Notices
VQ37HVR Mods and Support related to the 2009+ VHR engine

Full S-tune 370z Parts revealed!! plus alot of other exclusive info

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2008, 02:02 PM
newtkindred

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Arnold K.
You're not understanding what I'm saying. How could the current base weigh 3300+lbs when a stock Enthusiast 07 was weighed by a forum member at less than 3250lbs? Again, my 06 Touring weighed in at almost exactly 3250lb stock (full tank), and after all of my mods now weighs less than 3200lbs. Base model 06s, 07s, and 08s still weigh close 3200lbs despite what Nissan says. Us numerous owners who have weighed the cars independently have proven this.

Read the post above. I'm not comparing only 2003s. This holds applicable to 2006+, as well. The weights have not changed between the 03-05, 06, and 07-08s as much as people think. The only truly heavy Z out there is the 07+ Nismo Z, which DOES weigh in at 3330lbs and is also made evident by its lower trap-speeds, but that's due to a variety of new suspension components and body pieces added to the car that have given it an extra 100lbs.

Edit: Take it from someone who is in the marketing world...this seems to be Nissan's angle. They haven't dropped much, if any weight off the car. They saturated numbers for the later 350Zs, and will be using that to their advantage with the 370Z.
I get what you are saying. But at this point we can only compare what we know. Until someone actually weighs a 370Z like they have a 350Z what you are assuming can be considered speculation.

To me the only way you can truly compare is by taking the two weights given in the specs by Nissan or the two weights given by actually weighing the two cars, not mix and match.

Am I correct that you are assuming Nissan over estimated the spec weights in the 350Z but NOT the 370Z? One could then speculate Nissan over estimated the spec weight in both the 350Z and the 370Z. Again, who knows until you actually weigh the 370Z. Well, until the same source weighs the two cars, not different people under different conditions, etc.

Last edited by newtkindred; 11-08-2008 at 02:05 PM.
Old 11-08-2008, 02:13 PM
RedBeauty84ZX

Read the post above. I'm not comparing only 2003s. This holds applicable to 2006+, as well. The weights have not changed between the 03-05, 06, and 07-08s as much as people think. The only truly heavy Z out there is the 07+ Nismo Z, which DOES weigh in at 3330lbs and is also made evident by its lower trap-speeds, but that's due to a variety of new suspension components and body pieces added to the car that have given it an extra 100lbs.

Edit: Take it from someone who is in the marketing world...this seems to be Nissan's angle. They haven't dropped much, if any weight off the car. They saturated numbers for the later 350Zs, and will be using that to their advantage with the 370Z.
I too am in the marketing world on a daily basis, and have gone to school for a marketing degree. I can assure you that gaining a little weight is prominent in virtually all production vehicles from year to year. Things are usually added not taken away to a car during its production cycle. All 350Zs are pretty close in weight but they did gradually get a little heavier each year, the 370Z appears to and should be a little lighter and more powerful then the most recently built 350Zs. What are you complaining about?!

Compare the weights on a 1984 300ZX(Z31) to a 1989 300ZX(Z31), the 1989 model weighs noticeably more.

Compare the weights on a 1990 300ZX(Z32) to a 1996 300ZX(Z32), the 1996 model weighs noticeably more.

Why? Because cars are more likely to have additions then subtractions from a design/production team during their production cycle. When Nissan released the Z32 in 1989 it was easily heavier then the Z31 but they improved on the chassis/suspension/engine/interior/quality and gave it more power. End result? The car out performed the Z31 in EVERY way stock vs. stock....even with the added weight. The point? The 370Z is a new model, even at even weights it should out shine the 350Z in every category, and I'm betting its going to be lighter given the reports we've gotten. Not many manufacturers today are reducing weight on their new models...gotta give credit to Nissan.
Old 11-08-2008, 02:19 PM
RedBeauty84ZX

Originally Posted by newtkindred
Am I correct that you are assuming Nissan over estimated the spec weights in the 350Z but NOT the 370Z? One could then speculate Nissan over estimated the spec weight in both the 350Z and the 370Z. Again, who knows until you actually weigh the 370Z. Well, until the same source weighs the two cars, not different people under different conditions, etc.
No, don't try any of that logic or philosophy on Arnold, newtkindred. Arnold is in marketing and knows EXACTLY what Nissan has been up to these past few years and has their "strategies" all figured out.
Old 11-08-2008, 02:45 PM
newtkindred

Originally Posted by RedBeauty84ZX
No, don't try any of that logic or philosophy on Arnold, newtkindred. Arnold is in marketing and knows EXACTLY what Nissan has been up to these past few years and has their "strategies" all figured out.
I think there is a little "marketing" spin going on within this forum to discredit the 370Z actually being a substantial improvement over the 350Z.
Old 11-08-2008, 09:48 PM
SniperHunter

Originally Posted by newtkindred
I get what you are saying. But at this point we can only compare what we know. Until someone actually weighs a 370Z like they have a 350Z what you are assuming can be considered speculation.

