Notices
Tuning Reflashes, Piggybacks, Standalone ECUs

Osiris questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2008, 10:43 PM
dhays

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Osiris questions

I've got an '06 GT Coupe that is completely stock. I'm considering adding the MD VQ and Shockwave catback exhausts. I'm also thinking about getting the Osiris because of the versatility of the switchable maps. The tunes that I'd be interested in are economy, valet, Daily driver, and autocross. My thought was that maybe I should get the Osiris with tunes for the stock car, then put on the Shockwave and dyno it. I could then send the cipher log to UpRev and have them update the tunes based on the logs.

I'm a complete neophyte to tuning so I'm not even sure if I'm correct in my thinking on this or not. The other option would be to purchase the Osiris from a local (not that local, but close enough) and having them do the dyno tune for me after getting the Shockwave installed. I have yet to figure out the cost differences on the last option.

Advice, thoughts?
Old 12-19-2008, 05:41 AM
Netacoma2003

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I initially went the Technosquare / Utec route in going FI but in hind sight should've went straight for Osiris. The software would be perfect for the various applications you mention since customizing maps and switching between them is so straight forward. I wouldn't recommend it as a DIY unless you have equipment to monitor your vehicle (e.g. dyno, AFR, etc)

Call Intec racing in Kent (2538720872) and ask for Lawrence; they're the only "local" Osiris tuner in the state of Washington.
Old 12-19-2008, 08:08 AM
UpRev
Banned

Your best option is always to work with one of our Pro Tuners. Access to the instant updates and feedback on the dyno is always going to result in the best outcome, plus it's always wise to build a relationship with a shop that you can turn to should anything ever go wrong.
Old 12-19-2008, 11:58 AM
BrazenZ

Installing a catback system isn't going to add a great deal of horsepower, The stock computor will add fuel for the less restrictive exhaust. You don't really need Oirisis unless you are planning bigger (ie more expensive )and better mods.
Old 12-19-2008, 01:10 PM
__jb
Z + Rear Seat

Originally Posted by BrazenZ
Installing a catback system isn't going to add a great deal of horsepower, The stock computor will add fuel for the less restrictive exhaust. You don't really need Oirisis unless you are planning bigger (ie more expensive )and better mods.
The stock computer will not add fuel to take advantage of a performance item. That's what you get a tune for.

The stock computer will adjust the air/fuel so that it runs at the best emissions levels... that's what it does.
Old 12-19-2008, 04:59 PM
dhays

My biggest interest in the Osiris is the option of different tunes (ie economy and valet) as well as one for Autocross. Plus being able to get rid of of the throttle limitation at low speed/low rpm would be helpful for autocross.
Old 12-19-2008, 05:00 PM
dhays

Originally Posted by Netacoma2003
Call Intec racing in Kent (2538720872) and ask for Lawrence; they're the only "local" Osiris tuner in the state of Washington.
Yeah, I'm definitely thinking about that option.
Old 12-20-2008, 07:41 AM
Netacoma2003

I just had my shift kit installed and switched the map over to econo so the shop wouldn't be allowed to test my boost levels. I forgot to tell them, however, and they called me saying they installed the kit but now the car won't go over 60mph.....ooops!
Old 12-20-2008, 08:13 AM
BrazenZ

Originally Posted by __jb
The stock computer will not add fuel to take advantage of a performance item. That's what you get a tune for.

The stock computer will adjust the air/fuel so that it runs at the best emissions levels... that's what it does.
He's talking about an exhaust system that may add 7-12 hp, and he is not forced induction. If you buy the Oisiris system around $900 and run AFR's pig rich and add timing you probably won't add 30 hp, and you will definately shorten the life of the O2 sensors and the cats, "that's what it does" From a cost/benefit point of view the money might be better spent else where.
Since the OP has stated is reasons for the was for better throttle response at lower RPM then Oirisis may be exactly what he needs.

