Notices
VQ37HVR Mods and Support related to the 2009+ VHR engine

370Z with a 3.7L??? When there is a 4.0!

Old 11-24-2008, 01:25 PM
Dr. Venture

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

well according to the Mayans there won't be nothing left after 2012.
Old 11-24-2008, 02:04 PM
helldorado

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There's more to the engines than just displacement. Unless other differences like VVEL, 11.0:1 compression, intake manifold design, twin throttle bodies and the reinforcements and changes to the block design that trickle down from development of the block for the GT-R don't matter.
Old 11-24-2008, 02:13 PM
NISMO_558

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. Venture
well according to the Mayans there won't be nothing left after 2012.
you sir have a point there
Old 11-24-2008, 03:49 PM
newtkindred

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Hella
i hope this thread turns into a primer on torque vs hp, and how it relates to vehicle performance.
I wasn't personally trying to take it there. I actually like both. I like an engine that can spin to high rpm quick and I like the grunt of a good V8 putting out a lot of torque.
Old 11-24-2008, 04:16 PM
newtkindred

Originally Posted by trebien
No.

Sure, some cars have boatloads of torque (Viper, ZR1, CTS-V, etc.)... but unless there is the HP ALSO to back it up, the acceleration will be dissappointing... look at any typical high torque/low HP diesel setup.

One can lust after the 560 ft/lbs of torque in the a Viper, but there is also the 600 HP to support it in the higher revs.

For instance, there are lots of fast cars with high HP/low torque ratings (M3, F430, etc.)... but there aren't fast cars with high torque/low HP ratings...
I have to clarify what I was saying. I did say I was delirious when I was writing that post. What I meant to say that torque is sought after when making a car quick sometimes but it must be delivered quickly. I think I said that in my next post. And I guess the relationship between the speed that torque is delivered is somehow related to hp. When one includes gearing in all this then both come into play regarding your desired results as far as hook up in straight line acceleration off the line, or out of corners with the engine is already spinning, etc. One of you hard core car nuts should straighten me out on this. So, my statement I made was intended to include the the torque must be applied at a high rate. OK, it is too late again.
Old 11-24-2008, 04:38 PM
bruddahmatt

Originally Posted by newtkindred
Yeh, what sense would it make to put a truck engine (designed for torque) in a sports car? Hmm, I guess they did it in the 240SX and Mitsubishi Starion? Oh, and the Viper. I could be wrong. Anyway, I digress. You could add volume by more bore and less of stroke so you do not add the extra length and weight to the crankshafts. Or go a head and stroke it and use some titanium rods to lighten things up so engine will spin. Anyway, I am delirious from the flight I just took here from Germany and suffering from a cold so I could be talking nonsense and wouldn't even know it.
1. Everyone agrees that the 240SX is a dog compared to its CA and SR powered JDM bretheren. Find me one person that would rather have a stock cast iron block KA over a stock aluminum block and turbocharged SR20DET under the hood of their Silvia/240.

2. The Viper's V10 is based on the Ram V10 which is itself derived from Chrysler's LA engine, but the Viper's block is cast in aluminum instead of iron. Not to mention 1st and early 2nd gen cars had forged internals which took to boost quite well. The motors share some similarities, but there are enough differences to differentiate them from one another. It would be like comparing GM's Vortec truck V8s to an LSx Corvette motor.
Old 11-25-2008, 04:08 AM
newtkindred

Originally Posted by bruddahmatt
1. Everyone agrees that the 240SX is a dog compared to its CA and SR powered JDM bretheren. Find me one person that would rather have a stock cast iron block KA over a stock aluminum block and turbocharged SR20DET under the hood of their Silvia/240.

2. The Viper's V10 is based on the Ram V10 which is itself derived from Chrysler's LA engine, but the Viper's block is cast in aluminum instead of iron. Not to mention 1st and early 2nd gen cars had forged internals which took to boost quite well. The motors share some similarities, but there are enough differences to differentiate them from one another. It would be like comparing GM's Vortec truck V8s to an LSx Corvette motor.
I mentioned motors that were used in trucks but I didn't say I thought they were any good. . I myself bought and imported a SR20DET engine straight out of Japan to swap into my car. The KA is a joke to me. In case of the Viper engine, like I mentioned before, if you lighten some internal parts up, can make a huge difference in power delivery. Who can argue the results of the Viper engine.
Old 11-25-2008, 04:56 AM
chokonen888

Originally Posted by helldorado
There's more to the engines than just displacement. Unless other differences like VVEL, 11.0:1 compression, intake manifold design, twin throttle bodies and the reinforcements and changes to the block design that trickle down from development of the block for the GT-R don't matter.
exactly...I would be looking towards the GTR, not Nissan trucks, when it comes to the future of the Z
Old 11-26-2008, 06:39 PM
Ilike350Z

i have a feeling nissan is going to offer the 4.5L V8 in 2-3yrs. thats probably why they didnt bump the Hp from the 3.7L V6.
Old 11-26-2008, 09:06 PM
bruddahmatt

Originally Posted by Ilike350Z
i have a feeling nissan is going to offer the 4.5L V8 in 2-3yrs. thats probably why they didnt bump the Hp from the 3.7L V6.

