed to drive between 11 p.m. and 5 a.m., or before being allowed to transport passengers under age 20 without an adult in the car.
Even teens who have gotten their licenses before Jan. 1 will have to follow the new law if their licenses are less than one year old.
Old 12-29-2005, 11:26 AM
Ed 718
BRAVEHEART

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by FairladyZX
Street Racing. AB 1325 establishes a jail term of 30 days to six months for people found guilty of engaging in motor-vehicle speed contests if the driver causes bodily injury to someone other than himself or herself.
I agree with this one as we have to many idiots killing themselves or other in this senseless act
Old 12-29-2005, 12:36 PM
mrtomcat

Originally Posted by Ed 718
I agree with this one as we have to many idiots killing themselves or other in this senseless act
I agree with that as well. In general I believe that the penalties should be enforced when the person actually causes damage...
Same with DUI's I am against drunk driving but unless you cause an accident where's the harm? In Italy for example they couldn't care less if you had a drink but if you hurt anyone or damage anything your *** gets hit hard by the law....I like that.

There are quite a few people that can drive very well with a few drinks where there are quite a few more than can not drive sober if their life depends on it but they never get in trouble because they follow the so called law...doesn't matter that they bring eveyone else in danger or cause accidents....
we all know who I'm talking about....Americas number 1 threat:
Women in SUV's talking on their Cel phones while screaming at their children in the backseat while smoking a cigarette...when will the law finally go after them???? And since hubby has to pay the insurance it goes on his record when she causes the accident showing a wrong quota that women are better drivers....

sorry I'm ranting a bit
Old 12-29-2005, 08:24 PM
AmyCroft

Smile Humm - Right you are..

Originally Posted by mrtomcat
I agree with that as well. In general I believe that the penalties should be enforced when the person actually causes damage...
Same with DUI's I am against drunk driving but unless you cause an accident where's the harm? In Italy for example they couldn't care less if you had a drink but if you hurt anyone or damage anything your *** gets hit hard by the law....I like that.

There are quite a few people that can drive very well with a few drinks where there are quite a few more than can not drive sober if their life depends on it but they never get in trouble because they follow the so called law...doesn't matter that they bring eveyone else in danger or cause accidents....
Women in SUV's talking on their Cel phones while screaming at their children in the backseat while smoking a cigarette...when will the law finally go after them???? And since hubby has to pay the insurance it goes on his record when she causes the accident showing a wrong quota that women are better drivers....

sorry I'm ranting a bit
No problem with the rant.. Separate insurance for wives..

Cheers Amy -
Old 12-30-2005, 12:44 AM
alex12

+1
Old 12-30-2005, 07:52 AM
HyperSprite
Mad Scientist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sorry I'm ranting a bit
If 80% of people can't drive while sober lubricating the brain isn't gonna help.

Chris
Old 12-30-2005, 02:54 PM
mrtomcat

lol
actually I know 2 guys that drive much safer after having had a drink...they pay more attention

Bottomline is that you should pay the price if you cause the damage not pay the price before you cause the damage....kinda like innocent until proven guilty which used to be something that was used in courts...
Old 12-31-2005, 09:22 AM
SCP

Hopefully it will keep everyone a little safer. My buddy go thit by a drunk driver. Fortunately no one was hurt. His car was totaled though.
Ferdie
Old 12-31-2005, 12:54 PM
Cannysage

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great.. giving more power to the crooked cops of LA with Attitudes.
Here's my input
- don't drive drunk! if you're dumb enough (as we all have been), drive in the frigging slow lane @55, at the very least. I've almost been hit by swirving drunking speeders plenty of times.
- if you're gonna do spirited driving, take it to the tracks or make sure there are no cars on the road. Swirving in and out of traffic is plane f'd up.
- No front plate law is the lamest law on earth.
- if you're a parent, make sure to think loong and hard before giving your 16 yo a 300 hp car
- Let us not give more power to the cops and be sensible ourselves.
Old 01-01-2006, 03:27 AM
FairladyZX

+1 on - No front plate law is the lamest law on earth.

I haven't put my plates on for exactly 1yr & 2 months now since I purchased my Z since last November. F**k the law.