Notices
Tuning Reflashes, Piggybacks, Standalone ECUs

Uprev or Consult II program of ECU with NATS

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2013, 11:07 AM
mrathell

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Uprev or Consult II program of ECU with NATS

So I changed the ECU in my car and had to have new keys cut.

The ECU is a used one from a totalled car.

The keys were cut but hasn't been programmed.

The car has the NATS system.

I took it to Nissan several times but they haven't been able to program it. One of the times I took it to Nissan, the master tech guy said the Immobilzer ring around the ignition was the last issue, so I changed it.

The last time I took it to Nissan, the master tech guy was on vacation but they let one of the other tech guys try but he only knew how to program keys. So when he attempted to program the keys it failed.

He admitted he wasn't as familar with using the Consult II like the master tech and said he might not of been able to program the keys because the ECU was not programmed (something he didnt know how to do).

The security light blinks with the key off but goes solid with the key in the on position. It cranks but doesn't start.

My question(s) are:

1) In order for Nissan to program my keys, will they have to program the ECU first?

2) If they are able to program the keys without programming the ECU, does that mean I could just have a locksmith with the ability to program the keys do it instead?

3) If I send my ECU to Uprev to remove NATS, would that allow me to start my car 'as-is' with an unprogrammed key?

4) If Uprev remove NATS would that prevent me from passing the emmssions test because the ECU would still have the old VIN?

Last edited by mrathell; 08-16-2013 at 01:55 PM.
Old 08-16-2013, 01:09 PM
Voboy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

3) buy uprev standard, let them know you wanna remove nats... you should get 3 e-tunes as well.
4) no effect on emissions due to no nats.... not sure about ECU and VIN... dont think that matters.
Old 08-17-2013, 12:06 PM
seymore4
Professional

Received 69 Likes on 57 Posts

An uprev reflash is exactly what you need, we can disable nats completely and allow the car to start with unprogrammed keys, different ecu, whatever. It will have absolutely no effect on emissions
Old 08-18-2013, 12:09 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,284 Likes on 1,646 Posts

Uprev is great, I only had 1 key for my car, now I am using a $5 key from my local Ace Hardware. No issues with emissions testing.
Old 08-23-2013, 10:42 AM
Jason Diekman

Default I Can Help

Hey bud I run a small Nissan tuning shop in San Diego.

If you want to send me your ecu, I can reflash the ecu to accept your new keys I just need your VIN and a few other things I can do it for $100 shipped.

I can also add a tune to it for a little more power if you'd like

Just cracked the ecu's code this week and am excited to offer this to people who need help.
Old 08-23-2013, 11:29 AM
seymore4
Professional

Originally Posted by Jason Diekman
Just cracked the ecu's code this week
Oh really?
Old 09-03-2013, 12:34 PM
Jason Diekman

Originally Posted by mrathell
So I changed the ECU in my car and had to have new keys cut.

The ECU is a used one from a totalled car.

The keys were cut but hasn't been programmed.

The car has the NATS system.

I took it to Nissan several times but they haven't been able to program it. One of the times I took it to Nissan, the master tech guy said the Immobilzer ring around the ignition was the last issue, so I changed it.

The last time I took it to Nissan, the master tech guy was on vacation but they let one of the other tech guys try but he only knew how to program keys. So when he attempted to program the keys it failed.

He admitted he wasn't as familar with using the Consult II like the master tech and said he might not of been able to program the keys because the ECU was not programmed (something he didnt know how to do).

The security light blinks with the key off but goes solid with the key in the on position. It cranks but doesn't start.

My question(s) are:

1) In order for Nissan to program my keys, will they have to program the ECU first?

2) If they are able to program the keys without programming the ECU, does that mean I could just have a locksmith with the ability to program the keys do it instead?

3) If I send my ECU to Uprev to remove NATS, would that allow me to start my car 'as-is' with an unprogrammed key?

4) If Uprev remove NATS would that prevent me from passing the emmssions test because the ECU would still have the old VIN?
You need to marry the ECU/BCM together to the new keys. If you have a security light that is staying on when ignition is on, thats a NATS error due to a unidentified key.

Any locksmith with the proper equipment can do it.

