Notices
Southern California San Diego, Los Angeles, Orange County, Inland Empire, etc.

Enough is Enough!!! Life With a Modified Car in Cali.

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2006, 02:56 PM
35oZephyR

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mr_Q
Yes living in the P.R.O.C. has many costs. Earthquakes, fires, floods, anti-tuner police. But I love the 330 days a year of sunshine, ocean, nice temps, low humidity, no mosquitos, mountains, valleys, it's got lots of green!

You forgot the "healthy" girls.

But yeah...MEECHIN, I appreciate the fact that someone is voicing their distress because alot of us share the same feelings.

If only we all could annoy the hell out of local police departments, governors, mayors, senators with mass emails, letters and phone calls concerning what you've expressed.

Import car tuning is no longer a predominantly young and delinquent past time. It is a HUGE market. Organizations like SEMA are trying to stand up against trivial legislation that crack down on the installation of aftermarket parts.

It's gotten to the point where I actually welcome the oncoming droves of bandwagon kids for the next Fast n Furious film. At least local law enforcement will have to set their priorities straight.
The more fishies in the sea, the less likely you'll get caught.
Old 03-28-2006, 03:13 PM
Saint_Spinner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Relax folks...Theyre just doing a little rice-patrol. Gotta keep the population in check J/K.
Old 03-28-2006, 03:20 PM
KwanZito

Originally Posted by MEECHIN
Some cops are openly admitting to being told from the higher ups to target modified cars.
Now, is it just me, or does that kinda sound... unconstitutional?
I think that's borderline discrimination, or profiling even.

Granted, messing around with emissions is illegal and detrimental to the environment.
Well, you said it yourself, some of what we do to our cars is illegal. I don't think it's quite that discriminatory. Maybe one month the department says "OK GUYS, THIS MONTH WE'RE TARGETING CRACK DEALERS" and next month it's "OK LETS TRY TO FIX THIS SPEEDING/ACCIDENT PROBLEM ON Rt. 1"

It's just a means to get their job done, by focusing on something their officers may normally gloss over. This way it makes an example and maybe lessens the problem a bit; maybe it addresses a complaint they've been getting, etc...

I'm not defending it, I'm sure I'll be pissed when i get a ticket for my test pipes. I just see it a little differently. You've gotta be prepared to deal with the consequences of your actions, or just don't do it.

It's like people who get caught street racing and then are pissed when the judge comes down on them and takes their license or issues a fine. How can you be pissed at anyone other than yourself?

Edit: and just to comment a little more on your post; I agree that if you do your mods in a legal fassion, and you drive within the legal limits, then there's no reason you should get a ticket for anything. But like your example about the two cars, one modified and one not, and the modified car gets pulled over. Well if they were both speeding, then well...they were speeding. They're both in the wrong. Just because only one got caught shouldn't make the difference.

Lets take some of the rice out their for example. Some of these guys do stupid unsafe mods to their car because they either don't know how, or don't want to spend the cash to do it correctly. Now maybe that modified car presents a greater danger at speed than a stock vehicle. So maybe stopping him is the prudent move. Rice aside, take a car like mine with no cats...i'm certainly poluting more than a stock car going the same speed. So maybe these are the kind of things they concern themselves with.

Last edited by KwanZito; 03-28-2006 at 03:30 PM.
Old 03-28-2006, 03:27 PM
Inno

Not true that most of what we do is illegal. I would venture to say that most of our cars are LEGAL. Say you dropped your cars, threw on wheels a catback, intake, stereo, body kit etc. You would definitely be targeted, but not doing anything illegal.

The real problem is the lawmakers. Unfortunately I don't think there is anything we can do about it. The days of small group of people being able to actually stand up for what they believe in are kind of over here in the USA. Oh well it could be worse. I plan to ditch this state. It's ridiculous.
Old 03-28-2006, 03:32 PM
KwanZito

Inno <----

Just to clear up I said SOME, not most of what we do. if it was my post you were replying to. I agree most of it is probably legal.
Old 03-28-2006, 04:45 PM
Anomaly

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by 97supratt
The reason why they dont have sound laws for motorcycles is because there aren't as many motorcycles as there are motor vehicles. But yes I agree, the police officers do go after modified vehicles. I think its because of ricers and stupid movies like fast and furious.