Last edited by BrazenZ; 12-20-2008 at 08:31 AM.
Old 12-20-2008, 10:44 AM
__jb
Z + Rear Seat

He's talking about an exhaust system that may add 7-12 hp, and he is not forced induction. If you buy the Oisiris system around $900 and run AFR's pig rich and add timing you probably won't add 30 hp, and you will definately shorten the life of the O2 sensors and the cats, "that's what it does" From a cost/benefit point of view the money might be better spent else where.
Since the OP has stated is reasons for the was for better throttle response at lower RPM then Oirisis may be exactly what he needs.
Getting an Osiris tune and running it "pig rich" is not what it does. Getting Osiris and tuning your car for performance is what it does. Osiris is a great mod for NA cars because you can tune it again every time you change something.
Old 12-20-2008, 10:53 AM
cdoxp800

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Osiris/Cipher are great programs. I just downloaded the latest Cipher RTT " Real Time Tuning " from them. I have been missing with it off an on for about a month or so. There is a little learning curve due to a few corks, but the the Uprev guys are on it. I have not ran the Cipher RTT Ver I got from 12-17-2008. So I will be interested as to what has changed.
Old 12-21-2008, 04:25 AM
UpRev
Banned

I just had my shift kit installed and switched the map over to econo so the shop wouldn't be allowed to test my boost levels. I forgot to tell them, however, and they called me saying they installed the kit but now the car won't go over 60mph.....ooops!
lol
Old 12-21-2008, 06:17 AM
cdoxp800

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Netacoma2003 View Post
Love it.. I can not wait to catch the dealer try to drive mine when it's in the Valet map. 32 mph and 3000 RPM. LOL
Old 12-21-2008, 08:19 AM
SOLO-350Z
'12 TL SH-AWD

Originally Posted by dhays
I've got an '06 GT Coupe that is completely stock. I'm considering adding the MD VQ and Shockwave catback exhausts. I'm also thinking about getting the Osiris because of the versatility of the switchable maps. The tunes that I'd be interested in are economy, valet, Daily driver, and autocross. My thought was that maybe I should get the Osiris with tunes for the stock car, then put on the Shockwave and dyno it. I could then send the cipher log to UpRev and have them update the tunes based on the logs.

I'm a complete neophyte to tuning so I'm not even sure if I'm correct in my thinking on this or not. The other option would be to purchase the Osiris from a local (not that local, but close enough) and having them do the dyno tune for me after getting the Shockwave installed. I have yet to figure out the cost differences on the last option.

Advice, thoughts?
There is no such thing as a autox tune. You can get 93 Octane Performance, 87 Octane, Economy, Valet, Stock.
Old 12-21-2008, 03:58 PM
twitch579

Originally Posted by SOLO-350Z
There is no such thing as a autox tune. You can get 93 Octane Performance, 87 Octane, Economy, Valet, Stock.
Actually I got a drag map also with my Osiris flash.
Old 12-21-2008, 09:02 PM
SOLO-350Z
'12 TL SH-AWD

Originally Posted by twitch579
Actually I got a drag map also with my Osiris flash.
Drag is available for racing fuel. But AUTOX? LOL.
Old 12-23-2008, 03:19 PM
dhays

Originally Posted by SOLO-350Z
Let me rephrase it then. I'd like a tune to use for autocross. You can of course call it anything you want.
Old 12-24-2008, 06:15 PM
OCG35
Banned

^^^ +1... you can call any of the maps whatever you want = and can tune each of them how ever you want. There is no definition of any of them... the names that have been picked up on out here are from the many of us that have described what we use each of our custom maps for.

Example: The most aggressive map I have, I simply call race tune - I use it when running race gas, either at the drag strip or road course... it could just as easily be called AutoX map.

Most people use a map with low rmp and speed limiter and call it "valet" - I have a similar map but never let a valet drive my car - its more of a limiter in the unlikely event that someone unauthorized gets a hold of my car. Or for when its at a shop for non-engine work (such as body shop)

So, set the maps however you want and call them whatever fits your custom description. In reality you only need to remember maps 1-5 and know what each of the tunes are for.
Old 07-24-2009, 01:25 PM
jbuff

are you saying the car wont do over 60 if you have the econo map done? i recall someone else on here saying if you hit over 4k in econo on his tune, it will automatically switch to performance mode...is that just something his shop did extra or is that pretty standard w/ the osiris? im looking to get this done down in wilmington in a few weeks, partly cuz there is no uprev dealers in MI, partly cuz i have a 1100+ mile trip back, so the econo would be cool...unless i cant go over 60 lol

jess
Old 07-28-2009, 10:28 AM
UpRev
Banned

Economy mode is generally limited to 4k rpm. Not a speed limit, though it wouldn't help to run 100mph and expect to get any sort of economy. Depends on what you ask the tuner to set up really.

It doesn't auto switch to any map at any limit, you would have to switch it.

Quick Reply: Osiris questions