Notices
VQ35HR Mods and Support related to the 2007/08 High Revving VQ

K&N vs Cold air intake

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2009, 11:39 PM
0jiggy0

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by jgregory124
for $100 this the best bang for the buck on the HR. a true dual exhaust yields 12 whp for around $1000. this is 1/3 of the whp gained at 1/10 the cost.
test pipes are a much better price/performance mod
Old 03-08-2009, 11:21 AM
jumisu

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by VassiliZeitsev
I'm in the Arnold area. I plan on asking the fiancee for the drop-in K&N's as a b-day present. Even if it's a minimal gain (1-2hp) I'll still do it for the simple fact that I won't ever need to replace a filter again. What can I say, I trust K&N.
haha nice, i got my nismo cf shift **** for x mas from my girl haha
Old 03-09-2009, 03:33 AM
VassiliZeitsev

Originally Posted by 0jiggy0
test pipes are a much better price/performance mod
I'm skeptical of test pipes, not because of their performance gains, but because I don't want to have to fail my emissions due to having test pipes on the car. Having to replace them every time and then re-install them after the test seems a bit of a chore. Does offering a bribe to the emissions folk really work?
Old 03-09-2009, 03:44 AM
0jiggy0

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Yes a bribe works, but you probly need to know them. Kram has a cel fix in this very section, try it and save your money.
Old 03-10-2009, 05:49 AM
GalvatronType_R

I'll probably go with the Blitz or HKS filters over K&N. Don't get me wrong, I've used K&N for years and like their stuff but there's strong evidence that the oil in the filters, even on a factory oiled filter, can sling into the intake and cause some bad juju.

Anyone have any experience with Blitz or HKS filters?
Old 03-10-2009, 08:38 AM
VassiliZeitsev

I definitely dont wanna any bad ju-ju!

I'd be willing to buy a different drop-in if there is one out there. I'm just not that into replacing the whole intake element.
Old 03-10-2009, 09:40 AM
jumisu

isnt the HKS filter some kind of sponge looking thing?? with like metal supporting it??
Old 03-10-2009, 11:56 AM
GalvatronType_R

I definitely dont wanna any bad ju-ju!

I'd be willing to buy a different drop-in if there is one out there. I'm just not that into replacing the whole intake element.
Yes, the bad juju, aka, if I had a straw doll of a Z and I stabbed it, all Zs everywhere would explode.

I've done some research and what I've concluded is that since the stock dual HR intake is completely closed off and already a CAI, the best thing to do is to get a freer flowing drop-in, e.g., K&N, Blitz, HKS, etc. Also, most aftermarket replacement intakes don't provide meaningful gains and the ones that do aren't worth the hundreds of dollars spent on parts and installation.

I had a JWT PC on my previous 03 and while the sound was great, I wasn't too crazy about the heat soak (the performance hit was especially noticeably in the summer). Yes, I did have the "heat shield" installed with it and it didn't make one bit of difference.

Last edited by GalvatronType_R; 03-10-2009 at 11:58 AM.
Old 03-10-2009, 02:28 PM
warmmilk

Not true I got 4whp
did you go from a stock dirty/old filter to a new clean kn? if so, thats your source of gain. back when the hr just came out, sharrif did a test of the stock intake with the stock filter (fresh and clean) and no filter at all, and guess what, no gain was to be had without the filter... unless your implying that the kn filter flows better than no filter at all...

if you go with the kn filter's are resusable defence, the kn cleaning kit is about 25 bucks, new stock filters are 27 bucks. by the time you reuse your filter's enough for the 2 bucks you save for the upfront cost of 100 for the kn drop in's, you'll be at 250k miles (assuming cleaning your filters every 5k)

ultimately, kn drop in's are a complete waste of money, especially considering they can be over oiled and cause issues with the maf's

for the record, i tested this theory, going from dirty filter to clean oem ones, i gain 4whp, just like you did with your kn drop in's.

for $100 this the best bang for the buck on the HR. a true dual exhaust yields 12 whp for around $1000. this is 1/3 of the whp gained at 1/10 the cost.
you can also get an exhaust for 500 bucks (turbo xs) that provides similar gains, and a bunch of other exhausts for considerably less than 1000. but see my previous response, for 27 bucks you can get new clean factory filters and "gain" 4 whp, thats even a better bang for the buck.

to the OP and everyone else saying all intakes are useless go look up "A.H" thread on the injen cold air intakes (and others, but i can't think of anyone else off the top of my head). they gain between 10-15whp. also people have been seeing similar results on g37's with the long tube stillen intakes (there is a short tube version, the short ones are useless). I'm guessing results would be similar on the 350z-hr

*disclaimer
my post was not meant to offend anybody, please don't take anything personally, i'm simply stating the facts
(added cause of passed experience crybabies on the forum, not anybody in this thread)

Last edited by warmmilk; 03-10-2009 at 02:34 PM.
Old 03-12-2009, 09:36 AM
VassiliZeitsev

Originally Posted by warmmilk
did you go from a stock dirty/old filter to a new clean kn? if so, thats your source of gain. back when the hr just came out, sharrif did a test of the stock intake with the stock filter (fresh and clean) and no filter at all, and guess what, no gain was to be had without the filter... unless your implying that the kn filter flows better than no filter at all...

