Notices
Tuning Reflashes, Piggybacks, Standalone ECUs

Reflashing stock ecu or tuning with a plug and play

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2011, 07:21 AM
ImportPartsPro
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The number $700 sure is being thrown around a lot, it can be had cheaper...
Old 04-07-2011, 09:05 AM
Alexl08

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by djamps
An F/I tune with Uprev typically runs $1000+. $500 is on the cheap end for a N/A tune. You picked a car that is expensive to tune compared to subies and mitsus... so now you gotta pay to play.

Well Its not going to be worth it to me to gain maybe 15hp. Ill just maximize grip and brake and weight.
Old 04-07-2011, 09:07 AM
Alexl08

Originally Posted by ImportPartsPro
The number $700 sure is being thrown around a lot, it can be had cheaper...

well the most I would pay for 10-20 hp for a NA tune is about $300 so unless anyone is making offers I wouldn't consider it. I know there is probably several people out there with a base map for a stock Z that it would take 10 mins to upload it
Old 04-07-2011, 09:30 AM
Vince@R/TTuning
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Alexl08
well the most I would pay for 10-20 hp for a NA tune is about $300 so unless anyone is making offers I wouldn't consider it. I know there is probably several people out there with a base map for a stock Z that it would take 10 mins to upload it
We typically charge 595.00 tuned out the door for a N/A 350Z tune, that price includes the License and tuning time. Sometimes we offer a promo price of 525.00 tuned out the door. I believe in the beginning you were asking about the Tuner software specifically. When we sell Osiris Standard ($500 License and Cable) we offer free e-tuning with that as well. If you are comparing strictly gains from Evo's and 350z's it will look not even comparable due to being able to raise the boost levels on the Evo's.

But if I can sell ya on it for a quick min, the gains may seem minimal on the tune, number wise, but when driving the car it makes a huge difference. Throttle in and out is smother and more responsive and low end torque feels amazing. Also raising idle and rev limits is nice as well. I get people all the time calling me a week after there tune telling me it feels way more the just a 12-14 hp gain and its the best mod they have done.

Also lastly, if you plan on tracking this car, and you have done breather mods...I.E. intake, spacer, test pipes, exhaust, or a combination of three of them. Chances are you are running dangerously lean, your gonna run hot on the track and burn through some oil as well. Longevity wise you would be helping yourself.
Old 04-07-2011, 09:50 AM
ImportPartsPro
Vendor - Former Vendor

^ true that. gains under the curve are very important. Especially at the road course.
Old 04-07-2011, 09:59 AM
Alexl08

Originally Posted by Vince@R/TTuning
We typically charge 595.00 tuned out the door for a N/A 350Z tune, that price includes the License and tuning time. Sometimes we offer a promo price of 525.00 tuned out the door. I believe in the beginning you were asking about the Tuner software specifically. When we sell Osiris Standard ($500 License and Cable) we offer free e-tuning with that as well. If you are comparing strictly gains from Evo's and 350z's it will look not even comparable due to being able to raise the boost levels on the Evo's.

But if I can sell ya on it for a quick min, the gains may seem minimal on the tune, number wise, but when driving the car it makes a huge difference. Throttle in and out is smother and more responsive and low end torque feels amazing. Also raising idle and rev limits is nice as well. I get people all the time calling me a week after there tune telling me it feels way more the just a 12-14 hp gain and its the best mod they have done.

Also lastly, if you plan on tracking this car, and you have done breather mods...I.E. intake, spacer, test pipes, exhaust, or a combination of three of them. Chances are you are running dangerously lean, your gonna run hot on the track and burn through some oil as well. Longevity wise you would be helping yourself.
I like how great all this sounds but the car is bone stock how it came from the factory down to the factory air filter. The Class I will be running the car in is a "Stock Class" No engine or suspension mods what so ever. This being said I do not think the gain will be that great worth the $595. Im not comparing the power gain between the two cars I just think it crazy how much money you have to spend to tune these cars.

Can someone clearly explain where the added cost comes in besides customer support and R&D?

How are the ECU far more sophisticated?

Let me go into further depth.

2003 track edition Z 6spd
Bone stock not one upgrade not even a car freshener hanging from the mirror

The car will run on

Hoosier R6
245/35/18
275/35/18

PFC 05 compound pads up front on their 2 piece rotors
PFC 01 compounds pads in the rear on stock rotors
Castrol SRF fluid

Royal Purple 10W30 Oil

100-110 octane just cuz it smells good and its damn near the cost of 93 so why not.

