Notices
Tuning Reflashes, Piggybacks, Standalone ECUs

Rain...UTEC...Issues!

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2010, 04:13 PM
TSG-Z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rain...UTEC...Issues!

Whats going on people, 1st I searched and results didnt answer my question. I have, what I think is a rather unique problem, as I called Sharif and he hasnt heard of this neither. I have a UTEC powering my Vortech S/C and it runs great...if its not raining outside! Its my weekend/garage beast so its not driven often, but when I was coming back from Z1 Nationals I had the ride of my life...outside of driving the Dragon! When its raining outside my car experiences hesitation and eventual power loss. I believe this happens when the UTEC tries to kick in. When I try to accelerate some times I get some serious knock, but when it dried outside...no problems! Sharif tuned my car about a month ago so it doesnt need a retune or existing issues other the rain problem...please help!
Old 09-26-2010, 04:25 PM
Chris@FsP
Vendor - Former Vendor

Check the wiring under the car and in the engine bay to make sure there is nothing that could be getting shorted out when it's wet. Also, make sure the ecu wiring grommet from the engine bay to the cabin is not leaking.
Old 09-26-2010, 05:19 PM
qqqqball

had similar issue, vacuum line had water following down it to map sensor, which in turn told utec i was boosting an addition high psi, and exhibited same symptoms
Old 09-26-2010, 09:25 PM
hellsoldiers08

y not use uprev? I understand is a small problem and stuff but this way you would never have to worry about utec getting wet :/. Im pretty sure shariff would be able to tune osires just fine. Just food for thought. Hope you get your problem fixed.
Old 09-27-2010, 04:52 AM
djamps

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by hellsoldiers08
y not use uprev? I understand is a small problem and stuff but this way you would never have to worry about utec getting wet :/. Im pretty sure shariff would be able to tune osires just fine. Just food for thought. Hope you get your problem fixed.
Wrong, "UPREV" (stock ECU) can get just as wet if the main harness boot isn't sealed properly as in the case of the OP. This is a fairly common issue with all modified Z and G's (not just UTEC owners either). I'm surprised Sharif doesn't have any clue about this. A bit concerning actually.

@OP: Check the harness boot behind the battery, make sure it's snapped in tight. Then grab a tube of silicone and seal the crap out of it, especially in the areas aftermarket wires/tubes have been shoved through.
Old 09-27-2010, 10:46 AM
hellsoldiers08

Good point djamps, never thought about that. Reason why i said uprev because if he returned to stock he new it was working before utec but you do make a good point, that would be the cheaper route to go.
Old 10-20-2010, 12:42 PM
Jtran Studios
Vendor - Former Vendor

always triple check the weap hole on the dash trim on the outside of the front windshield, water is known (and has happened to me) to seep through that damn hole and get into the harness. Just plug it up with some black silicone and let it dry. Take off the harness pull out the Utec and check for any pins that could have been damaged when the wetness creeped in Cross fingers

Amber
Jtran Studios