Am I the only one here who noticed that the new FX got a 5.0L V8 in place of its old 4.5L unit? And am I the only person here who expects that engine to find its way into the redesigned M creating an M50 to replace the underpowered M45? And am I the only one here who sees the 4.5 on its way out the door which means that there won't be a 4.5 to stuff into the Z or...no wait...yah I'm the only one who notices these things.
Old 11-26-2008, 09:37 PM
trebien

Originally Posted by bruddahmatt

Am I the only one here who noticed that the new FX got a 5.0L V8 in place of its old 4.5L unit? And am I the only person here who expects that engine to find its way into the redesigned M creating an M50 to replace the underpowered M45? And am I the only one here who sees the 4.5 on its way out the door which means that there won't be a 4.5 to stuff into the Z or...no wait...yah I'm the only one who notices these things.
No kidding. All these people are dreamers. The VQ will be 4.5 liters in 2-3 years... that's what they'll put in the 450Z. Like, duh...
Old 11-27-2008, 01:29 PM
Dr. Venture

i think of it this way. Smaller engine or displacement makes for a quicker revving and faster response. Bigger engine or displacement although it is very powerful once it gets going will not be as quick in rev timing on the start. Slow moving yet powerful enough for a truck will not work as a sports car. Im sure they can make it happen for a Z..i was just wondering to save $ they should of just made it out of the 4.0 instead of developing a 3.7.

Last edited by Dr. Venture; 11-27-2008 at 01:33 PM.
Old 11-27-2008, 01:34 PM
Dr. Venture

In the future of the 370z though we all know the engine is probably going to be used in the maxima,altima as well. What kinda ticked me after the fact of buying a Z was that i expected to have the Z with an engine that no other nissan should of had cause on the road although the Z looks sexy technically it's a 2 door maxima. If it is going to be a "sports car" dont use the engine for a family car as well.

If you remember the older infinite i or j30's they also had the 300 zx engine NA of course, but you know what i mean.

Last edited by Dr. Venture; 11-27-2008 at 01:47 PM.
Old 11-27-2008, 01:39 PM
highflyinkilla

In the future of the 370z though we all know the engine is probably going to be used in the mazima,altima as well. What kinda ticked me after the fact of buying a Z was that i expected to have the Z with an engine that no other nissan should of had cause on the road although the Z looks sexy technically it's a 2 door maxima. If it is going to be a "sports car" dont use the engine for a family car as well.

If you remember the older infinite i or j30's they also had the 300 zx engine NA of course, but you know what i mean.
I wish Nissan would stop making all their cars look the same and come up with something original for each model.
Old 11-27-2008, 04:37 PM
bruddahmatt

In the future of the 370z though we all know the engine is probably going to be used in the maxima,altima as well. What kinda ticked me after the fact of buying a Z was that i expected to have the Z with an engine that no other nissan should of had cause on the road although the Z looks sexy technically it's a 2 door maxima. If it is going to be a "sports car" dont use the engine for a family car as well.

Umm no. Designing a model specific engine for a single vehicle line = increased cost which would translate into a larger sticker price which would thus translate into fewer sales and so on. If you want that "specific to this model only" status with a Nissan, pony up for a GT-R. A budget minded anything will HAVE to parts share in order to hit price targets. Heck even the "exclusive" GT-R shares a few interior trim pieces with other Nissan/Infiniti products in order to cut costs and keep the price below that of competitors.

Besides, the Z's motor since the introduction of the HR in '07 (and to a lesser extent, the introduction of the Rev-Up) is exclusive to the Z throughout the Nissan lineup so I really don't see what the big fuss is. Yes the HR is used throughout the Infiniti lineup, but in that sense, it's not being used in Nissans "lesser" than the Z. If anything, it's being used in a car "lesser" than Infinitis and in that regard, Z owners should be thankful that Nissan didn't sabotage the Z's output to give the G37 a "hp edge."
Old 11-27-2008, 04:50 PM
bruddahmatt

Originally Posted by highflyinkilla
I wish Nissan would stop making all their cars look the same and come up with something original for each model.
You must be kidding. I will agree that Infinitis share many design cues with one another. However, excluding their trucks (and lets face it, most automaker's truck lineups share closer family resemblances with one another than do their car lineups), Nissan has one of the most diverse looking lineups throughout the automotive industry. Certain models share certain design cues with one another, but I challenge you to find me another large automaker with such a diverse design language amongst its vehicles. The notched headlamps on the Maxima and the new Z are the first sign of some sort of family design language I've seen on modern Nissans since the epic FAIL that was the buck toothed grille which first showed up on the '04 Maxima and the '04 Sentra.
Old 11-27-2008, 06:25 PM
helldorado

No, get your facts straight. Z has NOTHING in common with the Maxima and it never has, two different platforms. Z is based off the same platform as the G37, also the basis for the M, FX, and EX.