Last edited by Alexl08; 04-07-2011 at 10:09 AM.
Old 04-07-2011, 10:20 AM
kartkid

Alex I am not trying to flame you but you come into this forum asking questions that we (well most of us) try to answer for you but you battle
with the answers.

Yes is is not cheap to tune the VQ ecm but there are so many parameters
that can be effected with a tune and this is group of people wish to help steer you for the best way not for you to dump money needlessly.

We all would enjoy free tunes but still you need experience like Vince has I had my FI tuned by a so called expert and after RT Tuning Vince worked it there was a huge night and day difference.

You will far ahead with a up-rev tune against a non tuned Z Just step back and look at what everyone else has to say. Most of us have built up our rides
with out shops but I know of only a few who tune their own and they too use up-rev or cobb.

No matter what good luck and if you find a better way post it up..
Old 04-07-2011, 10:30 AM
Vince@R/TTuning
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree, if its bone stock, still running stock cats especially... you wont have much gains. Maybe the throttle ramping and a slightly higher rev limiter will be beneficial but prob not at the cost perspective.

As far as cost associated, there are alot of things that go into account. Like I said the way Nissan does there ECU's with muliple ROMS for one specific make and model, it takes alot to stay on top of. Look at Cobb, they clearly cracked the code on the ECU and was able to tune them, but there biggest issue was staying on top of the continually changing ECU designs and ROMs that nissan comes out with every year. the 370z is a GEN4 ECU. That means from 2003 to present the have changed the ECU configuration 4 Times, I feel that alone would be a constant work load of R&D

As far as the complication, I'm sure Jared could speak specifics, but these ECUs have multiple Fuel maps, throttle maps, ignition maps, and alot of security protocols that don't allow you to switch ROM files from one ECU to another, and like I said Nissan comes out with hundreds of different ROMS a year.

I guess at the end of the day you can look at how many people are cracking the code and making software for end user tune ability... I only know of one... So it means it either takes alot of money to get it started and do it or its very hard....which in my mind is the same thing....
Old 04-07-2011, 10:30 AM
ImportPartsPro
Vendor - Former Vendor

Actually for $300 you could just send UpRev your ECU for a one time flash.
Old 04-07-2011, 10:49 AM
Alexl08

Originally Posted by kartkid
Alex I am not trying to flame you but you come into this forum asking questions that we (well most of us) try to answer for you but you battle
with the answers.

Yes is is not cheap to tune the VQ ecm but there are so many parameters
that can be effected with a tune and this is group of people wish to help steer you for the best way not for you to dump money needlessly.

We all would enjoy free tunes but still you need experience like Vince has I had my FI tuned by a so called expert and after RT Tuning Vince worked it there was a huge night and day difference.

You will far ahead with a up-rev tune against a non tuned Z Just step back and look at what everyone else has to say. Most of us have built up our rides
with out shops but I know of only a few who tune their own and they too use up-rev or cobb.

No matter what good luck and if you find a better way post it up..

Im not battle Im just trying to see the differences and try to justify the cost.

Originally Posted by Vince@R/TTuning
I agree, if its bone stock, still running stock cats especially... you wont have much gains. Maybe the throttle ramping and a slightly higher rev limiter will be beneficial but prob not at the cost perspective.

As far as cost associated, there are alot of things that go into account. Like I said the way Nissan does there ECU's with muliple ROMS for one specific make and model, it takes alot to stay on top of. Look at Cobb, they clearly cracked the code on the ECU and was able to tune them, but there biggest issue was staying on top of the continually changing ECU designs and ROMs that nissan comes out with every year. the 370z is a GEN4 ECU. That means from 2003 to present the have changed the ECU configuration 4 Times, I feel that alone would be a constant work load of R&D

As far as the complication, I'm sure Jared could speak specifics, but these ECUs have multiple Fuel maps, throttle maps, ignition maps, and alot of security protocols that don't allow you to switch ROM files from one ECU to another, and like I said Nissan comes out with hundreds of different ROMS a year.

I guess at the end of the day you can look at how many people are cracking the code and making software for end user tune ability... I only know of one... So it means it either takes alot of money to get it started and do it or its very hard....which in my mind is the same thing....

Yes all understand able and thank your for your input.

I will have to check that out. Thanks.

