Notices
Texas Dallas, Austin, Houston, San Antonio, etc.

San Antonio, a nice place to live?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2006, 05:25 PM
3FITTTY

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by z-u-later
That's not unusual . . . I know quite a few people who lived in SA and commuted to Austin also. Depending on where you live/work, it is at least 1 hour to 1 1/2 hour drive. If you want the best of both worlds, you can live either in New Braunfels or San Marcos. These towns are between Austin & San Antonio on IH35. San Marcos is a college town and definitely has a night life (during the school year). New Braunfels doesn't have quite a night life but is booming during the summer months (Canyon Lake, Guadalupe River, Schlitterbahn Park, etc). Cibolo, Schertz, Selma are communities just north of SA and a great place to live (single or married). New subdivisions are booming in this area and very affordable.

MY RECOMMENDATION: Live in Austin, Dallas or Houston -- that's one less Z in the SA area -- I want Zs to be rare in SA! Just kidding, of course.

New Braunfels is terrible and San Marcos only night life is Frat partys, all bars close at midnight..

Schertz, is the best place if you have to work in SA, imo..

But it is not that bad of a commute from Austin to SA, i do it all the time, i work in both cities and drive back and forth all the time, thus the 26k miles on my car in 8 months..
Old 07-23-2006, 05:27 PM
Eazzy

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

UC is all right --Randolph AFB --- Has some cool places to eat. Right next to Loop 1604 and IH 35---No night life really cept a few smaller bars,,close to downtown SA and easy to jump onto 35 and hit Austin. Very Military.Cops used to be ****** but may have gotten better. Priced right as far as housing.Big Movie theater,The Forum which is a outdoor Mall deal---Lots of stores. Brand New Big Golds Gym. No offence but Schertz used to be a little Ghetto--May have gotten better.I live like 20 minutes from there and everything I need is in UC or Seguin

Last edited by Eazzy; 07-23-2006 at 05:30 PM.
Old 07-23-2006, 05:29 PM
3FITTTY

Originally Posted by E***zzzzy
UC is all right --Randolph AFB --- Has some cool places to eat. Right next to Loop 1604 and IH 35---No night life really cept a few smaller bars,,close to downtown SA and easy to jump onto 35 and hit Austin. Very Military.Cops used to be ****** but may have gotten better. Priced right as far as housing.Big Movie theater,The Forum which is a outdoor Mall deal---Lots of stores. Brand New Big Golds Gym. No offence but Schertz used to be a little Ghetto--May have gotten better.
yes schertz did used to be ghetto, now UC is the ghetto.. Schertz is really nice, all down 3009 is built up now..
Old 07-23-2006, 05:32 PM
Eazzy

ur right --- 3009 has really changed---I lived there in Schertz 15 + yrs ago and just have no reason to go that way so Iv missed the changes and UC I never go to anymore ---cept the Forum
Old 07-23-2006, 06:02 PM
solidsnake

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by af350z
What about universal city? That is the area I am moving to. Any good/bad things about that city?

IMO the best place in SA to move to. Its expanding at a fast rate and your far away from the crappy parts of SA. Good choice in living. You got 1604 right near you which gives you access to all of San Antonio and if you feel like coming to Austin just jump on 35 and head North.
Old 07-23-2006, 06:56 PM
z-u-later

Let me share with you a little secret if you are considering the SA area to live -> do NOT live in Bexar County (which is where SA is). Taxes & insurance are higher. Find a place in the outskirts. If you are looking in Northeast SA, look at Cibolo, Schertz or Selma -- they are all in Guadalupe county. SA, UC, Live Oak, Converse, Kirby are all in Bexar county, thus higher taxes & insurance. The school districts are also better in the Cibolo/Schertz area.

Schertz & Selma are booming with new subdivisions and retail stores. The Forum in Selma/Live Oak is an outstanding place to shop and for entertaintment (theaters, various gyms, restaurants, bars, athletic stores, etc.). I live in Cibolo and everything I need are in Schertz, Selma, UC, or Live Oak.

All these areas are off IH35 and you can commute to SA (30 minutes or less to downtown) or Austin (1 hour).
Old 07-24-2006, 04:46 AM
SOLO-350Z
'12 TL SH-AWD

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 3-fity
Sounds like you want to be in Austin. San Antonio does NOT have a night life.

Dallas would be the next best, IMO, to Austin. Although there a more pretentious attitude here as compared with Austin.

People who think SA has no night life has never been here.

Austin is a college girl town. You would expect it to be more active. But San Antonio, has a ton of things and places to go at night. Especially downtown.

Most Austin people here in Texas always bad mouth SA because they think they are better when they aren't.

Last edited by SOLO-350Z; 07-24-2006 at 04:53 AM.
Old 07-24-2006, 04:55 AM
SOLO-350Z
'12 TL SH-AWD

Helotes is a good area to live as well. They now have a large Forum like area and its also booming. I agree about the Taxes. They are a bit high in Bexar County. But still way cheaper than Austin.

