Notices
Vendor Group Buys Special volume discounts from our sponsors.

GB: DO-LUCK Replica kit

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2006, 05:47 AM
Havok_RLS2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by trescincuenta
How much harder is it for a bodyshop to paint ABS vs fiberglass?
I'm not a painter but I think more flex additive is required and I'm not sure what typr if primer is used but I'm told it's different due to the poor bonding qualities of most paints on ABS.
Not to mention that ABS tend to sag and warp when exposed to heat over time. When ABS is damaged in a collision it tend to crack or rip. Try to repair ABS with bondo? Ummmm.... NO. At least FRP is easier to repair and maintain.

Again... JMHO.
Old 08-21-2006, 06:59 AM
twentyinrims

I don't really think there is that much of a difference but catch a rock or a little fender bender and bye bye FRP bumper.
Old 08-21-2006, 07:01 AM
twentyinrims

Can you add me to the list now so I can feel special during my 3 month wait :-)
Old 08-21-2006, 07:08 AM
Havok_RLS2

Originally Posted by twentyinrims
I don't really think there is that much of a difference but catch a rock or a little fender bender and bye bye FRP bumper.
Like I said.. JMHO.
Old 08-21-2006, 07:43 AM
twentyinrims

If FRP was the best tyep of material to make bumpers out of wouldn't all cars be made out of it. I think it might be lighter and I know its cheaper but ABS is the way to go. The reason for FRP vs ABS is due to the weitght and its easy to make.
Old 08-21-2006, 08:04 AM
Havok_RLS2

If FRP was the best tyep of material to make bumpers out of wouldn't all cars be made out of it. I think it might be lighter and I know its cheaper but ABS is the way to go. The reason for FRP vs ABS is due to the weitght and its easy to make.
I'm sorry... Please explain to us what you think F.R.P stands for? FRP is not straight fiberglass nor should it be confused as such.

F.R.P (Fiber reinforced (sp?) "Plastic") is just that..... Plastic with fiberglass in it. Yes.... it's lighter. Yes... It's cheaper.... Yes... It's more flexible than plain ol fiberglass. Yes.... It's easier to maintain and repair than ABS.

Now we can fight all day over the subject or you can just respect the my opinion is different than yours and be done with it. Bottom line is that I'm right and you're more than welcome to be wrong. Good day sir.
Old 08-21-2006, 08:35 AM
twentyinrims

Ahh, I see, you call it fight. Why, somebody tell me why is it that guys like this get all sensitive about just kicking it on the forums. Dude, relax and don't take it so personal.
Old 08-21-2006, 10:07 AM
Havok_RLS2

Ahh, I see, you call it fight. Why, somebody tell me why is it that guys like this get all sensitive about just kicking it on the forums. Dude, relax and don't take it so personal.
Old 08-21-2006, 10:19 AM
350Zstyle
Vendor - Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Havok_RLS2
I'd personally like to see the front bumper made from FRP for the sake of body work and paint prep. FRP is easier to repair if damaged. IMHO.

Cheaper too.

I think abs and urethane are both cheaper to prep than fiberglass. I dont think there is anything worse than fiberglass as far as prepping and painting
Old 08-21-2006, 10:31 AM
350Zstyle
Vendor - Former Vendor

I'm not a painter but I think more flex additive is required and I'm not sure what typr if primer is used but I'm told it's different due to the poor bonding qualities of most paints on ABS.
Not to mention that ABS tend to sag and warp when exposed to heat over time. When ABS is damaged in a collision it tend to crack or rip. Try to repair ABS with bondo? Ummmm.... NO. At least FRP is easier to repair and maintain.

Again... JMHO.
The body shop i take the kits to paint hates fiberglass, too much prep time. They prefer urethane and abs cuz they are alot smoother to work with, which requires less time. Some body shop might not even care about the preping and will just sand, primer and paint. Although it might pass unotice with white or light color it will definitely show in the darker color where waves occurs.

Also, this is just my guess, abs and eurethane are both "blow" mold which are injected and frp are hand laid..

the hardest part of doing a abs bumper is the molding process. Unlike frp, abs gets heated up during the process and once they part is dry they tend to shrink. The reason abs mold are longer is to prevent this from happening. I dont know the details to it but the process is longer.