----------------------------------------------------

And for everyone else Im not on here to show my A$$ or down the Z and try to make the Evo out to be some god. I wouldnt of bought the Z if I was that die hard. I dont want to get started off on the wrong foot here. But the both cars have there advantages and disadvantages.
Old 04-07-2011, 03:27 PM
djamps

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Even on a BONE STOCK Z (yes, even with the stock airbox and filter which is great IMO), an Uprev dyno tune is by far the most HP per dollar spent. If you count area under the curve which is what really matters and what you feel, it's even more significant.
Old 04-07-2011, 03:40 PM
str8dum1

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

the answer is simple. there is no open source tuning for our car. there is only 1 rom reflasher. they want to make as much money as possible and pay their reverse engineering programmers a good bit of money.

so you pay alot of money for a NA tune.

Like you said, dont waste your money. Have someone bump your timing 2* with a cipher cable and go race. Sell the car and buy something with an open source tuner.
Old 04-07-2011, 08:20 PM
SparkleCityHop
Living in 350Z

Choose only 2 from this list: Fast, Reliable, Cheap

Cheap Solution:
Originally Posted by str8dum1
Like you said, dont waste your money. Have someone bump your timing 2* with a cipher cable and go race. Sell the car and buy something with an open source tuner.
Better Solution:
Best Solution:
Originally Posted by djamps
Even on a BONE STOCK Z (yes, even with the stock airbox and filter which is great IMO), an Uprev dyno tune is by far the most HP per dollar spent. If you count area under the curve which is what really matters and what you feel, it's even more significant.
It comes down to how much benefit do you want for your money? Especially in a class where you can't make other mods, do you want to have an advantage, or do you want to save money. I'm not giving you a hard time about the cost, it's a fair question.

I'm not building my car to be competitive, I'm building it to have fun, so I'm not looking to pay for advantage. However, it sounds like you want to be competitive, but don't want to pay for an advantage in this case that is legal for your class. If a competitor pays for this advantage, are you going to be competitive against him without it? Are you ok with that?
Old 04-08-2011, 04:43 AM
Alexl08

Originally Posted by str8dum1
Sell the car and buy something with an open source tuner.
lol already trying to get rid of me?
Old 04-08-2011, 04:48 AM
Alexl08

Originally Posted by SparkleCityHop

It comes down to how much benefit do you want for your money? Especially in a class where you can't make other mods, do you want to have an advantage, or do you want to save money. I'm not giving you a hard time about the cost, it's a fair question.

I'm not building my car to be competitive, I'm building it to have fun, so I'm not looking to pay for advantage. However, it sounds like you want to be competitive, but don't want to pay for an advantage in this case that is legal for your class. If a competitor pays for this advantage, are you going to be competitive against him without it? Are you ok with that?

I do not believe the money spent will make a beneficial increase for the amount. The $300 to send my ecu may be what I want to look at.

I think my brakes and tires will give me enough of an edge as most of the guys in my class do not look at this kind of stuff. They just look at it from a power aspect.

Ive been racing for a while now and a proper tire and suspension setup with out drive just pure HP. Plus I got a nasty JDM driver mod
Old 04-08-2011, 05:25 AM
rh_334

Which will do near nothing as far as increased power, this is basically the same as getting someone with Cipher to bump the timing, other than a +500rpm rev limit.
Old 04-08-2011, 06:18 AM
Alexl08

Originally Posted by rh_334
Which will do near nothing as far as increased power, this is basically the same as getting someone with Cipher to bump the timing, other than a +500rpm rev limit.

Thats Kinda what I was thinking. I dont think Im going to bother with the ECU.

Let me ask you guys this what could I sell the VQ and 6spd tran for total drivetrain. 60k miles on it
Old 04-08-2011, 06:34 AM
rh_334

Let me ask you guys this what could I sell the VQ and 6spd tran for total drivetrain. 60k miles on it
Since its an 03 Tranny (syncro problems) id say 1200-1500 for engine+tranny
Old 04-08-2011, 07:53 AM
Alexl08

Originally Posted by rh_334
Since its an 03 Tranny (syncro problems) id say 1200-1500 for engine+tranny

Is that why 6th gear grinds I thought it was quite weird for 6th to grind. I thought maybe it was just me not being use to driving a 6 speed like maybe my motion was wrong cuz it only does it if i skip shift it seams
Old 04-08-2011, 08:03 AM
rh_334

Is that why 6th gear grinds I thought it was quite weird for 6th to grind. I thought maybe it was just me not being use to driving a 6 speed like maybe my motion was wrong cuz it only does it if i skip shift it seams
Yep, all the pre-06 trannys are prone to syncro problems, my 5th and 6th grind. If you had a CD0009 (06 tranny) that combo would be worth up to $2k, thats why i mentioned it.

Quick Reply: Reflashing stock ecu or tuning with a plug and play