Actually, that's not entirely true.

Motorcycles do have to follow regulations set forth by the California Vehicle Code - specifically, Section 23130.

Honestly, I suggest that some of you concerned about exhaust noise citations read up on the California Vehicle Code to determine what your rights are. Here is the section regarding exhaust noise. AND Noise limits
Old 03-28-2006, 05:06 PM
NA350Z

Those cops are bored, I hate 'em all.
Old 03-28-2006, 06:23 PM
FLZ_Boy

If you had an onboard camera taping 24/7 recording all your actions, would it be admissable in court for clearing any violations a peace officer claimed you violated. For instance, cop tickets you for 82mph, but your video recording shows you were doing no more than 65 mph for the whole day (and records the conversation of the peace officer)?
Old 03-28-2006, 06:27 PM
GTNPU Z
VERTEX Army CEO

Originally Posted by FLZ_Boy
If you had an onboard camera taping 24/7 recording all your actions, would it be admissable in court for clearing any violations a peace officer claimed you violated. For instance, cop tickets you for 82mph, but your video recording shows you were doing no more than 65 mph for the whole day (and records the conversation of the peace officer)?
I don't see why not. If you do catch them in the act of an unlawful ticket, I'd say that's major pwnage at court. Cops use them as well, why can't we? You can make it even a bigger point if you collect enough instances & sell it to the media for a story. Now that would be interesting.

Last edited by GTNPU Z; 03-28-2006 at 06:30 PM.
Old 03-28-2006, 09:21 PM
Volk350Z
Master

any Z owner here's a lawyer??
Old 03-29-2006, 10:33 AM
ActionJackson

hmm maybe I should move to the OC then where they're used to exotics and fixed up cars being the norm ^^
Old 03-30-2006, 09:03 AM
MEECHIN

u think the OC is safe?

try driving around in Irvine or HB.
Old 03-30-2006, 10:43 AM
Ed 718
BRAVEHEART

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by NA350Z
Those cops are bored, I hate 'em all.
maybe you should move to a communists country where they have no policing. Attitude like that is what gets you harrased by the authorities.
Old 03-30-2006, 01:24 PM
g35pm

A 350Z/G35 in OC is not a exotic. I find the the cops in OC to be the biggest snoopers of modified vehicles, following a close second SD.
Old 03-30-2006, 01:35 PM
barthelb
Master

Theres a budget for Racer Detail. Cops are given overtime to target these people driving cars that meet the following (lowered, stickered, loud or large exhaust, guages and a young driver). Most of these take place at night. And for some STUPID reason people continue to do the same thing. Meet up at starbucks and In N out on the weekend. Avoid these places at all costs. That simple. Of course there will be times when you may get pulled over, most cops dont care unless they are on that specific detail or your just being a jerk out there and asking for it. Also, can't beat em join em!
Old 03-30-2006, 01:40 PM
g35pm

Originally Posted by barthelb
Theres a budget for Racer Detail. Cops are given overtime to target these people driving cars that meet the following (lowered, stickered, loud or large exhaust, guages and a young driver). Most of these take place at night. And for some STUPID reason people continue to do the same thing. Meet up at starbucks and In N out on the weekend. Avoid these places at all costs. That simple. Of course there will be times when you may get pulled over, most cops dont care unless they are on that specific detail or your just being a jerk out there and asking for it. Also, can't beat em join em!
Wonderful...maybe if I cover my car in mud, the cops won't see me...like in Predator.
Old 03-30-2006, 05:34 PM
Skunk2Racer

Default Nwa!

**** Tha POLICE! Got It Bad Because I'm A Minority! ****en CraCKers!
Old 03-30-2006, 05:37 PM
Skunk2Racer

Just drive a STOCK Ford Then!

Quick Reply: Enough is Enough!!! Life With a Modified Car in Cali.