Notices
Tuning Reflashes, Piggybacks, Standalone ECUs

Uprev or Stand alone ECU

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2017, 11:35 AM
rhymes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Uprev or Stand alone ECU

hey guys. I know there have been several posts in regards to this topic but the threads seem to get quite diluted and off topic after a few replys.

Here is the question. I have an 05 350z with manual transmission, built engine with a twin turbo set up. I am currently running the stock ecu that has been tuned using Uprev. Overall the car runs well except for periodic stalling on decel, slight variation on idle when warm, periodic stumbles, etc. I know the stock ecu doesn't have built in tables for boost which the stand alones do. Having over boost protection would be nice and this can be achieved with a good boost controller.

Is there a real real benefit to switching to a stand alone over Uprev? Am I going to loose the drivability of the car? How much time is going to be needed on the dyno to fully tune say a Haltech?

Also saw that Vipec now has a plug n play for the 350z. Has anybody tried this ecu? I see it has an auto tune option. Is this a better option then the Haltech?

some insight from you guys would be great.
Old 08-27-2017, 02:06 PM
Conway_160

Received 341 Likes on 280 Posts

What you have with your uprev is what you get, with a full standalone you can get boost by gear, a better traction control system, and flex fuel just to mention a few.
The following users liked this post:
rhymes (08-28-2017)
Old 08-28-2017, 01:00 AM
wizard

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

If money was no object I would go Syvecs standalone for sure. It has the best control.

How much power are you running and are you using uprev's maf to tune the car?
Old 08-28-2017, 08:36 AM
rhymes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Wizard, I've got about 460 rwhp. Yes I do have the Uprev GT Maf. I had never heard of Syvecs before. Looked online and it does seem like a very sweet ECU. It looks like it might be a bit overkill for a daily driver and the occasional track day. Also don't have a local tuner that has any experience with this system. Do you know if it utilizes all the stock sensors?
Old 08-28-2017, 01:34 PM
BluestreamDE

Received 289 Likes on 232 Posts

If I could choose again id go standalone Haltech. You can get em used for 1000-1500 if your lucky.
Old 08-29-2017, 05:17 AM
wizard

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I believe you can run the syvecs with stock sensors. Would need to use a map sensor instead if the maf sensor.
You're pretty much exactly where I am - have same bhp and use uprev maf. From my research it looks like it will get tricky above 550whp. I spoke to Uprev and they said that's all their sensor is rated to and have not yet offered an alternative. I know PMAS is one other people use, but my tuner does not like tuning that due to inconsistency.
Only advice I can give is go with what your tuner is comfortable tuning. Link is another alternative but sort of a piggyback so not as clean.

Originally Posted by rhymes
Thanks Wizard, I've got about 460 rwhp. Yes I do have the Uprev GT Maf. I had never heard of Syvecs before. Looked online and it does seem like a very sweet ECU. It looks like it might be a bit overkill for a daily driver and the occasional track day. Also don't have a local tuner that has any experience with this system. Do you know if it utilizes all the stock sensors?

Last edited by wizard; 08-29-2017 at 05:18 AM.
Old 09-03-2017, 09:02 AM
andybp

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

The link g4+ ecu is a standalone ecu not a piggyback this is what i'm using on my ITB setup https://www.350z-uk.com/topic/113891...rottle-bodies/
very flexible, software is easy to use and comes with base maps,has a 4 Bar map sensor built in and comes as a plug in no wiring needed the only thing you have to do is remove the Die cast base from your stock Ecu and fit it to the link one support is also pretty good

Originally Posted by wizard
I believe you can run the syvecs with stock sensors. Would need to use a map sensor instead if the maf sensor.
You're pretty much exactly where I am - have same bhp and use uprev maf. From my research it looks like it will get tricky above 550whp. I spoke to Uprev and they said that's all their sensor is rated to and have not yet offered an alternative. I know PMAS is one other people use, but my tuner does not like tuning that due to inconsistency.
Only advice I can give is go with what your tuner is comfortable tuning. Link is another alternative but sort of a piggyback so not as clean.

Last edited by andybp; 09-03-2017 at 09:03 AM.
Old 09-04-2017, 08:46 AM
bealljk
350Z-holic

Received 1,282 Likes on 1,007 Posts

IMO Link G4+ is the best out there if you ask me. AEM's Infinity and Haltech's is pretty good...do you have emissions requirements where you live? A (new/used) Haltech with dual wideband controllers, a boost control solenoid, and a laptop would give you everything you need...