Notices
Southern California San Diego, Los Angeles, Orange County, Inland Empire, etc.

My NISMO was backed into while I was parked.

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2008, 03:57 PM
Akula

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My NISMO was backed into while I was parked.

So, like the title says... my brand new 08 NISMO was backed into while I was parked in Del Mar the other day. It's actually a funny story...

I was away from my car for maybe 10 minutes, and when I get back there is a scratch on the front bumper. I'm super ****, so I always check my car before going in/out. Anyway, I look at the bumper of the car in front of me, and sure enough there are some corresponding scratches.

So, I call my insurance company and ask them what I should do... they say call the cops and get a report. Well, I call the cops and then while I'm waiting for them to show up, the guy who hit me comes back to his car. I ask him for his insurance information, helpfully pointing out the matching scratches on both our cars, at which point he simply goes crazy. He starts yelling at me, telling me he isn't going to give me his info and he's not going to put up with this kind of treatment, etc.

After standing around and puffing his chest out for a while, the guy finally runs out of breath and tells me to go F myself, and takes off. The cop then arrives about 10 minutes later to take a report, pictures and all. And since I was smart enough to tell the police dispatcher the license plate of the car, the cops have the guy's address.

Also, the cop was saying that since the guy didn't stick around that he would be able to tow him and impound his car for a couple days while "searching it for evidence".

My question is, how much trouble is this guy in? A lot? None at all? I'm pissed about my car, but it's probably not going to cost that much to fix, since it's just scratches, but I want justice!
Old 03-31-2008, 04:00 PM
SmoothZ
Senior Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,906 Likes on 1,354 Posts

That dude is ****ed.

Sorry to hear about the scratch, but it's great to hear how you were there to confront him. Isn't it dangerous to do that in Cali?
Old 03-31-2008, 04:03 PM
Akula

Originally Posted by SmoothZ
That dude is ****ed.

Sorry to hear about the scratch, but it's great to hear how you were there to confront him. Isn't it dangerous to do that in Cali?
It's not that dangerous in Del Mar. That is one of the whitest/richest neighborhoods in SoCal. The guy probably thought I was in a gang, what with my goatee and all.
Old 03-31-2008, 04:05 PM
SmoothZ
Senior Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,906 Likes on 1,354 Posts

Originally Posted by Akula
It's not that dangerous in Del Mar. That is one of the whitest/richest neighborhoods in SoCal. The guy probably thought I was in a gang, what with my goatee and all.
Haha, I was kidding. I used to live in La Mesa and would dream about Del Mar.

Glad to know that the cops were cool about it.

I had an accident in La Mesa and filed my own report with the DMV. You can do that if there's no injuries and the damage is less than $500. Unfortunately for the uninsured college chick, she didn't file a report so they revoked her license.
Old 03-31-2008, 04:06 PM
TheOtherRob

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like that guy will be charged with a possible hit and run if the accident proves to be true on your part.
Old 03-31-2008, 04:14 PM
henry j

that fools in it good trust me, its now going under a "hit and run" and that fool could possibly go to jail, or a fat fine going his way. ouchh gl with that
Old 03-31-2008, 04:34 PM
kihun

He's not ****ed. You guys might have to go to the court and fight if you cannot proof that he is the one. as long as police made good report saying that he is at fault, you win and he's ****EDDDDDDDDD
Old 03-31-2008, 04:53 PM
Zrolimit

Wow! That really sucks man. You'll figure out that if your in a parking lot it's better to park in the back where no one is at. Although this never works for me and I come back to the car and I'm blocked in on all sides....so nevermind.
Old 03-31-2008, 05:16 PM
hkman78

Did it happen in a private parking lot? If it was, you are very lucky that the cops came out to write a report consider that it was a very minor acc. You did the right thing by got down the other guy's license plate number, that's the most important thing.

I dont think the othe guy is in that big of a trouble or go to jail because of this. I have seen this happen before. The cops will probably just call the guy or go to his house and ask him for info. I am sure the guy will give his insurance info and insurance companies will do the investigation. Good luck
Old 03-31-2008, 09:39 PM
damnhao

felony hit and run
Old 04-01-2008, 07:29 AM
DVFlyer
Speed of White

He'll buff out the scratches and deny hitting your car.
Old 04-01-2008, 08:06 AM
Akula

To answer some questions....

1. It was on a public street, not in a private lot.
2. I got pictures of his scratched bumper, so I don't think he can deny it.

I'll let you guys know what happens!
Old 04-01-2008, 08:11 AM
97supratt

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Tell him to fix your damages or else you'll have elephants stomp on his feet. Trust me it'll hurt, don't ask me how I know.
Old 04-01-2008, 08:45 AM
yahookendogg

hey i got a similar story,

i was waiting at a redlight in downtown LA on wilshire blvd. and this suv pulls up too close and rear ended me at like 3mph, i signaled him to pull over but apparently he didnt even know that he hit me and just ran off. i memorized his plates and called the cops. when the cops arrive, they look at the damage on my car, which is like a foot long scratch across the rear bumper and they there like "you really want to report this???" and think im joking. and he was like, "if you report this, there's gona be a police record on your car." so i just told them to leave. also they were like, "these kind of things happen all the time, so unless it's something serious, don't bother calling us for these kinda things." i was really pissed and surprised how they responded. i told them, "isn't hit and run a big crime here?" and there like, "dude, whatever". they didn't seem to take it seriously at all. i think the cops here in LA have a serious problem.

Last edited by yahookendogg; 04-01-2008 at 08:49 AM.
Old 04-01-2008, 09:09 AM
xlilsp1keyx

in for pics.
Old 04-01-2008, 10:15 AM
Akula

Originally Posted by yahookendogg
hey i got a similar story,

That's messed up man, the cop I got was really cool about the whole situation. Honestly it's one of the first times I've ever experienced a cop being nice to me.
Old 04-01-2008, 11:08 AM
Skidfive805

Default .

Originally Posted by damnhao
felony hit and run

I believe only if it is over $400 dollars of damage or more Or if there were injuries would it be felony.
Old 04-01-2008, 11:38 AM
kPaNdA350

Justice is justice but it would suck if that other car just happened to have the scratch in the same area, and the car that actually hit you took off.

Sucks what happened to ya, hope it goes well.
Old 04-01-2008, 02:04 PM
DVFlyer
Speed of White

Originally Posted by Akula
2. I got pictures of his scratched bumper, so I don't think he can deny it.
....... as long as you got his license plate number in the same picture that shows the scratch.
Old 04-03-2008, 02:04 PM
Akula

So, here's an update...

I drove up to Encinitas today to meet with the cop and, get this, the guy's lawyers.

Yes, he hired not just one, but TWO lawyers to deal with a scratched bumper.

Anyway, I get there and the cop starts measuring the scratches and everything... well, turns out all the marks match exactly. So basically this guy hired a couple douchebag lawyers at however much they are charging per hour, only to have them sit there and watch the cop tell them that it was clearly their client who hit me, and he is 100% at fault.

Now I'm gonig through my insurance and they are going after his insurance. I'm kind of disapointed that the guy cooperated (as little as he did); I was looking forward to picking him out of a lineup for a hit and run.

Quick Reply: My NISMO was backed into while I was parked.