Notices
Tuning Reflashes, Piggybacks, Standalone ECUs

Does anyone else feel kinda cheated by Uprev's Osiris?

Old 07-17-2010, 06:17 PM
Chris@FsP
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I haven't had any problems with crashing, either before or after the the latest update.
Old 07-17-2010, 08:22 PM
boostedforlife

Originally Posted by mysterymann
Thanks for the new quote lol
anytime
Old 07-20-2010, 03:12 PM
PunKidd

Originally Posted by GT-ER
Wow...I guess something good came out of my tread after all...lol. Software runs great now. Weeee...

Jared, you should allow use to play with your updates more often. We could probably help you speed up product development.
@ GT-ER, The whole idea behind us using the Lua scripting language was so that we could make the ROM editor extremely open to programmers to write custom functions and make custom GUIs, but our developer who implemented the Lua scripting never really got the open part done, and I think at this point, so much has been build on top of it that changing it around to make it open again is probably never going to happen

What cars are you guys logging on when you have the Cipher crash issue? We had an issue for a while on the VVEL cars where there were duplicate parameters and one was always bogus, but that should be fixed with the latest update (as of a few weeks ago).
Old 07-20-2010, 03:46 PM
LMG_35C

Hi Jared,
I've been experiencing intermittent crashes while logging my 04 G35 Coupe, non-VVEL.
At first I thought it might be that I'm hitting some log file size limitation but it also happens when doing the 0-60's.

I'll try the current update. My last experiecne was about two weeks ago with the most current update at the time as I had been trying to log the runs for an updated tune but gave up after experiencing this issue.

Let me know if there's something specific I could check or report on that might help me isolate this.

For anyone else that might be on the fence about Osiris, please don't mis-interpret my comments. I feel that the standard tune that I've received and the monitoring capabilities alone are definitely worth the price of admission.
Old 07-21-2010, 01:36 PM
PunKidd

OK. I think that I created a new problem when I was testing the issue with the config files. It should be fixed now. Anyone that was having crashes during logging can try running the updater and giving it another try.
Old 07-21-2010, 03:16 PM
djamps

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

04.5 coupe, xp 32 bit. It only happened one day...once during live tuning and again during logging. Both times some sort of application runtime error came up (generated by Cipher), with an option to 'continue' but obviously it didn't work. Next time I'll grab a screen shot, I'll also check windows app log to see if anything is there.
Old 07-21-2010, 03:22 PM
PunKidd

Make sure you run the updater first. I just put up new files today.
Old 08-16-2010, 06:50 AM
=Cerberus=

Do you have some sort of forum, or class? How do your pro tuners get trained to use the software? Is this something that individuals with the full tuner option can get? While the instructions were long, they were a bit vague. I feel like I can do more then is talked about in the instructions.

I am just trying to get the most out of my investment.
Old 08-18-2010, 01:28 PM
PunKidd

Originally Posted by =Cerberus=
Do you have some sort of forum, or class? How do your pro tuners get trained to use the software? Is this something that individuals with the full tuner option can get? While the instructions were long, they were a bit vague. I feel like I can do more then is talked about in the instructions.

I am just trying to get the most out of my investment.
We do offer free training to our pro tuners. They can either come to our facility or they can pay for my travel arrangements and I will come to them for 1-2 days. Only 4-5 tuners have actually taken advantage of this.

I know that user guides are WAY out of date and we've learned a LOT more about how the ECU works since I wrote them. I've been waiting for our developers to wrap up the tuning/logging/tracing in the ROM editor at which point I plan to re-write the entire guides from scratch. The ROM editor is getting closer every week. We just released a version that "locks out" and greys out non RTT parameters when you are using RTT in the ROM editor. As soon as the last of the logging is ready for release (I hope in less than a month, but we'll see).

Feel free to let me know of any specifics you guys want me to go over in the user guide that are not covered in the current guides.
Old 08-26-2010, 01:05 AM
=Cerberus=

Users who have the full tuner kit have access to the rom editor correct? I get a license error when I try and open it.

I would love to poke around and mess with settings, but I would like to be able to do it away from the car. Is there any way that you can set the software up to open some sort of test environment, or just be able to mess around on a test copy of a ROM?

I wish I was closer to Texas, I would definitely drop by and take advantage of that, even if I had to pay a little.

I think a sticky thread here would be nicer then this thread, which seems to put a bad light on the product. Something people can use to put together notes and things.

Last edited by =Cerberus=; 08-26-2010 at 02:33 AM.
Old 08-26-2010, 05:52 AM
Chris@FsP
Vendor - Former Vendor

Originally Posted by =Cerberus=
Users who have the full tuner kit have access to the rom editor correct? I get a license error when I try and open it.

I would love to poke around and mess with settings, but I would like to be able to do it away from the car. Is there any way that you can set the software up to open some sort of test environment, or just be able to mess around on a test copy of a ROM?

I wish I was closer to Texas, I would definitely drop by and take advantage of that, even if I had to pay a little.