If you'd like , send me a picture of your BCM theres a HEX code at the bottom of it that I can decrypt into a PIN needed to marry the new keys to ECU/BCM

Just take a pic and i'll do the rest. Find a locksmith explain you have the pin to do it and im sure they'll be able to do it. You can tell the locksmith the NATS 2/3/4 Programmer that uses default pin 5523 will work to program your car after I give you the new pin.

Hope this helps Just PM me your a pic of BCM cover if you'd like me to send you pin, no charge.

OR you can send the ecu in to me. But save your money unless you want to tune it. No need to spend $$$ On buying a cable and Etune anymore.

Jason

Last edited by Jason Diekman; 09-03-2013 at 12:41 PM.
Old 09-03-2013, 02:22 PM
mrathell

Unfortunately after several trips to NISSAN they we unable to program it.

The security light does stay lite after the key is put in the ON position and turns over but thats it.

I changed the ignition switch and immobizer with no luck.

So now it seems as though i have to disable the NATS.

Im not looking to tune it, i just want the NATS disabled so I can start it for the car.

Last edited by mrathell; 09-03-2013 at 02:40 PM.
Old 09-04-2013, 04:06 PM
Jason Diekman

Originally Posted by mrathell
Unfortunately after several trips to NISSAN they we unable to program it.

The security light does stay lite after the key is put in the ON position and turns over but thats it.

I changed the ignition switch and immobizer with no luck.

So now it seems as though i have to disable the NATS.

Im not looking to tune it, i just want the NATS disabled so I can start it for the car.
We will figure it out as soon as your ECU arrives
Old 09-04-2013, 09:09 PM
seymore4
Professional

Well good luck with that
Old 08-14-2017, 09:34 AM
mike99101

You need to marry the ECU/BCM together to the new keys. If you have a security light that is staying on when ignition is on, thats a NATS error due to a unidentified key.

Any locksmith with the proper equipment can do it.

If you'd like , send me a picture of your BCM theres a HEX code at the bottom of it that I can decrypt into a PIN needed to marry the new keys to ECU/BCM

Just take a pic and i'll do the rest. Find a locksmith explain you have the pin to do it and im sure they'll be able to do it. You can tell the locksmith the NATS 2/3/4 Programmer that uses default pin 5523 will work to program your car after I give you the new pin.

Jason, can you help me out brotha? I'm having a similar issue

Hope this helps Just PM me your a pic of BCM cover if you'd like me to send you pin, no charge.

OR you can send the ecu in to me. But save your money unless you want to tune it. No need to spend $$$ On buying a cable and Etune anymore.

Jason
can you help me out brotha? I'm having similar issues
Old 07-13-2018, 04:03 PM
deletedalien

Hey bud I run a small Nissan tuning shop in San Diego.

If you want to send me your ecu, I can reflash the ecu to accept your new keys I just need your VIN and a few other things I can do it for $100 shipped.

I can also add a tune to it for a little more power if you'd like

Just cracked the ecu's code this week and am excited to offer this to people who need help.

hi there,

do u do NATS removal?

how much?
Old 07-13-2018, 05:54 PM
Uncle 'B'

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

It might be worth noting that Jason Diekman's post was made 5 years ago and he hasn't been on the site in the last 3 years... Just sayin.

Last edited by Uncle 'B'; 07-13-2018 at 06:03 PM.
Old 08-24-2018, 08:27 PM
M-train

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by seymore4
An uprev reflash is exactly what you need, we can disable nats completely and allow the car to start with unprogrammed keys, different ecu, whatever. It will have absolutely no effect on emissions
I have a question.

Lets say you have the Uprev, and have it programed to remove/disable the NATS. You ecm goes bad, so you buy another used ecm, can you program that used ecm to work on your vehicle using Uprev with out having to take the car to the dealership?

I went through this a few months ago, and ended up giving the dealership $300 for what turned out to be two bad used ecms. Of course there is no way to know the used ecm is bad until you pay the $150 to the dealership, which can add up pretty fast if you have to try several used ecms to find a good ecm.

When this current ecm decides to go bad, I would love to be able to just buy a used ecm, disable the VATS myself, and not have to go to the dealerShits to pay $150 just to find out the used ecm is bad.

Of course I just thought about something with Uprevs stupid license, I would bet you would have to buy a new license for the new/used ecm, correct. If that is so, then it wouldn't save any money as you would have to buy a new license for each ecm you tried. Correct?

