Notices
Tuning Reflashes, Piggybacks, Standalone ECUs

Confused... adaptor for UTEC tuner?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2007, 05:10 PM
derek173

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Confused... adaptor for UTEC tuner?

I have been reading everything I could find about tuning the UTEC, I stumbled upon some threads in this forum discussing people having problems connecting their tuner and laptop? Couple threads mentioning using a RJ-12 <> Serial <> USB adapter???

Now I was under the impression that you hook up the tuner to the UTEC and then connect the laptop to the UTEC? The tuner would just add A/F ratio column in the UTEC logs? Why are people connecting directly to the tuner?

Also can I connect my laptop to the UTEC through USB..or do I need an adaptor?
Old 02-28-2007, 06:16 PM
2slo2bfurious

http://www.compusa.com/products/prod...rtable_Adapter

Connect the serial cable from the utec to the tuner, then from the tuner to something like that..... belkin works 100% sure, others have been hit and miss. This is the only way it will work in conjunction with the tuner pro. You can't go laptop > utec > tuner. I think the tuner reg is the same....
Old 02-28-2007, 06:54 PM
derek173

I think this is where my confusion begins, I thought that the Tuner connects to the UTEC, Giving the UTEC A/F ratio. Then I would connect the UTEC to the PC to get logs that include A/F ratio?

I dont understand why the tuner gets connected to the PC? Dont all the logs come from the UTEC and tuner just adds A/F ratio to those logs?
Old 02-28-2007, 08:46 PM
derek173

Also in the utec manual it says the utec connects to PC through the serial input, I also see a USB input. Can I use USB to connect the UTEC to the PC?
Old 02-28-2007, 11:58 PM
2slo2bfurious

if you don't use the tuner then you connect the utec to computer via usb, otherwise if you use the tuner, you have to connect to the serial port on the tuner, and then connect the tuner to the serial port on the utec....

Its not complicated, just not exactly how most people would assume the components would connect imo. But that's how the people at Turboxs decided to manufacture the hardware and write the software.... not much to not understand!!
Old 03-01-2007, 01:44 AM
Audible Mayhem
My350z

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ok, here is the breakdown.

the utec can work all by itself, the tuner can work all by itself. when combining the two, you read the UTEC through the Tuner.

you need to have the utec hooked to the tuner with a DB9 serial cable. then have the tuner powered up with the two wires off it, then hook up the O2 sensor.

then take the phone cord out of the tuner into the phonecord to serial connector that is provided, then run the serial into the laptop or have a serial to USB connector to run into the laptop...

and DONT use the same shortcut that you use for regular utec connection, it configures it completely different so you will need to make a whole new hyperterminal connection.
Old 03-01-2007, 10:29 AM
derek173

Thanks for clearing up my confusion. Gonna pick up the serial/usb adaptor.

thank you, thank you, thank you