I think a sticky thread here would be nicer then this thread, which seems to put a bad light on the product. Something people can use to put together notes and things.
You can access the ROM editor away from the car, just plug the cable into your pc.
Old 09-23-2010, 08:15 PM
Kelbizzle

Is there anyway we can get a change log of some sort with the updates? I would hate to break a customers car because we're working with software that's not fully tested before being updated or if we have an issue with a customers car because of a bug and said bug is later fixed. It would be nice to know about it.
Old 12-26-2010, 07:46 PM
Gimpster

Wow, this rambled.

Hate to bump an old thread, but tonight I felt like I needed to post. I'm actually a Frontier owner, but I feel like this forum is where I find the best information about UpRev's products.

I don't feel cheated at all, but I agree with the OP... by far the least polished commercial tuning product I've used.

I've owned a ton of commercial tuning products, used a ton of freeware, owned a couple stand-alones (AEM and MegaSquirt) and even did a lot of my own hacking on OBD0/1 Hondas and OBD1 Mitsubishi. So I feel like I'm in a pretty good position to say that

That all being said, my compliants are almost all surrounding the UI. As someone in the IT biz, UI issues are some of the easiest to fix.

I will agree with the UpRev employee who posted on here about the domestic tuning solutions, and their general ease compared to the import biz. Those communities (even if you don't have a line to the original devs) is MUCH more open. I've been able to get fully commented DASM's out of people back in the day with no issues in the GM world. The import code hackers, for the most part, keep things very close to the chest. There are some exceptions (OBD0/1 Honda), but you get the drift.

The one place I see the domestic guys are now failing is on cars that are GDI and using Bosch ECU's. God forbid they're having to do dirty work and they're not doing so well. BUT I digress

A question I'd ask is why UpRev maintains so many patched ROM's. I'll be the first to admit I have little experience with OBDII applications, but in my Honda hacking days I picked the best "base" ROM and went from there. No matter what Honda application you had, you always used a P72 base (1994/5 Integra GSR). This is what DSMLink, Hondata and quite a few others did as well.

I'm only wondering that since one of the issues mentioned was the time it took to constantly patch unseen/unsupported ROM's.

We really need a better picture of whats going on with knock.

I'm sure as time goes on it'll get better, and it DOES accomplish what it claims.
Old 12-26-2010, 07:48 PM
Gimpster

Oh, and they REALLY need to get a Forum and wiki rolling. Having to hit 3-4 forums that arent even related to my vehicle is kinda silly. Seriously guys, you can install phpBB or the like in about.. oh.. 10 minutes I think a forum they operate would really eliminate a lot of the gripes about not being able to get ahold of them.

Locking the forum to only registered UpRev owners like DSMLink does would be a good idea too.
Old 12-27-2010, 08:25 AM
PunKidd

First a heads up... we're moving into a new facility the first of January 2011, so development is probably going to come to a screatching halt for a few weeks around here. Anyone who has been to our current facility know that this is a well over due move.

Our developers don't get to spend nearly as much time as they'd like on the UI. Our lead developer is actually working on a whole new interface, but it will probably be a while before any of you see that, sorry : ( The ROM editor interface was originally intended to be much more "open" to the end user, allowing them to write and share their own macros and functions, but that never really panned out and now the code a little more complicated than it probably needs to be.
You should see knock parameters in the current version of the ROM editor pretty soon now that the ROM editor supports logging of custom/non-Nissan supported parameters.

The reason we go ahead and maintain so many ROMs is due to many of them being based on pretty much the same code with minor tweaks for the hardware they were intended for. To add another ROM with new part number that is based on the same code only takes us a few minutes. It's when we have to work on a new code base for different hardware (like I'm sure we did yours since we don't have many Frontier customers) that things tend to take a while, 2 weeks most of the time. It's more a problem that we spread ourselves a little thin buy supporting ANY Nissan that uses the later generation ECUs. If we only supported the sports cars and Titan trucks, we'd have to spend a lot less time patching ROMs.

Vbb and Wiki code are already up on our server. It's taking our web guy a little longer than we were expecting to get the single log-in setup so that you can use the same account for our store/fourms/Wiki and whatever else we end up adding to the site.

Jared@UpRev.com
Old 12-27-2010, 01:36 PM
Gimpster

I appreciate that reply.

I actually felt kinda bad about how it came out when I just re-read it. Getting the feel for someone is always tough on the internet. Direct comparisons to other tuning companies isn't particularly fair. Like I said, the product does work as advertised. I'd rather have a goofy UI vs. a bricked ECU or motor I need a broom & dustpan to pick up the pieces with.

Glad to hear a forum and wiki are close!
Old 12-27-2010, 04:51 PM
PunKidd

No worries. You guys keep giving the feedback and we'll keep providing updates and improvements.

Jared
Old 01-03-2011, 06:01 PM
rocks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Go try a utec to tune with, then go back to uprev and you will love uprev.
Old 11-10-2011, 07:09 AM
bleunetizen

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I noticed the logging in Rom Editor has "knock strengh", does this show the knock value you can rely on when tuning?
Old 11-15-2011, 11:50 AM
PunKidd

It's pretty reliable on a stock engine, but we still recommend listening for knock with a set of headphones and a knock amplifier. For built engines it tends not to work as well since the factory code wasn't intended for forged internals and lower compression.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Does anyone else feel kinda cheated by Uprev's Osiris?