Mine's 370z A Work In Progress - Page 5 - MY350Z.COM Forums



Reply
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-17-2008, 11:50 AM   #81
RedSled
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Posts: 133
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Stop photoshopping the headlights. 100% of all headlight photoshops I've seen look like complete garbage, including the monstrosities on this thread. The stock headlights are perfect. Even if you aren't happy with them, not much you can do unless you have thousands of dollars to spend to modify the fenders, hood, bumper, etc, and to custom fab up a set of a headlights of your own.
RedSled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 02:25 PM   #82
UCIgrad
Registered User
iTrader: (2)
 
UCIgrad's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Newport Beach, CA
Posts: 94
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

^^^ Well, the more images/complaints/overlays that are produced, the more likely Nissan might get rid of the wings in a couple years.
UCIgrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 02:31 PM   #83
KingBaby
Hardest Setting
iTrader: (3)
 
KingBaby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: MexiCali dodging potholes
Posts: 13,260
Thanked 65 Times in 51 Posts
Default

I must say after seeing it in person the headlights really hooked me...

Short story I have some gray tape at home (duck tape I think)...I was bored yesterday ,and wondered what it would look like on the nismo...doesn't look bad at all...
KingBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 04:12 PM   #84
greekguy824
Registered User
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Acworth, GA
Posts: 6,452
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by UCIgrad View Post
^^^ Well, the more images/complaints/overlays that are produced, the more likely Nissan might get rid of the wings in a couple years.
Why don't people understand that the lights were designed to flow with the curves of the car? Nissan will not be changing anything because messing with the lights makes the car look disgusting.
greekguy824 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 04:48 PM   #85
WShade
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 100
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by greekguy824 View Post
Why don't people understand that the lights were designed to flow with the curves of the car? Nissan will not be changing anything because messing with the lights makes the car look disgusting.


.... and I be GD if my rims ain't too! Add that to your sig
WShade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 05:58 PM   #86
singh
_______________
iTrader: (2)
 
singh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 5,355
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedSled View Post
Stop photoshopping the headlights. 100% of all headlight photoshops I've seen look like complete garbage, including the monstrosities on this thread. The stock headlights are perfect...
+2
singh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 06:36 PM   #87
Banned
iTrader: (37)
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Charlotte / Raleigh, NC
Posts: 3,531
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedSled View Post
Stop photoshopping the headlights. 100% of all headlight photoshops I've seen look like complete garbage, including the monstrosities on this thread. The stock headlights are perfect. Even if you aren't happy with them, not much you can do unless you have thousands of dollars to spend to modify the fenders, hood, bumper, etc, and to custom fab up a set of a headlights of your own.
wrong. imo of course
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsingh350Z View Post
+2
-1
Mike@Blackline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 06:41 PM   #88
Banned
iTrader: (37)
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Charlotte / Raleigh, NC
Posts: 3,531
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

digging this headlight chop
Mike@Blackline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 07:25 PM   #89
RedSled
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Posts: 133
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

^ The problem with that chop is it just doesn't flow very well with the rest of the car. It looks like it's squinting at something, or possibly even like someone punched it in the "temple", causing the area by the "eye" to swell. The stock headlights are perfect, and I'm sure they look even better in person.

People that want the headlights changed and think that their opinion on the subject is that important should go apply for a job at Nissan, because you're not going to make them flinch otherwise.
RedSled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 09:00 PM   #90
Banned
iTrader: (37)
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Charlotte / Raleigh, NC
Posts: 3,531
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedSled View Post
^ The problem with that chop is it just doesn't flow very well with the rest of the car. It looks like it's squinting at something, or possibly even like someone punched it in the "temple", causing the area by the "eye" to swell. The stock headlights are perfect, and I'm sure they look even better in person.

People that want the headlights changed and think that their opinion on the subject is that important should go apply for a job at Nissan, because you're not going to make them flinch otherwise.
i like the tall, skinny headlights, thats why i liked the front of the cadillac 16 concept:


we're not complaining about the headlights and dont think nissan is stupid,l we're just voicing opinions. i know they made the boomerangs for a reason, all the posts again them are just 'IMHO'
Mike@Blackline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 09:10 PM   #91
RedSled
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Posts: 133
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Of course. This is all subjective

Personally though I feel nissan did a great job with the headlights, and while those tall skinny headlights look great on that caddy, they just don't flow well with the lines on the 370Z imo.
RedSled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 09:56 PM   #92
UCIgrad
Registered User
iTrader: (2)
 
UCIgrad's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Newport Beach, CA
Posts: 94
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Do the boomerang/wing lights come from any sort of previous Z influence? Not to my knowledge. I believe this deviation in design will eventually swing back the other way to normalcy.

Someone mentioned above that the chopped lights don't flow??? And the boomerang lights do?? And what the hell is all this crap about, "You have to see it in person." I'm tired of reading that. Sure, things in person look better sometimes, but the truly great designs look great in the photos as well!

The lights are a design element that most people have had to "get used" to. That's not "rock your socks" design.

