Notices
Southern California San Diego, Los Angeles, Orange County, Inland Empire, etc.

moving to columbus, ohio!

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2012, 10:08 AM
onedirtyz
my car is dirty

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default moving to columbus, ohio!

HEY GUYS!
so i posted this in the appropriate north central/ohio forum, but i wanted to post it here too because i know the socal forum probably gets the most use and many of you guys have lived elsewhere (outside of warm, sunny socal) so... your expertise/advice is appreciated!

i'm moving from los angeles to columbus, ohio, having recently accepted a great job offer. the move is going to happen within the next 3 weeks, and my z's going to be flat-bedded out there.

having never really driven in cold/bad weather, save for the occasional rainstorm/cold snap we get here in LA, i'm a little freaked out... eventually i want to get a beater for under $2k but until then my lowered, modded z, running on 19" volks with hangook high performance tires, is going to have to cut it.... yes i know, i should get winter tires but that's just not in the budget right now (and anyway, i'd rather spend that $$ on a beater)

how bad do the roads out there get, anyone know? my commute will be from downtown columbus (or surrounding areas, haven't found a place yet) to new albany. seems like a pretty short commute especially since i'll be going against the flow of traffic. any tips on driving in ohio weather? or should i be worrying more about the salt?

also... in case any of you are from the columbus area... shop recommendations will be appreciated!!! within the next few months (probably when it warms up) i'm going to need coilovers and possibly some other work done.. and i need a great shop i can trust with the job.

what kind of oil should i be running for cold weather? i can handle oil changes myself, i'm just not sure on the oil #.. right now run motul full synthetic 8100 5w30. i'm guessing 0w30 is what i need?

OH and i have a bunch of stock 2006 touring parts i'd LOVE to unload... from OEM wheels, to OEM exhaust, to OEM springs, amber & clear corners, and probably a bunch of other **** i can't remember. if anyone needs anything i'm willing to let stuff go at decently low prices, otherwise the crap's gonna be sitting in my parents' garage forever.

THANKS ALL!
Old 01-13-2012, 10:31 AM
Raybrant

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm from NY so I can pitch in a little.

What you should be worrying about for the most part is the salt. It'll EAT through your undersides if you give it time. My advice is to take the Z off the road when they start salting.

Another thing is animals. There are a lot more deer out there. Get comprehensive insurance if you don't have it already.

Roads out there aren't that bad. Pretty much the same as they are out here.

Run the same oil you've been running; 5W30.

But yes, a beater is necessary if you don't want to screw your Z up. Also watch out for street parking. Don't parallel park in a busy place, your bumpers will get destroyed.
Old 01-13-2012, 10:40 AM
onedirtyz
my car is dirty

i was out there exactly a week ago, they've already started salting... i know it's gonna **** up the undercarriage & the body... but i kinda don't have a choice right now. just hoping to get a place with a garage so i can keep her as clean as possible.

thx for your input!!!!!!
Old 01-13-2012, 11:44 AM
fallenromeo

Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

You will be missed Naeiri. How much do you want for the exhaust? Is it the full exhaust?
Old 01-13-2012, 11:46 AM
Raybrant

You can still drive your Z. Just drive carefully especially if you have anything but winter tires.

Everytime you get a chance, rinse down the salt with warm water.
Old 01-13-2012, 11:57 AM
BornSlippyZ

Welcome fellow ex-SoCal'er lol!

I just moved out to Cincinnati about 3 weeks ago and we have been getting a little snow, probably less than an inch. Driving in this weather hasn't been bad yet and you just have allow a little bit of time to get to where you are going.

Salting also worries me but I have been hosing off the undercarriage of my vehicles after I drive them or after the snow lets up. Also make sure your Z's tires can tolerate below freezing temps, my Z has Yokohama S drives so that is a no go in freezing temps.

Welcome to Ohio!
Old 01-14-2012, 08:08 PM
onedirtyz
my car is dirty

raybrant i think we met today at willow springs!!! i was the girl who came in the white z with my friend, we rolled in with a red z, a black g, and a blue.. something. think we were right next to you.

skyler - i have the 3 pieces... ummm y-pipe, b-pipe, muffler, i think, right? whatever the nismo cat back exhaust system replaced. i'd say $200 as is, there's some rust that you should be able to clean off. i just don't have time to do that now. i can send you pix tomorrow if you give me your email address.
Old 01-14-2012, 08:26 PM
Raybrant

Originally Posted by onedirtyz
raybrant i think we met today at willow springs!!! i was the girl who came in the white z with my friend, we rolled in with a red z, a black g, and a blue.. something. think we were right next to you.
Yep... It alllll makes sense now.
Old 01-16-2012, 08:57 AM
onedirtyz
my car is dirty

OH YEAH i have my OEM sway bars for sale too..... all offers for everything will be seriously considered.... i need to get some money together to get a beater ASAP!
Old 01-16-2012, 09:02 AM
onedirtyz
my car is dirty

Originally Posted by BornSlippyZ
Also make sure your Z's tires can tolerate below freezing temps, my Z has Yokohama S drives so that is a no go in freezing temps.

Welcome to Ohio!
i'm on hankook v12's i believe... most definitely not meant for near-freezing temps, ice, snow.

yeah i'm gonna be the one in the slow lane driving 35mph with my emergencies on
Old 01-16-2012, 09:03 AM
Raybrant

Just letting you know, all beaters out there are rusty. It's not like out here where cars from the 70's are still driving really well. Spend no more than $4,000 for a beater. A good one can be had for $2-3k.

Don't be fooled into thinking you need AWD. Winters are driveable in even FR cars as long as you have winter tires. People in AWD cars think they can conquer the winter in all-seasons but a Miata or 240SX with winter tires can do better than those f*gs in Subarus.
Old 01-16-2012, 08:31 PM
John H.

I spent time in Cleveland. Salts on the roads (during winter) will destroy the car, in due time. Have a set of good winter tires. Good luck in OH.
Old 01-16-2012, 09:11 PM
kswoopz26

illl take your oem wheels
Old 01-19-2012, 01:46 PM
onedirtyz
my car is dirty

Originally Posted by Raybrant
Just letting you know, all beaters out there are rusty. It's not like out here where cars from the 70's are still driving really well. Spend no more than $4,000 for a beater. A good one can be had for $2-3k.

Don't be fooled into thinking you need AWD. Winters are driveable in even FR cars as long as you have winter tires. People in AWD cars think they can conquer the winter in all-seasons but a Miata or 240SX with winter tires can do better than those f*gs in Subarus.
oh believe me i am not spending more than $2k on a beater, and yes i know they're all rusty. i'd like a truck if i can find one (cuz i've always wanted a truck) or something like a jeep cherokee. i don't want to buy a FR car that i'll have to spend more money on to equip with suitable winter tires.... just saying.

Originally Posted by kswoopz26
illl take your oem wheels
$400 as is (curb rash/knicks....oops) if you're really interested let me know you can come by the shop they're stored at and check them out
they've got the original rubber on them too but i'm positive those tires are shot... however you can probably drive on them for a few days before getting new tires.
Old 01-23-2012, 09:45 AM
dikspiel
Chestons Toilet

Received 92 Likes on 72 Posts

when in snow/ice get blizzaks + learn to be very light on the throttle and when breaking slowly put your foot down. Also when driving in this environment remember your car is no longer a sports car but a minivan so treat the handling as such.