Notices
Tuning Reflashes, Piggybacks, Standalone ECUs
View Poll Results: Which tuner are you using?
UTEC
60.68%
Apexi SAFC II
8.55%
Greddy
11.11%
HKS
16.24%
AEM
3.42%
Voters: 117. You may not vote on this poll

What tuner do you use?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2007, 02:24 PM
pony_killer
Arada ninda apa

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What tuner do you use?

I'm debating what tuner I want to go with for my 06 Z and just seeing what the most of you are using for your rides. I'm leaning towards UTEC but still not sure...also looking into Greddy, Apexi SAFC II, AEM, and HKS. Does anyone have any problems with any of these? Which is the most user friendliest? etc.

Thanks
Old 01-10-2007, 02:33 PM
Robert_K
Didn't Go Cheap

Received 101 Likes on 75 Posts

Do more research as I don't think the UTEC is offered for an '06 350Z. I'm sure TurboXS will release one though.
Old 01-10-2007, 02:54 PM
rocks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Search button.
Old 01-10-2007, 02:59 PM
pony_killer
Arada ninda apa

i could have sworn someone on here has an 06 with UTEC...
Old 01-10-2007, 03:40 PM
tabbott

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The UTEC works just the same on the O6 Z as other models. I have been running one for about 6 months and it is working great for me.
Old 01-10-2007, 03:46 PM
pony_killer
Arada ninda apa

Originally Posted by tabbott
The UTEC works just the same on the O6 Z as other models. I have been running one for about 6 months and it is working great for me.
just what i thought...thanks. im leaning more and more towards UTEC w/the remote map switch. also i know turboxs has a tuner standard and a tuner pro that are supposed to be compatable with the UTEC? whats the purpose of this and do I need it if I'm going N/A?
Old 01-10-2007, 03:48 PM
Blu_Blur

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I didn't like the idea of the UTEC switching on and off based on boost even though the concept does make sense and appears to work great for many. I haev read on this board of fuel input problems though with the UTEC in regards to adjusting it and it running too rich and then too lean.

I myself am using a Greddy E-Manage Ultimate. If you do get a Greddy, go with this one and not the Blue as the blue can't handle all the paramters of boosted Z's. It works great for me and has kept my car running smooth as hell with a little bit better throttle responce. The ony 'problem' is that it throws a code and the SEL light goes on. It's called the random mis-fire code but it may be attributed to the TN kit also. It is considered a 'ghost' code as the car isn't misfiring in actuality.

You have to realsie that if you are gonna boost your Z and start changing parts, nothign is gonna be exactly the way you want it and you shoudln't give a crap about some SEL light (however, it is a good idea to check the codes every once inawhile since the SEL light could mean more than just one issue. You could theoretically bend a rod which throws it's own code and you may not even know it other than a bad engine idle).

Either the UTEC or the E-Manage is a great way to go in the end-game.
Old 01-10-2007, 04:04 PM
pony_killer
Arada ninda apa

well like i said I'm staying N/A so I don't have to worry about boost and turbo, etc. Still doing lots of research before I give into the UTEC. Also does anyone have any info on the turboxs tuner pro and what its function is and what it has to do with the UTEC unit?
Old 01-10-2007, 04:17 PM
Mike Wazowski
350Z-holic

where's the "none of the above" or "other " choice?
Old 01-10-2007, 04:29 PM
THE TECH

+1
Old 01-10-2007, 04:32 PM
pony_killer
Arada ninda apa

Originally Posted by USN HM 350Z
where's the "none of the above" or "other " choice?
lol hey man, these are tuners that "Im interested in!" J/K hey if your using something besides the ones listed, please do share. And remember this is going on a N/A setup.
Old 01-10-2007, 05:16 PM
Robert_K
Didn't Go Cheap

I'm running the UTEC, Tuner wideband, & Map switch on my N/A motor. The wideband is used to monitor your Air/Fuel ratios (AFR). The benefit useing the TXS Tuner (or Tuner Pro) is that you can datalog you AFR as well. This allows you to road tune.
Old 01-10-2007, 05:28 PM
pony_killer
Arada ninda apa

Originally Posted by Robert_K
I'm running the UTEC, Tuner wideband, & Map switch on my N/A motor. The wideband is used to monitor your Air/Fuel ratios (AFR). The benefit useing the TXS Tuner (or Tuner Pro) is that you can datalog you AFR as well. This allows you to road tune.
thanks for answering that question. next question, is it necessary to have the TXS wideband tuner/tuner pro or am I good with the UTEC alone? I'm not really going to be road tuning, rather gonna just take it to SGP and have them do the tuning for me. I just want to get as much gains with all the mods I plan to install and thats why I'm looking into the UTEC. Thanks again
Old 01-10-2007, 05:35 PM
Robert_K
Didn't Go Cheap

IF you are staying N/A no need for a wideband. When you dyno tune the dyno will have a wideband they will use. Also unless you plan on useing different fuel (91, 100, 110 octane) or having altitude changes (Sea Level to 2000, 3k, 4k feet+) You won't need the map switch. The map switch is so you can have different tunes. IE: I have a 91 octane daily drive tune & 91 agressive tune. Plan on a 100 octane race tune. The only benefit to have the map switch is that you can switch to map 7 that kills all timing (ignition). However you can change the maps on the UTEC but its tucked under the passenger dash so its difficult to access. Hope this helps.
Old 01-10-2007, 05:46 PM
pony_killer
Arada ninda apa

Thanks for all the info Robert...I wanted the map switch just incase I ever need it for future use, but right now I'm just looking for a daily driver street tune to keep it at all time. Did you have any check engine or sensor lights come on after the tune or do you have any right now due to the UTEC?
Old 01-10-2007, 05:54 PM
Robert_K
Didn't Go Cheap