if you go with the kn filter's are resusable defence, the kn cleaning kit is about 25 bucks, new stock filters are 27 bucks. by the time you reuse your filter's enough for the 2 bucks you save for the upfront cost of 100 for the kn drop in's, you'll be at 250k miles (assuming cleaning your filters every 5k)

ultimately, kn drop in's are a complete waste of money, especially considering they can be over oiled and cause issues with the maf's

for the record, i tested this theory, going from dirty filter to clean oem ones, i gain 4whp, just like you did with your kn drop in's.

you can also get an exhaust for 500 bucks (turbo xs) that provides similar gains, and a bunch of other exhausts for considerably less than 1000. but see my previous response, for 27 bucks you can get new clean factory filters and "gain" 4 whp, thats even a better bang for the buck.

to the OP and everyone else saying all intakes are useless go look up "A.H" thread on the injen cold air intakes (and others, but i can't think of anyone else off the top of my head). they gain between 10-15whp. also people have been seeing similar results on g37's with the long tube stillen intakes (there is a short tube version, the short ones are useless). I'm guessing results would be similar on the 350z-hr

*disclaimer
my post was not meant to offend anybody, please don't take anything personally, i'm simply stating the facts
(added cause of passed experience crybabies on the forum, not anybody in this thread)
Wow. That was well thought out. My argument is...uhhh I've got nothing. Speechless. Good post.
Old 03-12-2009, 03:40 PM
powermark

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

From my own personal experience, I lost about 4 hp with my Fujita intakes vs stock with K&N drop ins on the dyno.

drop ins are good for 5-6 WHP
Old 03-12-2009, 05:23 PM
phoenixz

well if you used the whole kit to clean the filter your math would be correct, but you can get 5-6 cleanings out of one of those kits.
Old 03-13-2009, 05:00 PM
VassiliZeitsev

So, to K&N or not K&N...that's the question.

I have a hard time believing the HR will gain 5hp from a drop-in when all other full intakes seem to lose hp...however, I'm just going to say screw it and order my set of filters. Thanks to everyone for their input!
Old 03-13-2009, 07:10 PM
whoopazz1

^ yes but all other intakes don't have the protection from the heat as the stock ones do except for the injen ones because they are mounted just behind the bumper...

I would say if you have the cash, go injen's or pick up a set of used ones.... if you don't get some aftermarket filters with stock intakes... my 3.4567890 c
Old 03-17-2009, 07:29 AM
powermark

So, to K&N or not K&N...that's the question.

I have a hard time believing the HR will gain 5hp from a drop-in when all other full intakes seem to lose hp...however, I'm just going to say screw it and order my set of filters. Thanks to everyone for their input!

Look up 3 posts from this one....
Old 04-02-2009, 02:19 PM
Future Z owner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I guess I am getting injen CAI's but I will dyno first to see the base power then buy the injens and see where it goes from there
Old 04-06-2009, 05:17 PM
jgregory124

Originally Posted by warmmilk

*disclaimer
Sorry to say that your facts are wrong........National Speed one of our sponsers here on my350z did the dyno.....I went from new filters to k&n filters
Old 04-07-2009, 02:23 AM
illjim69

Received 545 Likes on 443 Posts

heat soak is a ricer myth and would only be an issue on a dyno with no fan blowing air over the motor. i guess heat soak would be an issue for a split second on a hot day in stop and go traffic, but once you start moving, so does the air under the hood.

if it were such a huge issue, everyone would be wrapping their intake tubes with insulation to keep heat out. have yet to see this trend come to fruition except on a handful of turbo cars and the heat wrap is usually on the exhaust pipes anyway.
Old 04-07-2009, 06:36 AM
Profink

IIRC, when A.H. dyno'd the injen intakes he also had the still headers installed and didn't have an accurate base dyno to go off of. I talked to Tadashi who was the one who dyno'd the car and he admitted that the injens seemed to help, but couldn't say for sure. The truth is that the air flow requirements of the HR are met with stock intakes. There are a few threads that have dealt with this and the conclusion has been that with 2 intakes the amount of airflow needed per intake goes down.

The K&N's are a good bet since they are replaceable. For someone that tracks their car or drive's hard then filter changes should be done more often. (I usually have to clean them after every track day) The injens are also a good bet if you're willing to spend the money. Any other short ram intakes are worthless. We know the Fujita's suck as do the Nismo/AEM... Cobb was going to make an intake, but never found positive gains on their dyno, so they backed out.
Old 04-07-2009, 08:51 AM
klaze1

I think that if your really tryna do performance upgrades on your car and your worried about the couple hundred extra your spending on a basic upgrade like intakes then either you have the wrong car, or your not really gonna make that much of a difference in it performance wise... if your just tryna add a little something then ok K&N's will work i guess. In my opinion if im gonna invest so much money into a car, im gonna buy the best, to ensure the quality of the parts and just for the peace of mind that what i got under the hood is not some cheap stuff thats gonna mess up my ride in the long run.

Quick Reply: K&N vs Cold air intake