Notices
Tuning Reflashes, Piggybacks, Standalone ECUs

What are my tuning options?

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2006, 06:08 PM
TheCajunStyle

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What are my tuning options?

I'm on the stock JWT TT kit--base map (untuned) at 6.8psi. What are my options as far as tuning goes? I'd prefer to not have to purchase a piggyback, as I believe this kit comes with a Split Second box...Is this true? How can I confirm this? (I honestly don't know where to look).

I haven't been able to find anyone in a similar situation as myself. It seems as though the base map is set to run rich, so everyone who has this kit is "happy" as is--they prefer not to have this tuned.

Any input is greatly appreciated.
Old 08-07-2006, 07:30 PM
westpak
SFZCC

It has a split second box but only wired to control timing not the fuel, not much tuning that can be done, what does your dyno look like? Do you need tuning?
Old 08-08-2006, 02:42 PM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can have the split second box rewired to control fuel, if JWT doesnt offer it out of the box. I havent seen the split second box included with the JWT kit, but I can only assume its the same as the one included with the Vortech.

Westpak, any idea why JWT elected to leave fuel control up to the pump and FMU?
Old 08-09-2006, 08:47 AM
TheCajunStyle

Well, I guess I should be a little more explicit in what I want to do...I originally wanted to install the 7.9psi wastegate springs, but found out that the turbos would need to be taken down. All in all, it would be more worth it to get a good electronic boost controller, instead. With that being said, I believe a tune would then be necessary (because I would be promoting a lean condition), since the stock map is set for 6.8psi.

I am mainly looking for what components I would have to purchase to successfully tune this setup. If the split second box is already there, great. I understand that it might need to be rewired. Would I also be required to obtain aftermarket injectors and/or a fuel return system? Also, how do I find out if anyone in my area tunes the Split Second box? I've only been able to find UTEC and Unichip tuners...
Old 08-09-2006, 09:11 AM
QuadCam

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sharif,

Actually, the SS box for the vortech is a custom piece that SS makes for Vortech. SS ads the output for controlling a fuel pump on the Vortech SS box.

IF you call SS, you can have SS make the box however you want it. They can be ordered with full datalogging capabilities, including a wideband A/F input(more inputs than the Vortech SS box has.)

The best bet is to call SS and find out what the JWT box has as far as features.

finally, SS won't upgrade or exchange boxes either!

Originally Posted by Sharif@Forged
You can have the split second box rewired to control fuel, if JWT doesnt offer it out of the box. I havent seen the split second box included with the JWT kit, but I can only assume its the same as the one included with the Vortech.

Old 08-09-2006, 09:13 AM
QuadCam

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i believe that is for CARB compliance. I'm pretty sure that you cannot change injectors if you want to meet the CARB requirements.