Notices
Southern California San Diego, Los Angeles, Orange County, Inland Empire, etc.

Moving out to Cali from TX

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2011, 12:45 PM
leykias

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^ that's cause they want to save money...

so they add the filler.
Old 08-12-2011, 01:38 PM
LunchBox20

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

lol being in TX we've got the TX mex and all this. I'm looking forward to trying some of the cali local stuff.

But for the most part I'm an Italian, and Japanese kind of guy (guess this also relates to the kind of cars I like,lol)
Old 08-15-2011, 04:06 PM
LunchBox20

This whole apt hunting is crazy.
Never seen so many areas and suburbs,lol
Old 08-15-2011, 04:10 PM
PeterFromSDiego

Yes sir it is. Southern California in particular is a HUGE region, with lots of suburbs. That being said, there is a lot of price fluctuation by region. You can literally pay a few hundreds more by one block.

And consequently, because of so many burbs and regions, you will soon find out that there are 478 ways to get through Cali because of our 129 freeways we have.

Originally Posted by LunchBox20
This whole apt hunting is crazy.
Never seen so many areas and suburbs,lol
Old 08-15-2011, 04:16 PM
verdict.
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 648 Likes on 491 Posts

I moved out of SoCal five years ago. I definitely miss it, but I would never want to live there again.
Old 08-15-2011, 05:38 PM
BornSlippyZ

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LunchBox20
lol being in TX we've got the TX mex and all this. I'm looking forward to trying some of the cali local stuff.

But for the most part I'm an Italian, and Japanese kind of guy (guess this also relates to the kind of cars I like,lol)
LA has tons of restaurants with any type of cuisine you desire (or how much your wallet can handle ). You have to hit up the Kogi truck since you are living in LA. Lots of great food served from lunch trucks. Also the best burger in LA is Umami Burger. When I go to LA (usually Woodland hills) I hit up Brothers Sushi. Really good authentic Japanese sushi/cuisine.

Good luck with your move op.
Old 08-15-2011, 09:20 PM
OCMan

Originally Posted by verdict.
I moved out of SoCal five years ago. I definitely miss it, but I would never want to live there again.
i moved to dallas for like a year and couldn't stand the freaken weather...super hot and humid. It was the biggest mistake I made in my life.

I am so glad i have moved back to cool 70 degree weather.
Old 08-17-2011, 12:11 PM
LunchBox20

Haahaha yeah, I'm looking forward to this awesome weather everyone keeps telling me about.

Got some crappy news though, Got a call from the apt complex I was going to rent with, they apparently leased the last one bedroom.

So Now I'm back on my hunt to find a place.
Just to put this out in the universe, I'm looking for a 1 bed room, 1 bath, kitchen, with washer and dryer, etc,etc and a safe place to park my baby.

Speaking of which, being from outside of Cali, we hear all these horror stories of California PD messing with cars, and emissions, etc.
I've got mostly bolt ons on my car, and planning on keeping it registered in TX. Can anyone give me any insight?
Old 08-17-2011, 02:45 PM
BornSlippyZ

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

All I can say is do not drive like an *** on the fwy or city roads. Cops love stopping us import guys here if you attract too much attention. Yes the police can 'inspect' your car, including under the hood 'inspections' when pulled over. Basically looking for 'illegal' modifications. Now, I dunno the laws on how long you can keep out of state plates for, but I found this on the CA DMV website...
Fees must be paid within 20 days of entry or residency to avoid penalties. Any vehicle owned by a California resident must be registered within 20 days of entry into California unless a special permit was obtained. Nonresidents whose vehicles are properly registered to them in their home state or jurisdiction may operate their vehicles in California until they:

Accept gainful employment in California.
Claim a homeowner's exemption in California.
Rent or lease a residence in California.
Intend to live or be located here on a permanent basis (for example, acquire a California driver license, acquire other licenses not ordinarily extended to a nonresident, registered to vote).
Enroll in an institution of higher learning as a California resident or enroll their dependents in school (K-12).

NOTE: Nonresident military personnel stationed in California or their spouses may operate their vehicles with valid out-of-state license plates from their home state or the state where the military person was last stationed.
Old 08-17-2011, 04:42 PM
Playboi12

Originally Posted by BornSlippyZ
LA has tons of restaurants with any type of cuisine you desire (or how much your wallet can handle ). You have to hit up the Kogi truck since you are living in LA. Lots of great food served from lunch trucks. Also the best burger in LA is Umami Burger. When I go to LA (usually Woodland hills) I hit up Brothers Sushi. Really good authentic Japanese sushi/cuisine.