Last edited by M-train; 08-24-2018 at 08:31 PM.
Old 08-24-2018, 09:29 PM
seymore4
Professional

Originally Posted by M-train
Lets say you have the Uprev, and have it programed to remove/disable the NATS. You ecm goes bad, so you buy another used ecm, can you program that used ecm to work on your vehicle using Uprev with out having to take the car to the dealership?
Yes, however every ECU you flash requires an Uprev license. If the first ECU died and you were not able to flash it back to stock then you would need a new license for the second ECU. As long as you bought the Uprev kit through a authorized dealer you can get a replacement license in this situation at no charge. Just takes a little communication back and forth. They've done it for me many times.

just thought about something with Uprevs stupid license,
Feel free to hire a bunch of software engineers and reverse engineer the code to Nissan's Hitachi ECU's so you can disable NATS yourself whenever you need to if you feel Uprev's licensing system is a burden.

Last edited by seymore4; 08-24-2018 at 09:30 PM.
Old 08-24-2018, 11:53 PM
bad boyz

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Hey, Semore I have a question just want to borrow some of your advice,I have a na 2006 350Z mods are(spacer,mrev,jwt pop-charger,hfc,motordyne mid pipe,magnaflow exhaust) ready for a tune I talked to one of the techs at Dynosty in Kentucky about getting a tune he said about 700.00 but the backlog is until Oct. I don't mind going to Uprev and purchasing a cable and the license from them is there any such as a remote tune without having a dyno?Or can you tell me are there some more options,this is also my daily driver,I appreciate any light you can shine on this situation Thanks!!!
Old 08-25-2018, 08:53 AM
seymore4
Professional

Originally Posted by bad boyz
Hey, Semore I have a question just want to borrow some of your advice,I have a na 2006 350Z mods are(spacer,mrev,jwt pop-charger,hfc,motordyne mid pipe,magnaflow exhaust) ready for a tune I talked to one of the techs at Dynosty in Kentucky about getting a tune he said about 700.00 but the backlog is until Oct. I don't mind going to Uprev and purchasing a cable and the license from them is there any such as a remote tune without having a dyno?Or can you tell me are there some more options,this is also my daily driver,I appreciate any light you can shine on this situation Thanks!!!
Yes a remote tune (etune) is a viable option, and you'll save some money. I'll PM ya
Old 08-25-2018, 05:29 PM
M-train

[QUOTE=seymore4;10969528]Yes, however every ECU you flash requires an Uprev license. If the first ECU died and you were not able to flash it back to stock then you would need a new license for the second ECU. As long as you bought the Uprev kit through a authorized dealer you can get a replacement license in this situation at no charge. Just takes a little communication back and forth. They've done it for me many times.

I didn't know that, thanks for the info.

So, if I'm understanding you correctly, if I buy an Uprev directly from Uprev, and install it on my current ecu, and sometime in the future that ecu dies, I can still use my Uprev with a new/used ecu without having to pay anything?

Also, would I still have to take the new/used ecu to the dealership for a reflash, before I could drive my car?

Sorry for all of the questions, just want to make sure I understand, as I hate having to take my car to the dealership, after an ecu swap. Since my car is modded, and runs great, I would still get the scrutiny from the techs that my nitrous setup is what caused xxxx problem with the ecu [it did happen when my ecu went out I bought a used ecu, and took my car to the dealership, where the shop foreman there said my problem was the nitrous setup. He was referring to my adjustable fuel regulator, fuel gauge, and PCV catch can].

Old 08-25-2018, 05:59 PM
seymore4
Professional

if I buy an Uprev directly from Uprev, and install it on my current ecu, and sometime in the future that ecu dies, I can still use my Uprev with a new/used ecu without having to pay anything?
You would have to get replacement license before you could flash the new ECU.

would I still have to take the new/used ecu to the dealership for a reflash, before I could drive my car?
No, but you would have to flash it with a NATS disabled rom before you could use it.
Old 08-25-2018, 07:46 PM
M-train

Originally Posted by seymore4
You would have to get replacement license before you could flash the new ECU.

No, but you would have to flash it with a NATS disabled rom before you could use it.
Sorry, but I'm not understanding what you mean when you say flash it with a NATS disabled rom? And, when you say flash it, I'm assuming you mean with the Uprev, correct? ......thanks.

Last edited by M-train; 08-25-2018 at 08:06 PM.

Quick Reply: Uprev or Consult II program of ECU with NATS