Notices
Tuning Reflashes, Piggybacks, Standalone ECUs

A/F gauge

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2010, 09:47 PM
JDMStanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default A/F gauge

I'm not sure but i think my car runs rich or lean. I have a JWT popcharger, MD spacer, and hr y-pipe. I felt the real difference in how the car runs after i changed my engine oil to castrol 0w-30 from some crap oil with firestone oil filter that were installed when i bought the car. During idle, i smell something unbearable inside sitting down. But i don't see white or black residue in the exhaust tips. This thread looked helpful, http://www.350zmotoring.com/forums/m...lled-pics.html but i wanna know more about A/F gauges. Sorry for long questions
1) How difficult is it to install this? I never messed with sensors but i too all other installations on my car
2) What brand has the most accurate A/F gauge? Defi?
3) If i suspect my car runs rich or lean, is this something that i can fix myself?
4) Do you recommend ppl getting this or just bring the car to fix the problem?
Old 09-22-2010, 06:20 AM
str8dum1

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

1. easy to super difficult depending on your level of mechanical aptitude. basically you need a bung welded in before the cats, and then its just wiring.
2. have to do a google search. most every brand uses a bosch sensor so they should all be pretty similar
3. if you have a piggy back or standalone EMS yes. a reflash can also work. tuning is expensive as well.
4. your description is very vague and with your mods, your car should not be running any different than stock. I'd reset your stock computer by pulling the battery cable over night and going from there.
Old 09-22-2010, 07:55 AM
Brett@AwesomeZ
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, a wideband is a must for a modified boosted car. Not so much for an N/A. Chances are if your car was running too rich for some reason the ECU would throw a code for it. If you can get to someone with a proper scan tool then they should be able to tell you if the car is running rich or not.

Are you smelling raw fuel when you are inside the car?
Old 09-22-2010, 08:08 AM
JDMStanced

Originally Posted by Brett@AwesomeZ
Well, a wideband is a must for a modified boosted car. Not so much for an N/A. Chances are if your car was running too rich for some reason the ECU would throw a code for it. If you can get to someone with a proper scan tool then they should be able to tell you if the car is running rich or not.

Are you smelling raw fuel when you are inside the car?
i don't know how raw fuel smells like lol. But when i inside, i can smell somethihng that stings my nose little bit. Just a little bit. It's like the smell you could smell if you live your car running in a small garage but more stronger.
So unless the car throws a code, i'll be fine?
Old 09-22-2010, 08:12 AM
JDMStanced

Originally Posted by str8dum1
1. easy to super difficult depending on your level of mechanical aptitude. basically you need a bung welded in before the cats, and then its just wiring.
2. have to do a google search. most every brand uses a bosch sensor so they should all be pretty similar
3. if you have a piggy back or standalone EMS yes. a reflash can also work. tuning is expensive as well.
4. your description is very vague and with your mods, your car should not be running any different than stock. I'd reset your stock computer by pulling the battery cable over night and going from there.
i disconnected the battery whenever i installed a part. It's weird because i felt the difference right when i changed the engine oil. The engine runs smoother now because i can hear and feel it. It's like the feel of pistons moving in thick oil not just the pistons moving.
Old 09-22-2010, 12:35 PM
djamps

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

If you're smelling stuff inside the car you probably have an exhaust leak. Even a pinhole leak can sometimes stink up the inside.
Old 09-22-2010, 06:28 PM
JDMStanced

Originally Posted by djamps
If you're smelling stuff inside the car you probably have an exhaust leak. Even a pinhole leak can sometimes stink up the inside.
that's weird cause my car is not lowered and drive slowly over bumps. I after I installed hr y-pipe I retorqued after a few days.. hmm
Old 09-22-2010, 11:01 PM
djamps

Originally Posted by 350zRiot
that's weird cause my car is not lowered and drive slowly over bumps. I after I installed hr y-pipe I retorqued after a few days.. hmm
What does how you drive have anything to do with it? I was talking about exhaust mod installation issues...
Old 09-22-2010, 11:11 PM
JDMStanced

What does how you drive have anything to do with it? I was talking about exhaust mod installation issues...
you said a pinhole could cause the leak. I was assuming pinholes are from scratching or hitting bumps
Old 09-23-2010, 12:26 PM
djamps

you said a pinhole could cause the leak. I was assuming pinholes are from scratching or hitting bumps
I meant bad welds, gaskets, flex joints, ect. Doesn't take a bump to have issues there but hitting stuff is never good -- you'd probably have more than a pinhole if an object in the road caused a hole!!
Old 09-23-2010, 05:45 PM
JDMStanced

I meant bad welds, gaskets, flex joints, ect. Doesn't take a bump to have issues there but hitting stuff is never good -- you'd probably have more than a pinhole if an object in the road caused a hole!!
I checked today and everything looks normal.

No one has yet to suggest me which A/F is decent with low price
Old 09-23-2010, 11:02 PM
nyZ_nick

i have a strange smell coming from my car,not in the cabin but when i step out of it. i dunno if its oil burning or clutch. it smells like boiling water mixed with lead pipes..
Old 09-27-2010, 08:09 AM
kelsey_kaye

do a search.
Old 09-29-2010, 06:47 AM
derekinthez

do a search.

Originally Posted by kelsey_kaye
do a search.
I'll be running the innovate wideband, can't remember how much I paid for it.