Notices
Southern California San Diego, Los Angeles, Orange County, Inland Empire, etc.

running this by you all one more time (dmv, smog, reg)

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2008, 08:18 PM
troyboy162

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default running this by you all one more time (dmv, smog, reg)

im getting very serious about buying a modified 350 to bring back to California

as you guys all know the market for built F/I 350z's has all but vanished...there going for penny's on the dollar.

sooo...id like to get one....

heres how i think it will work please correct me~
-buy car and drive it back
-10 days to get it smoged (obviously paying extra to make sure it passes)
-bring it to the dmv for inspection
*they tell me to bring it around back and look for the vin numbers on the dash
*they look under the hood for another visual inspection. dumb guy dosnt notice anything funny and im all set or he fails the car and i proceed to plan B

plan B
put a stock exhaust on from headers back and go back to the dmv

anyone gone thought this recently? can you safely limp a car with a turbo fuel map around without turbos? will the car already be flaged in the DMV system and be failed for having boost gauges?

if i can get it all done i think i will be fine because i will be living in the high desert where the cop situation wont be as serious as L.A
Old 06-09-2008, 08:23 PM
carfi179

No offense but Im confuse with your questions, bump for someone else who can help you.
Old 06-10-2008, 12:12 AM
Calvin@CRG
Temporary Disablement - Billing

i've never dealt with this myself but my buddies that register their cars that have boosted motors [ie sr'd 240] have never undergone an inspection by the dmv themselves...

i mean, they request smog papers but i'm pretty sure even you can find your way around that

i dont know... but from my 2nd hand experience thats what ive seen
Old 06-10-2008, 06:15 AM
troyboy162

Originally Posted by carfi179
No offense but Im confuse with your questions, bump for someone else who can help you.
yea i might be making more of it then it really is. Its just that, in my research, some people have clearly written on the internet that its pointless to try and have a non carb approved car driving around in cali. I understand that in some of the bigger citys people are being pulled over and having under the hood inspections... leading to bringing the car to state run "referee" smog stations.
Old 06-10-2008, 07:25 AM
Anomaly

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by troyboy162
im getting very serious about buying a modified 350 to bring back to California
as you guys all know the market for built F/I 350z's has all but vanished...there going for penny's on the dollar.
sooo...id like to get one....

heres how i think it will work please correct me~
-buy car and drive it back
-10 days to get it smoged (obviously paying extra to make sure it passes)
-bring it to the dmv for inspection
*they tell me to bring it around back and look for the vin numbers on the dash
*they look under the hood for another visual inspection. dumb guy dosnt notice anything funny and im all set or he fails the car and i proceed to plan B
plan B
put a stock exhaust on from headers back and go back to the dmv
anyone gone thought this recently? can you safely limp a car with a turbo fuel map around without turbos? will the car already be flaged in the DMV system and be failed for having boost gauges?

if i can get it all done i think i will be fine because i will be living in the high desert where the cop situation wont be as serious as L.A
Originally Posted by troyboy162
yea i might be making more of it then it really is. Its just that, in my research, some people have clearly written on the internet that its pointless to try and have a non carb approved car driving around in cali. I understand that in some of the bigger citys people are being pulled over and having under the hood inspections... leading to bringing the car to state run "referee" smog stations.

The DMV does not require car enthusiasts to report their modifications – only remove them if they are not up to emissions requirements. So, a boost gauge will not disqualify you since, in and of itself, it does not violate emissions requirements – just the equipment that it is hooked up to!

Here’s the information about buying a car out-of-state and registering the vehicle in California:
http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/brochures...cts/ffvr29.htm

My thoughts on trying to get a modified vehicle passed is this:
1. The DMV states that your car must be listed as 50 state emission legal – which the 350Z should be.
1a. Technically, you should be able to take the modified vehicle to a smog test station, not the state referee, and if the facility passes your newly acquired car then you should be all set.
1b. Caveat: However, many smog test stations are under scrutiny lately and are more worried about getting a huge fine over your car passing. So, hopefully you have a hook up at a shop that will be gentle on the visual inspection and let you slide IF you pass the rolling test. But this will only be feasible until a cop pulls you over and gives you a field inspection.

2. Provided you can prove that the vehicle passes CA emissions requirements on the rollers, you could try petitioning the ref to certify your car based on that evidence. In which case, you will be given your own CARB sticker/barcode that will need to be scanned at each inspection. Unfortunately, I think this might be a long shot…

Anyone else have some insight on this type of situation?