I have been to Austin, and Dallas and Houston for fun. San Antonio takes the cake for more overall fun. Austin is for the younger crowd that likes to party down on 6th street all night. San Antonio has that but also has its range of other activities. Austin, thats it. Nothing else to do.
Old 07-24-2006, 05:16 AM
3-fity

Originally Posted by G35_TX
People who think SA has no night life has never been here.

Austin is a college girl town. You would expect it to be more active. But San Antonio, has a ton of things and places to go at night. Especially downtown.

Most Austin people here in Texas always bad mouth SA because they think they are better when they aren't.
So I guess the 20 years that I lived there don't count as "being" there?
Old 07-24-2006, 05:53 AM
SOLO-350Z
'12 TL SH-AWD

Originally Posted by 3-fity
So I guess the 20 years that I lived there don't count as "being" there?
31 years here. And sorry but I have learned about Austin people. They always bad mouth SA. It's a known fact.
Old 07-24-2006, 01:15 PM
aggie05

Originally Posted by 05-Z
Cool...thanks for the tips. Last question....Would anyone live in Austin and commute to SA? Would that be nuts?
Wouldnt be nutz, but you wouldnt do it more then a yr without thinking about moving. I live in New Bruanfels and commute to the N side of SA. Takes about 20 mins. Try to atleast move halfway like San Marcos then your close to Austin and SA.
Old 07-24-2006, 01:17 PM
3FITTTY

Originally Posted by z-u-later
Let me share with you a little secret if you are considering the SA area to live -> do NOT live in Bexar County (which is where SA is). Taxes & insurance are higher. Find a place in the outskirts. If you are looking in Northeast SA, look at Cibolo, Schertz or Selma -- they are all in Guadalupe county. SA, UC, Live Oak, Converse, Kirby are all in Bexar county, thus higher taxes & insurance. The school districts are also better in the Cibolo/Schertz area.

Schertz & Selma are booming with new subdivisions and retail stores. The Forum in Selma/Live Oak is an outstanding place to shop and for entertaintment (theaters, various gyms, restaurants, bars, athletic stores, etc.). I live in Cibolo and everything I need are in Schertz, Selma, UC, or Live Oak.

All these areas are off IH35 and you can commute to SA (30 minutes or less to downtown) or Austin (1 hour).
+1 stick with Guadalupe county..
Old 07-24-2006, 01:19 PM
3FITTTY

Helotes is a good area to live as well. They now have a large Forum like area and its also booming. I agree about the Taxes. They are a bit high in Bexar County. But still way cheaper than Austin.

I have been to Austin, and Dallas and Houston for fun. San Antonio takes the cake for more overall fun. Austin is for the younger crowd that likes to party down on 6th street all night. San Antonio has that but also has its range of other activities. Austin, thats it. Nothing else to do.
Oh man you are soo wrong, Yeah SA has quite abit of stuff to do, but Austin has so much more! So many festivals and activities going on all the time, there is ALWAYS something to do in Austin!
Old 07-24-2006, 01:20 PM
3FITTTY

Oh yeah and one more thing, if you are not open minded, Austin is not the place for you to live.. Very liberal town..
Old 07-24-2006, 01:27 PM
Eazzy

+1 Guadalupe --I luv it --Low taxes and I drink beer with the Sheriff
Old 07-24-2006, 01:28 PM
SOLO-350Z
'12 TL SH-AWD

Originally Posted by 3FITTTY
Oh man you are soo wrong, Yeah SA has quite abit of stuff to do, but Austin has so much more! So many festivals and activities going on all the time, there is ALWAYS something to do in Austin!

Ummm, sorry but Austin doesn't have nearly as much stuff to do as San Antonio does.
Old 07-24-2006, 01:31 PM
3FITTTY

Ummm, sorry but Austin doesn't have nearly as much stuff to do as San Antonio does.
k
Old 07-24-2006, 01:44 PM
solidsnake

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ive lived in SA for 17yrs and I just moved to austin last year. So I would know the difference. Austin is better because all the night life is in one location. In San Antonio the clubs are spread out all over the town. Also consider San Antonio is mexican town. If you like dark females then SA is your town. Austin has a mix of all races. UTSA BABY!! LOL. anyways make your own choice. Dont let us determine your decision. Good luck!
Old 07-24-2006, 01:47 PM
3FITTTY

Originally Posted by solidsnake
Ive lived in SA for 17yrs and I just moved to austin last year. So I would know the difference. Austin is better because all the night life is in one location. In San Antonio the clubs are spread out all over the town. Also consider San Antonio is mexican town. If you like dark females then SA is your town. Austin has a mix of all races. UTSA BABY!! LOL. anyways make your own choice. Dont let us determine your decision. Good luck!
+1

SA = mexico

I have lived in SA/Schertz for about 14 years, but have stayed in Austin the past year as well, I love it there!! So much fun!
Old 07-24-2006, 02:28 PM
af350z

I guess if I live in the outskirts I will get the best of both SA and Austin, since they both seem to have a bit of stuff to do. Guess I will just have to look around and check out the area when I get there.

Quick Reply: San Antonio, a nice place to live?