Notices
VQ35HR Mods and Support related to the 2007/08 High Revving VQ

K&N Drop-In Woes?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2009, 06:55 AM
504Z07

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i've had my drop-ins in for about 2 months now and not a problem what so ever. . .something wrong with that dudes Z. . .oh, and the guy shouldn't have had to oil the filters because they already come pre-oiled in a plastic bag. . .

Last edited by 504Z07; 01-05-2009 at 07:04 AM.
Old 01-05-2009, 07:51 AM
__jb
Z + Rear Seat

Probably too much oil on the K&N filter getting on to the MAF sensor.

Get some CRC MAF Cleaner and clean the MAF Sensor...
Old 01-05-2009, 08:32 AM
UnitedBreaks

Originally Posted by __jb
Probably too much oil on the K&N filter getting on to the MAF sensor.

Get some CRC MAF Cleaner and clean the MAF Sensor...
Yeah, I'm not him.. just a quote.

What part of St. Pete you from?
Old 01-05-2009, 08:35 AM
j.arnaldo
Banned

Another K&N user: NO PROBLEMO.
Old 01-05-2009, 09:58 AM
black07nismo

i use to have k&n filters, the oil caused my MAF sensor to fail 2 times. the dealer said that the oil made it go bad. that the same style without the oil would be better.
Old 01-05-2009, 10:26 AM
quidproquo
Need a Tune!!!

Originally Posted by GHOST1207
Try pm'ing A.H. or infinite for more info, they have before and after dyno sheets to prove it also look and search for threads around here, tons of people have em. Injen's CAI has long tubes that positions the filters directly behind the grill so it's getting cold outside air compared to the K&Ns drop in filter, which pulls hot air from the engine bay instead.

Colder air = more power.
What do you mean by "the drop-ins pull hot air from the engine bay"?

You must be referring to the K&N Typhoon Air Intake kit not the drop-ins... The drop-ins pull air from the same place the Injens do.
Old 01-05-2009, 02:17 PM
__jb
Z + Rear Seat

Originally Posted by UnitedBreaks
Yeah, I'm not him.. just a quote.

What part of St. Pete you from?
I live near the lake by 22nd avenue and 49th street north.

Ever go to Quaker Steak & Lube on Thursday nights?
Old 01-05-2009, 03:33 PM
UnitedBreaks

Originally Posted by __jb
I live near the lake by 22nd avenue and 49th street north.

Ever go to Quaker Steak & Lube on Thursday nights?
Cool, I'm 54th south near skyway.

I used to go to Quaker on my streetbike, Wednesdays, but that got old. I just purchased this car last week, so I'm sure i'll find some time to make it out.
Old 01-05-2009, 10:44 PM
GHOST1207

Originally Posted by quidproquo
What do you mean by "the drop-ins pull hot air from the engine bay"?

You must be referring to the K&N Typhoon Air Intake kit not the drop-ins... The drop-ins pull air from the same place the Injens do.

Oh sht, thanks for pointing that out, yes all along I was thinkng the op was talking about the typhoons, posting really early FTL, mistake on my part! My bad OP!
Old 01-12-2009, 12:11 PM
ssawa

I had K&N drop ins in my '07 Z from about 5,000 miles to 15,000 when my servive engine soon light went on. The dealer found my cats and O2 sensors were bad. Bottom line, they replaced them under warranty but replaced the K&N's with OEM filters. They suspect the filters caused it. Only thing it could have been was excess oil from the filters. I didn't oil them when I installed them. I'm hesitant to put them back in now.
Old 01-12-2009, 12:16 PM
ajcool2

I put mine in at around 8k and I have 55000 now and havent had a problem yet.
Old 01-13-2009, 05:56 AM
quidproquo
Need a Tune!!!

Originally Posted by ssawa
I had K&N drop ins in my '07 Z from about 5,000 miles to 15,000 when my servive engine soon light went on. The dealer found my cats and O2 sensors were bad. Bottom line, they replaced them under warranty but replaced the K&N's with OEM filters. They suspect the filters caused it. Only thing it could have been was excess oil from the filters. I didn't oil them when I installed them. I'm hesitant to put them back in now.
I've had K&N filters in every car I've owned, and have never had an issue with them... My Eclipse Turbo made it to 114,000 with them in until I sold it.

I suspect your cats would have failed anyway, it was just convenient for Nissan to blame the filters!!! If your car was completely stock at the time of the failure, they most likely would have blamed global warming...
Old 01-13-2009, 07:37 AM
BenchTT

Originally Posted by ssawa
I didn't oil mine either, was I supposed to?
Old 01-13-2009, 07:58 AM
Profink

Originally Posted by BenchTT
Yes, K&N Filters need to be oiled or else they don't trap as much dust and other particles. They are specifically designed to be oiled and not doing so probably will cause harm to your motor.
Old 01-13-2009, 12:59 PM
quidproquo
Need a Tune!!!

Originally Posted by BenchTT
If you bought the filters NEW IN THE BOX, then K&N pre-oiled them to their specifications. If you clean them on your own when you feel they are sufficiently dirty, THEN you re-oil them.

If you got them NEW, do NOT attempt to ADD any MORE oil!!! That would be a PROBLEM!!!
Old 01-20-2009, 01:30 PM
BenchTT

If you bought the filters NEW IN THE BOX, then K&N pre-oiled them to their specifications. If you clean them on your own when you feel they are sufficiently dirty, THEN you re-oil them.

If you got them NEW, do NOT attempt to ADD any MORE oil!!! That would be a PROBLEM!!!
That's what I was thinking. No damage done.
Old 01-20-2009, 02:42 PM
ssawa

As I said a in post #30 above I didn't oil them because I knew they were pre-oiled and I still had an apparent problem which seems to be have been caused by the filters. They could have over oiled them at the factory.

Last edited by ssawa; 01-20-2009 at 02:44 PM.
Old 01-21-2009, 06:03 AM
Louis21

I have a question for you guys who have the K&N filters. Did you notice any difference between them and the stock filters? (power/sound etc.) or just did it for the convenience of not having to buy filters again (just wash and re-oil)?

I used K&N on my old car (98 eclipse) without an issue but it had an AEM cold air intake that was all the way at the bottom, so it would have been kind of hard to suck up oil, since it had a long ways up to travel to the engine.
The Z there isn't much room so i could see how it would be easier to have issues if by chance there's too much oil in the filter.....just a bit worried after reading all the stories.....
Also price is an issue, if there was no real difference I'd probably go for the stock ones if all else is the same....

Thanks!
Old 01-21-2009, 06:26 AM
jtabraham

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've had my K&N filter in for almost 50,000 miles and have had no issues. After cleaning it once, I thought I may have over-oiled; I checked the intake tube and found no residue, but cleaned the MAS anyway.
Old 01-26-2009, 01:43 PM
kennedy

K&N oil filters are actually really shitty.. Lets take oil and put it on something that is supposed to breath.... Its almost like trying to breathe when your are sick and stuffed up doesn't work to well huh? Your best bet is a dry filter. I learned from past experience of having a K&N filter. I would consider buying them oiling it lightly then driving for a week or two take the Maf and clean it. But I would rather find a nice dry filter like hks or something along those lines.

Quick Reply: K&N Drop-In Woes?