Don't think the 3.7 is a new engine for the Z either. This engine has been used in the G37 coupe since the 2008 model. The transmissions, 14" Akebono brakes, suspension design and many of the other "new" features (nav screen, push button start, bluetooth) of the 370Z are all inherited from the G. The 370Z is basically a shorter, lighter, sportier version of what you can already get with a G37 coupe.

Since the Z returned with the 350Z, it's shared the vast majority of it's drivetrain components with the G and will continue to do so as long as it's financially viable for Nissan.
Old 11-27-2008, 07:20 PM
Dr. Venture

Wow every thread turns into an argument over some crap.

"get my facts straight" you said huh? So you tell me if im wrong that the 3.5 engine is or is not used in the Z, Maxima and the Altima not to mention the FX plus g35 as of today? Sure the manifolds may be different but the break down is the same damn engine. So what facts are you telling me to get straight? Different as far as looks, style and chassis yes, but the engine is the same damn one. I know that the 3.7 has appeared in the G37 and now the Z, but it will eventually make its way into the Altima and Maxima yet again.

I can't only complain about Nissan doing this. Remember the Lexus SC400? Had the NA Supra engine in that baby.

Honda if you ask me had the most multitude of different engines in the 90's to split between Honda and Acura with the SOHC/DOHC 1.6 or 1.8 or 2.4 (5 cylinder Acura Vigor) Vtec and non Vtec and the 2.7 V6 Accord was available as well.

I dont care about the platform what im specifically talking about is the engine itself. Dont get me wrong im happy and i love the Z, just knowing the engine is the same urks me so to say.

Its like ok we know the GTR is a super car. But if the Z competes with say the Evo's or the STi's or the S2000's..what im saying is you dont see a civic with a s2000 engine or a normal lancer/galant with an Evo engine, or a regular WRX with an STI engine. Z is the normal mans Sports car then make it different besides it's looks.

the main fact is yes, Nissan will save money this way. We all know that.

Last edited by Dr. Venture; 11-27-2008 at 07:28 PM.
Old 11-27-2008, 07:24 PM
SirSpeedyZ

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 350z_racer05
well it took 5 years to go from a 3.5 to a 3.7, so a Z with a 4.0 should come out in roughly 2016
Old 11-27-2008, 07:37 PM
helldorado

Wow every thread turns into an argument over some crap.

"get my facts straight" you said huh? So you tell me if im wrong that the 3.5 engine is or is not used in the Z, Maxima and the Altima not to mention the FX plus g35 as of today? Sure the manifolds may be different but the break down is the same damn engine. So what facts are you telling me to get straight? Different as far as looks, style and chassis yes, but the engine is the same damn one. I know that the 3.7 has appeared in the G37 and now the Z, but it will eventually make its way into the Altima and Maxima yet again.

I can't only complain about Nissan doing this. Remember the Lexus SC400? Had the NA Supra engine in that baby.

Honda if you ask me had the most multitude of different engines in the 90's to split between Honda and Acura with the SOHC/DOHC 1.6 or 1.8 or 2.4 (5 cylinder Acura Vigor) Vtec and non Vtec and the 2.7 V6 Accord was available as well.

I dont care about the platform what im specifically talking about is the engine itself. Dont get me wrong im happy and i love the Z, just knowing the engine is the same urks me so to say.

Its like ok we know the GTR is a super car. But if the Z competes with say the Evo's or the STi's or the S2000's..what im saying is you dont see a civic with a s2000 engine or a normal lancer/galant with an Evo engine, or a regular WRX with an STI engine. Z is the normal mans Sports car then make it different besides it's looks.

the main fact is yes, Nissan will save money this way. We all know that.
Your threads turn to crap because you're generally misinformed and refuse to admit otherwise, especially when presented with the truth. Simple as that.

The VQ in the Maxima shares some basic architecture but you can't even swap the block. It's designed for a transverse application, you cannot take a block from a Maxima and drop it into the Z or vice versa. The heads and cams are different. They share the VQ designation because of the engineering principles but they're not the exact same engine.

However, the VQ from the Z IS the same as the one previously used in the FX, G, M, etc.. because it's the same platform. The Maxima is the A platform, Z is the FM. Engines are not universal between the two.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 370Z with a 3.7L??? When there is a 4.0!