Notices
VQ35HR Mods and Support related to the 2007/08 High Revving VQ

Hard to shift gears and no reverse after clutch change.

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2017, 06:59 AM
Nizmoantics

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hard to shift gears and no reverse after clutch change.

Hello all. I drive a 2008 base. I am having a real issue after installing a new clutch. I recently purchased a crappy ebay clutch that now has me pulling my hair. After my install and bleed procedure. I have good pressure at the pedal but it is very rough to get it in gear! Below are my issues.
  • Stiff engagement from 1st to 4th gear. (As the car rolls it is easier to get into gear.)
  • No reverse!!! Cannot get into reverse at all!!!
  • When the car is off the engagement feels normal and smooth.
It feels as the clutch is not fully engaged which is what is causing this issue. Any help is much appreciated thanks.
Old 07-03-2017, 03:31 AM
travlee
Master

Received 9,047 Likes on 6,513 Posts

Originally Posted by Nizmoantics
Hello all. I drive a 2008 base. I am having a real issue after installing a new clutch. I recently purchased a crappy ebay clutch that now has me pulling my hair. After my install and bleed procedure. I have good pressure at the pedal but it is very rough to get it in gear! Below are my issues.
  • Stiff engagement from 1st to 4th gear. (As the car rolls it is easier to get into gear.)
  • No reverse!!! Cannot get into reverse at all!!!
  • When the car is off the engagement feels normal and smooth.
It feels as the clutch is not fully engaged which is what is causing this issue. Any help is much appreciated thanks.
could be the balla on a budget clutch you bought.
Old 07-03-2017, 06:13 AM
iideadeyeii

Received 442 Likes on 358 Posts

Ebay clutches are fine (i've used them in my audi, multiple jeep's) BUTTTTTTTT you need to inspect the pressure plate before installing. I had one which wouldn't disengage the clutch fully.

Let me try to explain. . . there are usually the 3 bars that act like springs on the outside edge of the pressure plate that are riveted on(not sure what they are called)

You need to make sure those are mounted on the correct side. I had one mounted on the wrong side and the clutch was unable to fully disengage.

(Google image search has them called "Release Plate Strap")

Last edited by iideadeyeii; 07-03-2017 at 06:16 AM.
Old 07-03-2017, 06:46 AM
GarniZ33

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

The clutch isn't grabbing?

or it's difficult to put the shifter into gears?

if it's the shifter, try adjusting the shifter plate.

Originally Posted by failsafe306
If you remove the shifter boot assembly, you'll see the brass colored bracket with 3 bolts that secures the shifter. When you put the shifter in 6th gear, it should just touch the side of the bracket. If not, adjust it accordingly. Same for 5th gear; it should touch the bracket.

I had to do this after dropping my tranny because it was really hard to get into 1st and 2nd. Now it's smooth as buttah

This is most likely your problem.