To me the only way you can truly compare is by taking the two weights given in the specs by Nissan or the two weights given by actually weighing the two cars, not mix and match.

You have a point and are absolutely correct, it's also my current question...will the independent weight results match up what Nissan will eventually publish and announce? I guess it's time to wait and see.

Originally Posted by RedBeauty84ZX
I too am in the marketing world on a daily basis, and have gone to school for a marketing degree. I can assure you that gaining a little weight is prominent in virtually all production vehicles from year to year. Things are usually added not taken away to a car during its production cycle. All 350Zs are pretty close in weight but they did gradually get a little heavier each year, the 370Z appears to and should be a little lighter and more powerful then the most recently built 350Zs. What are you complaining about?!

Why? Because cars are more likely to have additions then subtractions from a design/production team during their production cycle. When Nissan released the Z32 in 1989 it was easily heavier then the Z31 but they improved on the chassis/suspension/engine/interior/quality and gave it more power. End result? The car out performed the Z31 in EVERY way stock vs. stock....even with the added weight. The point? The 370Z is a new model, even at even weights it should out shine the 350Z in every category, and I'm betting its going to be lighter given the reports we've gotten. Not many manufacturers today are reducing weight on their new models...gotta give credit to Nissan.
Wow. Give it up to Mr. Obvious. No crap that cars gain some weight between model years...the difference is that the 350Z did not gain over 100lbs between an 05 and 06+ model. The weight difference is closer to about 30lbs.

And who's complaining? I'm happy that Nissan isn't douching the specs of the 370Z and is giving us a powerful car. I may not be ecstatic about its looks, but I'm not taking anything away from its performance.

And you can kindly take that sarcastic follow-up reply of yours and shove it.
Old 11-08-2008, 09:57 PM
HoustnZ

Stop being an dude.
Old 11-09-2008, 07:15 AM
SniperHunter

Right...because I'm the one who resorted to sarcasm and an acerbic tone in my posts. The only one being an *** is RedBeauty.
Old 11-09-2008, 01:02 PM
slowxturtle

Old 11-10-2008, 06:33 AM
Smokin370Z

Once again, Waizzz was correct. The all new 6MT can do a proper rev-match automatically, that's incredible.
How does that work? You just push in the clutch and downshift and let the clutch out without blipping the throttle? Or do you need to blip the throttle and when you do so it automatically rev matches? Either way this is way cool.
Old 11-10-2008, 08:47 AM
spf4000

Originally Posted by Smokin370Z
How does that work? You just push in the clutch and downshift and let the clutch out without blipping the throttle? Or do you need to blip the throttle and when you do so it automatically rev matches? Either way this is way cool.
The text is pixelated so it's hard to make it out, but it looks like it says that when you disengage the clutch to downshift and begin to select the lower gear, the ECU calculates the revs needed to match the shift and automatically blips the throttle the right amount.

If you match this system with a Ikeya sequential shifter, it could be pretty damn cool.
Old 11-10-2008, 08:52 AM
DIGItonium

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hmm... I'm not quite comfortable with the automatic throttle blipping. I'm so accustomed to blipping the throttle when downshifting that this feature is going to throw off my rhythm.
Old 11-10-2008, 09:00 AM
trebien

Originally Posted by DIGItonium
Hmm... I'm not quite comfortable with the automatic throttle blipping. I'm so accustomed to blipping the throttle when downshifting that this feature is going to throw off my rhythm.
Agreed. After years on the track, blipping is just an automatic reflex, now. I also don't see how it can keep up with a good (fast-shifting) driver that knows their way around a manual tranny - maybe in slower day-to-day driving, but then, what's the point? I hope it can be disabled in case it doesn't work well. That could be a real nightmare... Coming to a turn, hard on the brakes, and a little extra mis-match could mean big traction issues, right when balanced on the edge.
Old 11-10-2008, 09:27 AM
spf4000

They have a button to turn auto blipping off. According to the article, it will rev match perfectly every time, so if it works, it will be better than heel-toeing (but I'm sure you guys rev match perfectly each and every time, right? )
Old 11-10-2008, 12:18 PM
sq40

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

You have a point and are absolutely correct, it's also my current question...will the independent weight results match up what Nissan will eventually publish and announce? I guess it's time to wait and see.

Wow. Give it up to Mr. Obvious. No crap that cars gain some weight between model years...the difference is that the 350Z did not gain over 100lbs between an 05 and 06+ model. The weight difference is closer to about 30lbs.

