Tuning Reflashes, Piggybacks, Standalone ECUs

Just recieved a prototype UTEC.

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2005, 01:37 PM
10secapsttz
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just recieved a prototype UTEC.

MRC Motorsports has just recieved a prototype UTEC,thanks to Jermaine at Turbo XS,and we will commense playing with it in the next few weeks to see how it will work for tuning an F/I car. Our goal is to mate it to the APS TT kit and remove the UNI-CHIP and APS boost controller. The resulting outcome will be a larger number of available tuning facilities and maps for different octane ratings.I will keep you posted as we learn this unit..
Old 09-19-2005, 01:46 PM
ken350z

Am I the only one that doesn't know what a UTEC is?
Old 09-19-2005, 01:49 PM
LaoSiFu

Originally Posted by ken350z
Am I the only one that doesn't know what a UTEC is?
I assume it is before VTEC

Same, what is UTEC?
Old 09-19-2005, 01:58 PM
taurran

It's another form of engine management, in this case an alternative to the Unichip.
Old 09-19-2005, 02:29 PM
Johntuki

https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....highlight=UTEC

This is good news
Old 09-19-2005, 08:42 PM
10secapsttz
Banned

That is correct, it is VERY well know in the Subaru world and works very well on those cars.Basically it is a piggy back ECM that acts like a standalone somewhat. Read the link above for a better more technical explanation..Stay tuned, we will be installing it in a few weeks as soon as it slows down and we can work on our own cars...
Old 09-19-2005, 09:31 PM
PhreeZe

I ran a UTEC on my old WRX and it works great. It is the number #1 choice for engine management in the Subaru world. Although its not the best, it sure works great. Uploading maps and modifying maps is a breeze. You should expect to pay $1100ish from vendors... Used market will eventually go down to the $600's for the UTEC. Anyways this is a great advancement for tuning a 350Z for both NA and FI. You guys should definetly run this OVER any unichip or reflash!

Jason

P.S. If you guys have any questions about the UTEC, post it here and I will try to answer them the best I can.
Old 09-20-2005, 02:41 PM
Landbarger

Can't wait to hear some results, IMO the eManage and eU are a little less-than adequate for BIG mods/hp numbers, and the F-Con V seems a little overboard for a daily driver. I'm hoping the UTEC is going to fit the bill just right.
Old 09-20-2005, 02:51 PM
tonio

Originally Posted by PhreeZe
I ran a UTEC on my old WRX and it works great. It is the number #1 choice for engine management in the Subaru world. Although its not the best, it sure works great. Uploading maps and modifying maps is a breeze. You should expect to pay $1100ish from vendors... Used market will eventually go down to the $600's for the UTEC. Anyways this is a great advancement for tuning a 350Z for both NA and FI. You guys should definetly run this OVER any unichip or reflash!

Jason

P.S. If you guys have any questions about the UTEC, post it here and I will try to answer them the best I can.

I was thinking about getting an STi before and I think the other engine management I was going to look into was the Cobb Accessport I think it was? Not sure, I'm interested to see how the Utec goes for the APS TT kit.
Old 09-20-2005, 02:53 PM
10secapsttz
Banned

Originally Posted by tonio
I was thinking about getting an STi before and I think the other engine management I was going to look into was the Cobb Accessport I think it was? Not sure, I'm interested to see how the Utec goes for the APS TT kit.
Were going to put it in tommorow and play with the settings a bit.see if it runs with the APS injectors..
Old 09-20-2005, 02:54 PM
Road Warrior

subscribing....i have been waiting for something like this vs the reflash

just how good will it be being in the nissan environment vs the subaru world?

gotta wait and see how reliable and how well this performs in the field for a while before i make that kind of committment ($1100)
Old 09-20-2005, 03:38 PM
Gruppe-S
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We tune alot of WRX/STI here with UTEC. This system is meant to be for storing different race gas maps. However, you can also tune you car to run pump gas but it won't be as good as getting an actual reflash on the ECU. With that said, the UTEC is a great unit for people that wants the ability to switch to race gas map with a flip of a switch.

Thanks,
Tom
Old 09-20-2005, 03:57 PM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

The UTEC is far superior to a reflash, at least on the 350z. You can set timing with the UTEC and precisely control fuel. The only question whether it can control really large injectors, and high boost.

Unless you have the techtom tool, and you can tune on the dyno, the UTEC or EU are better options for most people.

We were also given a beta unit from UTEC...just trying to find the time the get my car on the dyno...been incredibly busy...and now my rear main seal is leaking a bit.
Old 09-20-2005, 04:01 PM
sentry65
the burninator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you can flip a switch on the EU I think to switch to another map for race gas - maybe sharif can correct me if I'm wrong
Old 09-20-2005, 07:45 PM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Originally Posted by sentry65
you can flip a switch on the EU I think to switch to another map for race gas - maybe sharif can correct me if I'm wrong
Thats correct...both the EU and UTEC allow for user switched maps. You could do one for low boost/pump gas, and another for high boost/race fuel...or whatever you prefer.
Old 09-22-2005, 10:50 AM
eraz3r

The utec was good for basic stuff but on a wrx it had a transition that made tuning a pain, i dunno if thats still the case. My only other gripe was that it looks like DOS and tying a wideband to it is impossible/difficult unless you buy the turboxs wideband. lame imo. however, it is nice for those that need to retain their obd2 system and like the robust features of the factory ecu.
Old 09-22-2005, 11:18 AM
tonio

Originally Posted by 10secapsttz
Were going to put it in tommorow and play with the settings a bit.see if it runs with the APS injectors..
any progress?
Old 09-22-2005, 11:27 AM
10secapsttz
Banned

Originally Posted by tonio
any progress?
We actually are in the process of sending Turbo XS our car..We going to let them play with it a bit and see what they come up with..
Old 09-23-2005, 07:32 AM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Originally Posted by 10secapsttz
We actually are in the process of sending Turbo XS our car..We going to let them play with it a bit and see what they come up with..
Cool...helps that MRC is close to Turbo XS. Let us know how it goes.
Old 09-23-2005, 10:20 AM
Cronic

Originally Posted by Sharif@Forged
The UTEC is far superior to a reflash, at least on the 350z. You can set timing with the UTEC and precisely control fuel. The only question whether it can control really large injectors, and high boost.

Unless you have the techtom tool, and you can tune on the dyno, the UTEC or EU are better options for most people.

We were also given a beta unit from UTEC...just trying to find the time the get my car on the dyno...been incredibly busy...and now my rear main seal is leaking a bit.
Does the 350z utec allow open loop fueling?

What concerns do you have with big injectors? And what do you consider high boost? What size injectors do you usually run?

We have between 15-20 500+whp subarus we have built, and 95% of them run the utec. We have ran in excess of 33psi, and 565whp with it and still have not reached the limit with it. The more time that goes by the more advanced the TXS boys make it. I

The WRX/STI utec has come a LONG way, and continues to get better. I also run the utec in my evo, and have the same posative experiences.

We are lucky to have a new EM solution on the market!

Dave
Kingpin Performance

Quick Reply: Just recieved a prototype UTEC.