As for quality, it is alot durable and flexible then frp. As Havok_RLS2 had said, if you get in a collision abs might crack or slit; however, with the same force of collision frp might have been shatter or wont be able to fix. We all kno how frp will not withstand any collision. Assuming its for daily driving going out and in from driveway, abs will probably last a lot longer than frp.
Old 08-21-2006, 10:37 AM
350Zstyle
Vendor - Former Vendor

The reason why frp is widely used in the aftermarket is because its cheaper to make and less requires less quantity. And also it is less likely to sustain in any collision. As for weight wise, they aer about the same, maybe a little heavier than abs plastic or urethane.

The best material on the market is probably eurethane or PP (something propeh....lain) sorry i just dont know the word for it. PP is very similar to eurethane. In fact its more like OEM material. they are flexible and durable. However, downside is the molding cost is very high therefore requiring a high volume production in order to cover cost. That is why my friend, car company uses those material. They have a high volume production and not to mention its cheaper than fiberglass to produce once expense is covered.
Old 08-21-2006, 10:38 AM
350Zstyle
Vendor - Former Vendor

Deposit List:
1.HKS350z
2.tranl600
3.twentyinrims
Old 08-21-2006, 11:12 AM
trescincuenta

4. trescincuenta (sides and potentially rear)
Old 08-21-2006, 11:13 AM
trescincuenta

disregard that last post i saw that the list was for deposits, sorry, erase it please it wont let me edit it
Old 08-21-2006, 11:19 AM
350Zstyle
Vendor - Former Vendor

Originally Posted by trescincuenta
disregard that last post i saw that the list was for deposits, sorry, erase it please it wont let me edit it

what are u waiting for?? send it in..hehe
Old 08-21-2006, 12:39 PM
twentyinrims

I'm sorry... Please explain to us what you think F.R.P stands for? FRP is not straight fiberglass nor should it be confused as such.

F.R.P (Fiber reinforced (sp?) "Plastic") is just that..... Plastic with fiberglass in it. Yes.... it's lighter. Yes... It's cheaper.... Yes... It's more flexible than plain ol fiberglass. Yes.... It's easier to maintain and repair than ABS.

Now we can fight all day over the subject or you can just respect the my opinion is different than yours and be done with it. Bottom line is that I'm right and you're more than welcome to be wrong. Good day sir.
Now, you can read on to learn a little something or just stop posting, it's not healthy to get sensitive, and I am not impressed you know what F.R.P stands for.
Old 08-21-2006, 12:40 PM
twentyinrims

PROPS TO 350ZSTYLE, Thanks for clearing that up!!! Looking foward to getting that Bumper.
Old 08-22-2006, 03:48 AM
Havok_RLS2

Originally Posted by 350Zstyle
The body shop i take the kits to paint hates fiberglass, too much prep time. They prefer urethane and abs cuz they are alot smoother to work with, which requires less time. Some body shop might not even care about the preping and will just sand, primer and paint. Although it might pass unotice with white or light color it will definitely show in the darker color where waves occurs.

Also, this is just my guess, abs and eurethane are both "blow" mold which are injected and frp are hand laid..

the hardest part of doing a abs bumper is the molding process. Unlike frp, abs gets heated up during the process and once they part is dry they tend to shrink. The reason abs mold are longer is to prevent this from happening. I dont know the details to it but the process is longer.

As for quality, it is alot durable and flexible then frp. As Havok_RLS2 had said, if you get in a collision abs might crack or slit; however, with the same force of collision frp might have been shatter or wont be able to fix. We all kno how frp will not withstand any collision. Assuming its for daily driving going out and in from driveway, abs will probably last a lot longer than frp.

Who's gonna argue with that?? I guess I'm wrong.... And yet, somehow I'm okay with that. That world didn't end and today dawns a new. I guess I'm human after all.

Thanks for the correction 350style.
Old 08-22-2006, 03:54 AM
Havok_RLS2

Now, you can read on to learn a little something or just stop posting, it's not healthy to get sensitive, and I am not impressed you know what F.R.P stands for.

Hows that for "sensitive"? Impressed yet?
Old 08-22-2006, 07:01 AM
trescincuenta

LoL cmon guys stop bickering over this its silly. Everyone now knows the benefits of ABS... lets move on

Quick Reply: GB: DO-LUCK Replica kit