And who's complaining? I'm happy that Nissan isn't douching the specs of the 370Z and is giving us a powerful car. I may not be ecstatic about its looks, but I'm not taking anything away from its performance.

The 03-05 Base Car had a few less options that easily account for the Weight difference;

Starting in 2006, the new base model had as standard;

HID Headlights (More Weight for the Projector and Balasts)
18" Wheels instead of 17" (More Weight all around)
VQ35HR Motor (Which had a small weight difference)
Larger Stock brakes. (Again, more metal)
Old 11-10-2008, 12:38 PM
trebien

Originally Posted by spf4000
They have a button to turn auto blipping off. According to the article, it will rev match perfectly every time, so if it works, it will be better than heel-toeing (but I'm sure you guys rev match perfectly each and every time, right? )
I rev match perfectly most of the time, but definitely not all the time. I just can't see how the rev matching can account for sudden speed differences, such as when breaking hard into a corner. The system blipped as if you were going 60, then all of a sudden, you're at 35 going into the corner.

Sure, for day to day operations, the changes aren't as abrupt. But when you're charging down into a turn, and standing on the breaks, I don't see how the blipping can keep up, mainly due to engine and flywheel inertia, not through fault of it's own.

Can you post a link to the "article" you've referenced above? I haven't seen any official information about it and would like to read up on it. And as long as it can be turned off, I'm all for it. It's just a little bit of ecu programming... all the sensors, actuators and such are already there, except for the gearbox sensors to know which gear you're going in to...
Old 11-10-2008, 12:53 PM
SniperHunter

Originally Posted by sq40
The 03-05 Base Car had a few less options that easily account for the Weight difference;

Starting in 2006, the new base model had as standard;

HID Headlights (More Weight for the Projector and Balasts)
18" Wheels instead of 17" (More Weight all around)
VQ35HR Motor (Which had a small weight difference)
Larger Stock brakes. (Again, more metal)
No.

1) HIDs became standard for all 2004 models. In fact, I believe half way into 2003, even base models got HIDs standard. The projectors were made larger for 2006, but that's another negligible increase in weight.
2) Original 18s and 17s weigh the same with tires. In fact, the 17'' rim alone weighed more than 18'' one. And the 5-spoke 18s that we have now are a good deal lighter than the rims before.
3) VQ35HR came in 2007 and weighed less. Fail again.
4) There's a minute difference in terms of rotor size, which is the front rotors only. At most a pound of weight.

The only additions made to the 06+ Zs are steering wheel controls (nothing but wires and a few plastic buttons that amount to a 1lb at most).

Cup-holders in the door panels...hollow plastic, probably didn't gain anything.

Knee pad cushion...a few ounces.

Some interior pieces different.

There IS a weight difference between 03-05 350Zs and 06+, and from my research it's about 30-40lbs total (04 350Z owner weighed his Touring at 3210). Plus, much to the dismay of 6MT elitists, Nissan lists the 5AT Tourings as weighing 20lbs less than the 6-speeds -- but I have a hard time believing that considering all other years the AT weighs 20lbs more.

Last edited by SniperHunter; 11-10-2008 at 01:07 PM.
Old 11-10-2008, 12:57 PM
SniperHunter

As far as the auto rev-matching thing, the second button on the left side of the shift gate is probably what disengages it.
Old 11-10-2008, 02:33 PM
Smokin370Z

I for one think the auto rev matching is pretty cool indeed. I know I don't always match perfectly and it will help alot when you run into lots of traffic. At least they give you an option to turn it off. If it actually works really well then its a win-win in my book giving people the option. Only downside you can't you the clutch to slow down in auto mode.
Old 11-10-2008, 02:40 PM
spf4000

Originally Posted by trebien
I rev match perfectly most of the time, but definitely not all the time. I just can't see how the rev matching can account for sudden speed differences, such as when breaking hard into a corner. The system blipped as if you were going 60, then all of a sudden, you're at 35 going into the corner.

Sure, for day to day operations, the changes aren't as abrupt. But when you're charging down into a turn, and standing on the breaks, I don't see how the blipping can keep up, mainly due to engine and flywheel inertia, not through fault of it's own.
It should be able to it pretty easily by calculating the rate of deceleration and seeing the current engine revs. If we can modulate it with our right foot during heel-toe, the ECU could easily bump up the revs and hold it at the right revs until we reengage the clutch.

Originally Posted by trebien
Can you post a link to the "article" you've referenced above? I haven't seen any official information about it and would like to read up on it. And as long as it can be turned off, I'm all for it. It's just a little bit of ecu programming... all the sensors, actuators and such are already there, except for the gearbox sensors to know which gear you're going in to...
I read the Japanese article in the scans. (well, tried my best to make it out but the words are heavily pixelated and hard to read)