Good luck with your move op.

+1 on umami burger and kogi truck.. havnt tried brothers sushi though... if u want to have fun at a sushi place tokyo delves in north hollywood is a blast except their food is kinda bad so i siggest eat before you go and spend the money on kegs =).. anyway cali is bomb so much to do if your into clubbing hit up hollywood... hit me up if u are i know a lot of good places haha.. in any case good luck on the apartment hunting and all.
Old 08-18-2011, 12:03 AM
350z006

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

I know what you're talking about about, but be careful about that 105/405 tunnel...I once saw a cop car waiting at the end of the tunnel and had to brake hard to not get caught...I drive like a granny through that tunnel since

Originally Posted by dvo
yeah, the 105 is either really bad or empty. Late at night you can really get up to speed , I especially love the interchange from the 105 west to 405 south, it's a long, tunnel that sweeps left and so much fun to go through.
Old 08-19-2011, 07:03 AM
Boneout JZA80
Sponsor
Shine Auto Project

welcome to cali

alot of my guys from BRG aka boneout are from the texas area (san antonio / austin reppin) welcome brotha !!!
Old 08-19-2011, 07:59 AM
dvo

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by PeterFromSDiego
Oh...and when you get to socal, you should get introduced to California Burritos. I'm biased though, I think San Diego has the best mexican food. You order a carne asada burrito and you get:
Tortilla
Carne Asada
Guac or Sour Cream

That's it. For some reason, most places in OC and LA will add rice, beans, pico de gallo and all this other stuff.
San Diego might as well be Mexico brah....

no just messing with you man! I had something called a california burrito in San diego and it was the best thing I've had in a while. Basically a burrioto just like you explained but it also had french fries in it, lol
Old 08-19-2011, 12:40 PM
LunchBox20

The company I work for here in College Station has "California style" restaurants La Bodega. So I have somewhat gotten a little taste.

I currently Dj and do promos as well as Assistant Manage the club for the company, which I'd love to continue to do while in Cali, however I know that's a process that takes time especially when you're the new guy in town.

Thank you BornSlippyZ for finding that information. Here I am moving a few states away, I'd be going crazy if I was moving to a different country,lol.

My Z was a California car to start with the only main mod that I added since it was in Cali was the GReddy catback exhaust, everything was done in Cali. Guess I'll put the silencer back in :/
Old 08-19-2011, 12:48 PM
LunchBox20

Originally Posted by Boneout JZA80
welcome to cali

alot of my guys from BRG aka boneout are from the texas area (san antonio / austin reppin) welcome brotha !!!
Those places are just a stone throw away. Hopefully I'll see you guys around once I'm out there.

Also, I just found a map that breaks up Cali in its Suburbs. I'll be in the West Hollywood area.

Last edited by LunchBox20; 08-19-2011 at 01:08 PM.
Old 09-02-2011, 03:55 PM
LunchBox20

Apartment locked down, I'll be Cali bound by the end of September. Looking forward to it.
This is my first big move, so hopefully all goes well.

Put my baby in the body shop to get her cleaned up for the trip and Cali (praying to GOD) nothing happens on the drive.
Old 09-03-2011, 12:43 PM
L33TZOR

I drive a 350z, and also DJ (music videos/music with turntables), i hit a lot of dj meets, actually havent hit up car meets lately, p/m me when you get down here if you like. Ron
Old 09-03-2011, 01:38 PM
PeterFromSDiego

Good travels and see you soon end of September. I wasn't sure if your car was slammed or not, but our roads are not forgiving. Nor is the traffic, the bad drivers, high gas prices, sometimes ruthless cops...but we still LOVE the golden state. You'll know why when you get here

Oh and Umami burger is good. But Kalbi Burger is much, much better. Not much hype around Kalbi and not so much traffic. It's in K-Town.
Old 09-05-2011, 03:55 PM
LunchBox20

Hmm, I'll have to check those places out when I get there.
The only burger place I've heard about is an N-Out burger. We just got one in Dallas and you'd think the whole state of Texas shut down when we got one,lol
Old 09-15-2011, 03:15 PM
LunchBox20

So going off what you guys have shared with me, just want to say I appreciate the insight and input.

Just picked up the car from the body shop and finishing up her service so I can head out there at the end of the month.

Quick Reply: Moving out to Cali from TX