Notices
Tuning Reflashes, Piggybacks, Standalone ECUs

AEM piggyback

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2007, 07:09 PM
booger

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default AEM piggyback

I heard and seen a few adds on the AEM piggyback . My sop owner seems to think it has total control over timing . Does anyone know if this is true ? And has anyone seen or used the unit ?
Old 07-12-2007, 12:27 AM
unchi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by booger
I heard and seen a few adds on the AEM piggyback . My sop owner seems to think it has total control over timing . Does anyone know if this is true ? And has anyone seen or used the unit ?
has total fuel control and can retard timing from stock if necessary

works quite well for F/I
Old 07-12-2007, 04:57 AM
booger

Originally Posted by unchi
has total fuel control and can retard timing from stock if necessary

works quite well for F/I

When you say retard timing from stock....do you mean just off setting it ? If stock is 26 degree's advanced at WOT . Do you put in....say....10 . So final timing would be 16 degree advance ?

THANKS !!!!!!
Old 07-12-2007, 05:24 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

works just like an emanage does from all I know

given that it needs to be wired in, best bet is a utec still
Old 07-12-2007, 05:29 AM
booger

My shop is installing a Utec on a Z this week . He doesnt like how its ran [ past experience on Subies] , but he hasnt started tuning it yet . Im still just searching , looking at all possibilities .

E-manage . Does it off set timing ?????
Old 07-12-2007, 06:03 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

those who don't like how a UTEC behaves generally are not well versed in how to tune it...it's quite easy to use, but like anything, past experience very much dictates how it all goes.

Anything that has it's own drivers can dial in exact timing. On the old Emanage Blue, it required additional harnesses to do timing. On the new Emanage Ultimate, not sure if its the same or not...never used one, nor would I at this point, given how well the UTEC works.
Old 07-12-2007, 06:19 AM
booger

Originally Posted by Z1 Performance
those who don't like how a UTEC behaves generally are not well versed in how to tune it...it's quite easy to use, but like anything, past experience very much dictates how it all goes.

Anything that has it's own drivers can dial in exact timing. On the old Emanage Blue, it required additional harnesses to do timing. On the new Emanage Ultimate, not sure if its the same or not...never used one, nor would I at this point, given how well the UTEC works.
Wel I know for a fact he can tune it reall well . He has plenty of high HP Subies hanging at the shop that have a Utec in it .

Like I said , Im just looking at all possibilities and like to know how all of them work . The only thing Ive ever seen is the SS box .
Old 07-12-2007, 07:39 AM
MIAPLAYA

The AEM box works as stated above. Complete control over fuel (boost referencing available) but will only retard/advance timing from the stock curve not complete ignition control. At least thats what the last article I read said. Theres a short write up in last month's issue of Modified Mag. I'll scan and post tonight for you.
Old 07-12-2007, 07:47 AM
booger

Originally Posted by MIAPLAYA
The AEM box works as stated above. Complete control over fuel (boost referencing available) but will only retard/advance timing from the stock curve not complete ignition control. At least thats what the last article I read said. Theres a short write up in last month's issue of Modified Mag. I'll scan and post tonight for you.
Mia
If thats what the artical says . Dont bother going through the trouble of scanning and posting it . I wouldnt use it if thats how it works . It wouldnt be much better than the SS box Ive got .

Thanks for the info guys ! !
Old 07-12-2007, 08:06 AM
MIAPLAYA

Mia
If thats what the artical says . Dont bother going through the trouble of scanning and posting it . I wouldnt use it if thats how it works . It wouldnt be much better than the SS box Ive got .

Boog,
I'll double check the article tonight. If its other then what I posted I'll scan and post.

EDIT:
Nevermind, quick look at their site confirms its only adjustments. No 100% control for timing. It does do 100% injector control though:

http://aempower.com/ViewCategory.aspx?CategoryID=116

Last edited by MIAPLAYA; 07-12-2007 at 08:08 AM.
Old 07-12-2007, 08:14 AM
panapower

The AEM box works as stated above. Complete control over fuel (boost referencing available) but will only retard/advance timing from the stock curve not complete ignition control. At least thats what the last article I read said.
that is exactly correct. you cant add timing but only take away. kinda of like the split second device.
Old 07-12-2007, 08:16 AM
panapower

Mia

if SS you mean split second, IMHO its much better than SS. you can tune real time with the FI/C unlike the SS. that right there is a huge advantage. to me at least.
Old 07-12-2007, 08:25 AM
booger

Originally Posted by panapower
if SS you mean split second, IMHO its much better than SS. you can tune real time with the FI/C unlike the SS. that right there is a huge advantage. to me at least.
When I said SS box...I meant Split Second and the R$ software to tune it . With it , you off set injector pulse width + or - and timing is only retarding timing by offset also .
Old 07-12-2007, 08:27 AM
panapower

When I said SS box...I meant Split Second and the R$ software to tune it . With it , you off set injector pulse width + or - and timing is only retarding timing by offset also .
yep, were familiar with it as well but we'd rather be able to do steady state tuning and with the FI/C its possible.
Old 07-12-2007, 09:44 AM
MIAPLAYA

Originally Posted by panapower
yep, were familiar with it as well but we'd rather be able to do steady state tuning and with the FI/C its possible.
I think Boogs point is why would he spend the money on an EMS that does exactly what his SS box can do sans real time adjustments. He's already installing the UTEC and was looking for a better solution in the same price range. The AEM F/IC is not it. Boog, just pony up for the Haltech when its out. It'll be far more worth it. Between all the Fcon features, PLUS cam timing control, and end user tuneable its going to be your best bet. I know you like to tweak like I do and thats my choice right now.
Old 07-12-2007, 09:55 AM
panapower

I think Boogs point is why would he spend the money on an EMS that does exactly what his SS box can do sans real time adjustments. He's already installing the UTEC and was looking for a better solution in the same price range. The AEM F/IC is not it. Boog, just pony up for the Haltech when its out. It'll be far more worth it. Between all the Fcon features, PLUS cam timing control, and end user tuneable its going to be your best bet. I know you like to tweak like I do and thats my choice right now.
i would just stick with the utec if he's already got that. no sense in going with the FI/c or ss. the haltek will be a much better alternative than both combined.
Old 07-12-2007, 12:00 PM
booger

Im still running the SplitSecond piggyback . And if it could do 20psi instead of 16psi max . I would stay with it for awhile and flash the stock ECU to run both the regular and aggresive maps at the same timing .

Im actually thinking between the Utec and AEM standalone from Sound Performance . And right now I dont like the idea of forking out $3000 for the AEM and to get it tuned