Notices
Southern California San Diego, Los Angeles, Orange County, Inland Empire, etc.

Help.. I Have Radiator Fluid Everywhere...

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2008, 12:07 AM
jubes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Help.. I Have Radiator Fluid Everywhere...

Ok guys, I seriously need your opinions on my situation... I've already posted this on the engine mod area, I'm hoping someone in here might have an answer...

For the past week, I've been hearing my cooling fan running continuously even when I'm running.. doesn't sound right to me, so I was planning on calling the dealer Monday since it's Friday afternoon and they are probably closed.

I drive down the freeway and I'm getting back from the movies and getting out of my car when I notice liquid all over the place... and it's comming from my car... I notice the smell of radiator fluid... and behold it is.

So I open my hood, and I notice the FREAKING COOLANT IS FILLED TO THE TOP OF THE CANISTER. WTF?!?!!?!?

Is this the reason why my fan has been running all the time? and the reason why my car is taking a leak on my driveway? Anybody have an answer? All suggestions or answers will be appreciated. Please help...thank you for hearing me vent.
Old 04-26-2008, 02:33 AM
Sensi09
Sponsor
Works Concepts

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well you obviously overheated, and this could be due to a number of reasons.

-bad thermostat
-water pump
-may need to bleed it
-there is some type of blockage
-or it could be the fan itself
Old 04-26-2008, 02:34 AM
Sensi09
Sponsor
Works Concepts

Oh and if you care about the appearance of you engine bay, I'd clean off the coolant asap as it's going to stain.
Old 04-26-2008, 06:00 AM
Rickdogg
Out of hiatus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Pubes,

you should get this checked out asap
Old 04-26-2008, 06:29 AM
jubes

Thanks guys... I'm actually taking it to the dealership right now.. I was able to get an appointment @ 8am... so I'll keep you posted.
Old 04-26-2008, 03:58 PM
jubes

Just to keep you guys posted...

My freaking radiator blew...

They didn't give me any details on why it did, but that they have to keep it til monday so they can order the part... this sucks... I'm taking that the continuous fan running was a hint to the radiator... but I just had the 30,000 major service done, and they flushed the radiator when they did that. So if my radiator was going bad.. shouldn't they have caught that?

ehh.. we'll never know..
Old 04-26-2008, 04:27 PM
Rickdogg
Out of hiatus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jubes

They didn't give me any details on why it did, but that they have to keep it til monday so they can order the part... this sucks... I'm taking that the continuous fan running was a hint to the radiator... but I just had the 30,000 major service done, and they flushed the radiator when they did that. So if my radiator was going bad.. shouldn't they have caught that?

ehh.. we'll never know..
Good luck with everything. I'm sure it will all work out.

It is possible they overlooked the problem during the 30K service, but the problem more than likely started after the fact.
Old 04-26-2008, 05:30 PM
Sensi09
Sponsor
Works Concepts

Originally Posted by jubes

ehh.. we'll never know..
Are they replacing the radiator? Might as well upgrade to a koyo radiator while you're at it. It should cost around $400.

http://www.stillen.com/product.asp?i...SAN&model=350Z

If they flushed it at the last service, they may not have bled it correctly, which could cause your problems. As for the fan constantly running, that could be due to a bad fan or a bad thermostat.
Old 04-26-2008, 10:31 PM
jubes

Originally Posted by Rickdogg
Good luck with everything. I'm sure it will all work out.
It is possible they overlooked the problem during the 30K service, but the problem more than likely started after the fact.
Thanks for the support. They probably did overlook it, which sucks. I feel naked without my Z...

Originally Posted by Sensi09
Are they replacing the radiator? Might as well upgrade to a koyo radiator while you're at it. It should cost around $400.

http://www.stillen.com/product.asp?i...SAN&model=350Z

If they flushed it at the last service, they may not have bled it correctly, which could cause your problems. As for the fan constantly running, that could be due to a bad fan or a bad thermostat.
Yeah, they have to replace it. His words were "Bro, your radiator is fried.." so yeah, it didn't sound good. That radiator is sure a beauty... I have to start thinking about upgrading the internals before I do anything external...
headers? exhaust? FI? hehehe.. I sure do love the blow off valves.. LOL
Old 04-28-2008, 08:48 AM
4DC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The fan is running because the the temp sensor s reading hot because the cooling system was probably not bled correctly as was mentioned before. Not uncommon for the Z because of the process of bleeding the system (not easy). The other possible major problem is how long were you driving while overheating, could there be head gasket damage. I would say that I am almost certaint hat there isn't anything wrong with the fan, just air pockets in the cooling system. If your radiator blew the overflow tank would be empty not full.