Notices
Tuning Reflashes, Piggybacks, Standalone ECUs

UpRev Interface Dongle lifespan.

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2017, 12:34 PM
BluestreamDE

Received 289 Likes on 232 Posts
Default UpRev Interface Dongle lifespan.

Hello all. So my Z is near completion and my shop guy was trying to start to tune the car by connecting his laptop to the ODBII port with my Uprev dongle. Apparently he has had issues and is unable to connect to the ECU. This is the email he sent me.

"Good afternoon,

I have spent the last 2 days trying to get the UpRev cable to connect on 3 different laptops. I called UpRev and James diligently helped me by checking to make sure everything in time viewer was correct and came to the conclusion that the dongle is no longer good. They did say if the cable is over a year old you will need to purchase another one. Thank you"

Has anyone run into a simular issue or can confirm that if your dongle is a year old that it needs replacing? This is the 1st time hearing such a thing, because I have read threads with folks that have the 1st design dongle that was one piece instead of the new micro USB dongle that I have and it still works for them. And being deployed atm I am limited to making calls stateside.

I bought a new dongle anyway but would like to know if this is by design or this may be negligence by my shop not handling the dongle properly. Thanks all.
Old 09-15-2017, 04:39 PM
coletrickle74

Received 86 Likes on 60 Posts

I have the micro USB one as well. I'm the only one who handled it and it only connects if you hold it s certain way. Only used it a few times. Cheap *** construction and materials if I had to guess.
Old 09-17-2017, 09:47 PM
BluestreamDE

It's just a pain to pay another 250 shipped payment on something I already paid for. I think it's just this version that is maybe more fragile, idk.

Yea it worked fine when I was home when I tuned and data logged on my own. Can't really do much till I'm back home on from deployment so I gotta rely on this shop to tune the car for me, so whatever they say is a problem, I just have to accept and deal with it without checking myself.
Old 09-18-2017, 04:58 AM
Cux350z
hatersgonnahate

Received 956 Likes on 721 Posts

of course sUckRev would make you buy another. Greedy ***** sell licenses (they can produce unlimited licenses and each one is pure profit) and cheap cables for HIGH margins.

For the amount of money you have in it, you should have gone with a Haltech. More capable system.
Old 09-18-2017, 05:58 AM
BluestreamDE

Originally Posted by Cux350z
..For the amount of money you have in it, you should have gone with a Haltech. More capable system.
This is true. I'm considering a standalone in the future. I am just suprised at the quality of the newer designed tuner cable/dongle is subpar in that it last less than a year apparently.
Old 09-18-2017, 07:51 AM
seymore4
Professional

Received 69 Likes on 57 Posts

It is true Uprev only warranties them for a year. I have a couple that are at least 5 years old that still work fine; I've also seen some fail at random times.

I do know that if you interrupt it during a firmware update that it will fry the chip, lost one that way.
The following users liked this post:
KingBaby (09-18-2017)
Old 09-18-2017, 08:51 AM
BluestreamDE

I see. Well, If it fried during an update that would be the shops fault, not me. And unfortunately they won't take responsibility for it.
Old 09-18-2017, 09:07 AM
CK_32

Received 366 Likes on 315 Posts

Mine works fine. No issues here and it throw it around all over the place.

After reading this I think I might stop and be more careful.
Old 09-18-2017, 10:04 AM
seymore4
Professional

Received 69 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by BluestreamDE
I see. Well, If it fried during an update that would be the shops fault, not me. And unfortunately they won't take responsibility for it.
Unfortunately there's no way to know how/why/what caused it to fail.. so you're pretty much SOL

If they didn't already I would recommend trying a different USB cable with the dongle, they are generic and have been known to fail
Old 09-18-2017, 08:46 PM
OldManZ350

Received 228 Likes on 168 Posts

Mine is 9 years old, just used it today. No Problems
Old 09-21-2017, 11:28 PM
BluestreamDE

Originally Posted by OldManZ350
Mine is 9 years old, just used it today. No Problems
Do you have the 1st Gen cable that's all one piece with the cable and dongle? Or the one with the dongle and cable seperate?

Anyways the new dongle was delivered to my house. A year from now I will have the same issue probably. By then I hope to have moved on to Haltech.