Notices
Videos View/post video clips of the Z/G35 here.

My 350z at High Plains Raceway

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2010, 07:32 PM
WestonP

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My 350z at High Plains Raceway

Here's some video from my 350z at the NASA event last Saturday at High Plains Raceway (Denver area), showing my best two laps while chasing an orange 350z...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wmNa-8Vgx88

It was a hot day and I was fighting boiling brake fluid (and power steering fluid), but was happy to see a 2:10.662 followed by a 2:10.674 (quick times for this track), and I think it still has more potential...

Looking at my Traqmate data, my nearly-stock 350z street car on Nitto NT-01's (same as Toyo RA-1's, but with a reasonable price) was cornering at the same speeds and G-forces as my Porsche 944-Spec race car on RA-1's, and I got the same results when comparing it against a different front-running 944-Spec car. That's pretty impressive, seeing as how the 944's are 700lbs lighter, race-prepped, and one of the faster cornering production cars. Tighter tracks could be a different story, and HPR's weird camber may play a role here, but I was definitely amazed at how nearly-identical the cornering data was at HPR. The Z should make a pretty good race car when the time comes. I'm anxious to compare the Z at Pueblo, since I have a lot of 944 experience and Traqmate data there...

Last edited by WestonP; 08-25-2010 at 07:38 PM.
Old 08-25-2010, 07:53 PM
Ruthless18x

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by WestonP
Here's some video from my 350z at the NASA event last Saturday at High Plains Raceway (Denver area), showing my best two laps while chasing an orange 350z...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wmNa-8Vgx88

It was a hot day and I was fighting boiling brake fluid (and power steering fluid), but was happy to see a 2:10.662 followed by a 2:10.674 (quick times for this track), and I think it still has more potential...

Looking at my Traqmate data, my nearly-stock 350z street car on Nitto NT-01's (same as Toyo RA-1's, but with a reasonable price) was cornering at the same speeds and G-forces as my Porsche 944-Spec race car on RA-1's, and I got the same results when comparing it against a different front-running 944-Spec car. That's pretty impressive, seeing as how the 944's are 700lbs lighter, race-prepped, and one of the faster cornering production cars. Tighter tracks could be a different story, and HPR's weird camber may play a role here, but I was definitely amazed at how nearly-identical the cornering data was at HPR. The Z should make a pretty good race car when the time comes. I'm anxious to compare the Z at Pueblo, since I have a lot of 944 experience and Traqmate data there...
That's awesome man! Are you still in an HDPE class or do you have your comp license?

My goal was to have my car done by the Pueblo event in October but looks like I won't be ready until next season
Old 08-25-2010, 08:18 PM
WestonP

Originally Posted by Ruthless18x
That's awesome man! Are you still in an HDPE class or do you have your comp license?

My goal was to have my car done by the Pueblo event in October but looks like I won't be ready until next season
Thanks! I have my comp license and have been racing wheel-to-wheel in 944-Spec since it started here at the beginning of '07. I've just been running my Z in Time Trials while I get my race car ready for NASA Nationals at Miller next month.
Old 08-26-2010, 11:21 AM
Ruthless18x

Sweet! How long did it take you to get your comp license? Is it possible to get it knocked out in a year, or do you even need it for time trials?

Last edited by Ruthless18x; 08-26-2010 at 11:25 AM.
Old 08-26-2010, 12:31 PM
Waiz
Premier Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Nice driving and cool vid!!
Old 08-26-2010, 03:05 PM
WestonP

Originally Posted by Ruthless18x
Sweet! How long did it take you to get your comp license? Is it possible to get it knocked out in a year, or do you even need it for time trials?
I spent a few years doing Time Trials with SCCA, and then NASA, so getting a provisional competition license was fairly easy from that point... it was mostly a matter of having a race-legal car and safety equipment. I also opted to do NASA's comp license school, which provides a bit of practice and familiarity before you're thrown to the wolves in your first wheel-to-wheel race.

A license is also needed for Time Trials with NASA, but it's a bit easier to get than a comp license... The TT program is basically a small step above HPDE 4, and is usually run during the same track session. One season is a reasonable time frame to earn a TT or provisional competition license for most people. The progression is basically as follows...

HPDE 1: Drivers with little to no previous track experience. An instructor will be provided and a lot of progress can be made if you're open to learning. No driving on the curbing or following closely; passing is restricted to designated zones, and only with a point-by.

HPDE 2: Same run group and rules as HPDE 1, but the instructor is optional.

HPDE 3: Runs in its own group with somewhat experienced drivers and somewhat relaxed passing and driving rules. There are sometimes advanced driving exercises and instruction, and you may be able to take a passenger if you get the group leader's permission.

HPDE 4: Advanced driver group, even less restrictions, a passenger is allowed, and passing is allowed anywhere with or without a point-by as long as it's done safely (situational awareness and track traffic skills are required here). Instructors also get their track time in this group.

Time Trials: Same run group and rules as HPDE 4, but with timed competition and requires a TT license or competition license.

Competition License School: Intended for HPDE 4 / TT drivers and some advanced HPDE 3 drivers. Requires a race-legal car and safety gear, and is only offered at certain events. Successful completion grants you a provisional competition license. To pass, they're looking for the ability to drive at speed off-line (such as side-by-side with another car), handle surprises, know the rules, and have the ambition to make a pass when there's an opening. In other words, learn the racing rules in the GCR, and don't just hang back and take it easy.

Last edited by WestonP; 08-26-2010 at 03:08 PM.
Old 08-26-2010, 03:31 PM
Ruthless18x

Great breakdown. Thanks man!