Notices
VQ35HR Mods and Support related to the 2007/08 High Revving VQ

Test Pipes or HFC

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2008, 03:35 PM
Tomek350Z

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Test Pipes or HFC

ok i was looking at BERK test pipes and HFC and was wondering which was better in terms of power....and most importatnly in sound......becuase the price difference is 249 to 474 which is a lot.......and i test pipes are illegal and HFC arent correct
Old 01-19-2008, 03:50 PM
capnstabn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I had the same question I ended up getting fast intentions reasonated test pipes. They did not change the sound of my current exhaust by much.
Old 01-20-2008, 10:48 AM
robertsowka

test pipes give you more power, only a little more than HFC's. test pipes are supposed to be more raspy than hfc's but i have heard them both and sometimes hfc's are just as raspy if not worse than test pipes... it depends where you live if they are illegal or not, in cali i heard its 1500 dollar fine if you dont have cats.
Old 01-20-2008, 11:01 AM
Heps

Originally Posted by robertsowka
test pipes give you more power, only a little more than HFC's. test pipes are supposed to be more raspy than hfc's but i have heard them both and sometimes hfc's are just as raspy if not worse than test pipes... it depends where you live if they are illegal or not, in cali i heard its 1500 dollar fine if you dont have cats.

What Hfc's have you heard to give alot of rasp and if not more rasp then test pipes? I seriously would like to know, as I want Hfcs not test pipes.
Old 01-20-2008, 12:22 PM
shadykilla717

I never heard of HFC's being raspy....
Old 01-20-2008, 01:49 PM
singh

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm also looking for quality resonated test pipes for my 07. I found Fast Intentions but those people are pricing their test pipes close to $400.

Some companies are going overboard with their profit margins.
Old 01-20-2008, 01:53 PM
Q45tech

Federal violation of Clean Air Acts IS illegal in every state however many states don't enforce.
However if you turn yourself into EPA they might fine you $10,000 or confiscate vehicle until you pay for restoration to oem.

It is also illegal to replace oem cats when they are in emission warranty. Shops must store and produce old defective cats or face fines.

The point is why would anyone pay to replace GOOD cats while still in warranty. Obviously trying to break law.

Where many get in trouble is selling an illegally modified vehicle that end up in a state which does enforce rules. The new owner fails and finds moded cats or pipes and other things the state then helps him track down the previous owner and helps sue the person who made the illegal mods to help current owner pay for rehabilitation.

AS IS does not protect you from emission fraud [the act of selling a modded car with a fradulent emission certificate]. Presenting a KNOWN modded car for emissions is attemped fraud, then fraud if it passes and you get a certificate.

Lying to the FEDS.

Last edited by Q45tech; 01-20-2008 at 02:20 PM.
Old 01-20-2008, 06:16 PM
gti2urbo

my main concern is the smell of TP. i've read that it can be pretty bad. i don't want to smell like i just got done riding a motorcycle every time i get out of the car. anyone have any thoughts on this?
Old 01-21-2008, 08:55 AM
Datona Jess

I had them on my 06 and the smell is negligable
I never really notice it, and nor does anyone else really.
I always just had some cologne in the car in case.

The power is more, and I never really heard the "rasp" on my car.
Watch out for those laws though, you can get in BIG trouble
Old 01-21-2008, 09:29 AM
reserved

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Datona Jess
I always just had some cologne in the car in case.
Old 01-21-2008, 09:41 AM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I had high-flow catalytic converters then switched them out for test pipes. Could have saved $400 by installing test pipes in the first place.
Old 01-21-2008, 10:34 AM
singh

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^^

I think we should create a sticky, "Pictures of davidv's exhaust components."
Old 01-22-2008, 01:01 PM
Tomek350Z

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

why did you end up getting test pipes....? what was wrong with the HFC
Old 01-22-2008, 02:52 PM
bboypuertoroc

Received 2,446 Likes on 1,768 Posts

Originally Posted by Q45tech
Federal violation of Clean Air Acts IS illegal in every state however many states don't enforce.
However if you turn yourself into EPA they might fine you $10,000 or confiscate vehicle until you pay for restoration to oem.

It is also illegal to replace oem cats when they are in emission warranty. Shops must store and produce old defective cats or face fines.

The point is why would anyone pay to replace GOOD cats while still in warranty. Obviously trying to break law.

Where many get in trouble is selling an illegally modified vehicle that end up in a state which does enforce rules. The new owner fails and finds moded cats or pipes and other things the state then helps him track down the previous owner and helps sue the person who made the illegal mods to help current owner pay for rehabilitation.

AS IS does not protect you from emission fraud [the act of selling a modded car with a fradulent emission certificate]. Presenting a KNOWN modded car for emissions is attemped fraud, then fraud if it passes and you get a certificate.

Lying to the FEDS.
Who pee'd in your Cheerios this morning?

Get the test ppes for more power, get the HFCs for more power than stock and less sound/power than test pipes.
Old 01-31-2008, 10:30 PM
WyattH

How do resonated TPs sound compared to HFC?
And what's the difference between Ceramic and Metallic HFC?
The Berk Ceramic HFC is priced just less than the Fast Intentions resonated TPs. Hm.
Old 01-31-2008, 10:40 PM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Tomek350Z
why did you end up getting test pipes....? what was wrong with the HFC
After 22,600 miles one of the Kinetix HFCs developed a terrible rattle inside. It was embarrassing to drive. So I decided on an empty pipe. Nothing inside - nothing to fall apart.
Old 01-31-2008, 10:50 PM
WyattH

Originally Posted by davidv
After 22,600 miles one of the Kinetix HFCs developed a terrible rattle inside. It was embarrassing to drive. So I decided on an empty pipe. Nothing inside - nothing to fall apart.
Which HFC did you have? That shouldn't have happened.. Bizarre.
Well, rattle, or rasp? Pick your weapon.

To me it's either FI Res Test Pipes or Berk Ceramic HFC. Hmmm.
Old 02-01-2008, 11:09 AM
J-ROZ33

Originally Posted by Q45tech

Lying to the FEDS.

Old 02-01-2008, 07:19 PM
robertsowka

Originally Posted by J-ROZ33

no siht who diedf and made that fool king... let us worry about the fines, you just sit back and enjoy your stock cats and we will enjoy our aftermarket test pipes or hfc's or resonated tp's...
Old 02-01-2008, 07:42 PM
TacoMadre

I think there was a thread with a soundbit of the Berk test pipes...

Last edited by TacoMadre; 02-01-2008 at 08:25 PM.

Quick Reply: Test Pipes or HFC