I do, however I, and my tuner, believe its do to the altitude I'm at (Colorado 6k+ ft). My tuner has already corrected one UTEC tune with this problem.
Old 01-11-2007, 02:37 AM
Rev-em-hard

anyone use an S-AFC II with the 06's? I am actually interested in the same question that this thread is about.If all I want to do is have the ability to adjust and fine tune my A/F and ignition timing, then would i need to have something as expensive as UTEC just for these adjustments? I know somebody told me to just get the apexi autotimer and S-AFC to go an enexpensive route that works well with a dyno tune.thanks and sorry for the thread jack lol!
Old 01-11-2007, 05:29 AM
unkn0wn ryder

aight haven used the utec yet but its what im gonna be using on my F/I set up.. well for now any ways.. then when i get the funds for it gonna go with the hks fcon lol.... gonna be instalin the utec when i get back to the states lol... but here's what i found on the utec when i was doing research on it.... dont know if you found this already... any way.. here ya go.... hope this helps...

Turbo XS UTEC For 350z

This is going to be the engine managemen to turn Z tuning around forever! Plug and play engine management that retains the factory ecu for things like cold start, idle up with air conditioning, cruise control, VDC, and traction control. However, this unit will allow full user control over the fuel and timing curves. In basic form it allows control over Fuel and Ignition Timing. Each control gives you 250 rpm resolution from 500 rpm to revlimit with over 10 different load sitesPlus, it is fully compliant with the OBD2 diagnostic software, so inspections are no problem.

Ignition Timing Control

The 350Z UTEC has its own injector and coil drivers. Unlike a pure piggyback, the 350Z UTEC actually drives the car. When you decide that you want to run 10 degrees of timing advance at 4000rpm, the UTEC fires the coils at 10 degrees BTDC. This level of timing control is impossible with a pure piggyback. Most piggybacks "control" ignition timing by modifying the crankshaft and camshaft position sensor signals before they enter the ECU. You don't actually program a timing value but a timing offset value (positive or negative) that is than applied to the timing that the ECU wants to run. That works fine in a car with a static, unchanging timing map. Unfortunately, today's cars have highly variable ignition timing maps. So you are applying a static offset value to a changing timing map. The result is, you never actually know what timing you will run. The UTEC eliminates the guess work and gives you the control you need without making you jump though hoops.

Convenience
The UTEC has the ability to hold 5 different user definable map groups. Each map group can contain a different fuel, ignition timing, and boost map. All of these selections are available at the flick of a switch. One of the key benefits to this system is the ability to run different mapping strategies for different gas conditions. Typically, you'll setup your primary "daily driving" map in position 1. You can then use maps 2-5 for various levels of boost or for optimizing the motor to run on race fuel. The UTEC allows you the flexibility to take advantage of every situation.

Usability
The UTEC software is incredibly easy to use. It is engineered for compatibility with almost every laptop or PDA you can find. All you need is a spare communications port and windows 3.1 or higher. Once connected to the UTEC, the text menus are simple to understand and easy to navigate.

All key strokes and their features are clearly explained on every UTEC screen. Editing the maps on the UTEC is as simple a reading the directions at the bottom of your screen. This ECU will not take you months of study just to learn to move around in the software. It lets you get down to the business of tuning your car quickly and efficiently. In fact, after a just a few uses making changes will becomes second nature.

Datalogging
Modifying your engine's performance requires the proper information. The UTEC provides that information in spades. You don't need a second laptop or an OBD2 logger system to know what's going on with your motor. The UTEC provides all the key parameters in its own simple to use logging interface
With the addition of our TXS Tuner, the UTEC will even give you your air fuel ratio in the above log using a true wideband air fuel sensor. Armed with this information, you can tune your car with complete confidence.

Ease of Installation

Installing the UTEC should take an average enthusiast less then 30 minutes of work using only common hand tools. It comes with a highly detailed instruction manual that will walk you though the process and have you back on the road as quickly as possible. It is important to note that while using the UTEC is easy, the power and control it gives you takes some skill to harness. The UTEC is a powerful tool. To get the most out of it, you must spend time learning the basics of engine management. Installing the UTEC and learning the interface is far easier then the process of actually learning to tune an engine.

The 350Z UTEC is shipped with a base map. This base map is meant a starting place. You can plug it in and run this map and expect some decent gains over the stock ECU. However, there is quite a bit of horsepower left for a skilled tuner to extract. There is no "one size fits all" when it comes to engine tuning. Our experience with cars from stock to 500whp has taught us that you will always benefit from tuning your car for your modifications. Don't let the ease of install fool you, this is a serious tool for serious users.

Connectivity:

By teaming the UTEC with Turbo XS's Tuner or Tuner Pro, you are also able to datalog with a wideband 02 sensor in real time, and have your UTEC tunes based off of a real wideband 02 - just like the pro tuners use!

Upgradable software: as enhancements are made to the TurboXS UTEC software, updates will be posted here as well as on TurboXS's website for immediate download.
Old 01-11-2007, 06:06 AM
Rev-em-hard

sounds like this is the only way to go lol!
Old 01-11-2007, 07:23 AM
z-u-later

I'm also curious to see what kind of feedback you'll receive on this thread. I'm not ready to shell out $$$s yet for an EMS and am looking at other alternatives. I'm also handicapped by the fact that there are no tuners in the San Antonio-area. In Houston, at least you have SGP. For near-term, I'm just looking at an ECU reflash with before & after dyno to see what kind of gains I'll get with my mods. I've inquired with UpRev in Austin on the cost but they have failed to answer to my inquiries.

Quick Reply: What tuner do you use?