One of the things that changed on the 350 in the last model was indeed the lights. Granted, the shape didn't change, but the lights did change so why is it so hard to postulate the lights on the 370 will change in a few years? Nissan always changes the lights at some point in the product lifecycle. (Altima, Maxima, Z, etc.) It's the cheapest way of differentiating the product without introducing a new model.

I'm not hating on the 370, I actually like the car and am somewhat jealous of those who will own it. (I'm getting hitched and buying a house so my 350 and me are going to be buds for a while longer.) Nevertheless, the yellow chop above clearly has better flowing lines than the boomerangs. Boomerangs = not streamlined.
UCIgrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 10:00 PM   #93
iceman21_23
Registered User
iTrader: (7)
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Houston
Posts: 730
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by UCIgrad View Post
Do the boomerang/wing lights come from any sort of previous Z influence? Not to my knowledge. I believe this deviation in design will eventually swing back the other way to normalcy.

Someone mentioned above that the chopped lights don't flow??? And the boomerang lights do?? And what the hell is all this crap about, "You have to see it in person." I'm tired of reading that. Sure, things in person look better sometimes, but the truly great designs look great in the photos as well!

The lights are a design element that most people have had to "get used" to. That's not "rock your socks" design.

One of the things that changed on the 350 in the last model was indeed the lights. Granted, the shape didn't change, but the lights did change so why is it so hard to postulate the lights on the 370 will change in a few years? Nissan always changes the lights at some point in the product lifecycle. (Altima, Maxima, Z, etc.) It's the cheapest way of differentiating the product without introducing a new model.

I'm not hating on the 370, I actually like the car and am somewhat jealous of those who will own it. (I'm getting hitched and buying a house so my 350 and me are going to be buds for a while longer.) Nevertheless, the yellow chop above clearly has better flowing lines than the boomerangs. Boomerangs = not streamlined.
have u actually seen the car in person? if not then you really cant comment on how it looks. So im sorry that you can not tell from the pictures that the lights go PERFECT with this car.
iceman21_23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 10:12 PM   #94
UCIgrad
Registered User
iTrader: (2)
 
UCIgrad's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Newport Beach, CA
Posts: 94
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceman21_23 View Post
have u actually seen the car in person? if not then you really cant comment on how it looks. So im sorry that you can not tell from the pictures that the lights go PERFECT with this car.
Actually, I saw the car at the LA Auto Show. So I can comment on the car according to your rule, ridiculous as it is. People can't comment on the looks of the car until they see it in person? What take photos? I guess the people who still don't like the lights in person are just haters, right? Gimme a break.

Let me reiterate, I'm not hating on the car. The lights will indeed eventually grow on me because I'm a Z fanboy. That doesn't mean that the lights could have been better designed.

Let's ask a question to try and gain some perspective. If the production lights were like those on the yellow chop above, would we all be asking for Nissan to make them look more like boomerangs? Would we say, "Hey Nissan, I think the headlight needs to take a 90 degree turn so it looks like a quasi Nike swoosh." Probably not.
UCIgrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 09:28 AM   #95
RedSled
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Posts: 133
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by UCIgrad View Post
Actually, I saw the car at the LA Auto Show. So I can comment on the car according to your rule, ridiculous as it is. People can't comment on the looks of the car until they see it in person? What take photos? I guess the people who still don't like the lights in person are just haters, right? Gimme a break.

Let me reiterate, I'm not hating on the car. The lights will indeed eventually grow on me because I'm a Z fanboy. That doesn't mean that the lights could have been better designed.

Let's ask a question to try and gain some perspective. If the production lights were like those on the yellow chop above, would we all be asking for Nissan to make them look more like boomerangs? Would we say, "Hey Nissan, I think the headlight needs to take a 90 degree turn so it looks like a quasi Nike swoosh." Probably not.
No, we wouldn't be asking them to put boomerang headlights on the Z car because they're unique. No one would have ever thought of that in the first place, which, once again, adds even more uniqueness to the car. And as subjective as this is, your opinion will not be changing Nissan's stance on the headlights. Also IMO (and many others) the headlights look great.

Your other argument was that we've never seen the headlight design used in a previous Z car. This is a ridiculous argument because hey, we've never seen the lines from the Z32 used on a previous Z car, nor the triangular tail-lights on the Z33, right? Look at how they are today, and the Z32 sure wouldn't look out of place on a dealership floor if you were to put one in there right now. The same is going to become of the Z34 whether you like it or not.

Also as I've stated before, those of you who think you can do a better job than Nissan who are so vocal about the so-called headlight issue, feel free to apply for a job with them. I'd love to see you try and best their design, because I guarantee that you won't be able to.
RedSled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 09:59 AM   #96
UCIgrad
Registered User
iTrader: (2)
 
UCIgrad's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Newport Beach, CA
Posts: 94
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedSled View Post
No, we wouldn't be asking them to put boomerang headlights on the Z car because they're unique. No one would have ever thought of that in the first place, which, once again, adds even more uniqueness to the car.
Uniqueness does not always equate to goodness. Have the lights grown on people? Yes. Will the lights grow on me? Yes. Are the lights what I prefer, not really. I realize that it is my opinion, but I'm not alone. I can guarantee you the lights will change and will refer back to this post in 3-4 years.

Quote:
Your other argument was that we've never seen the headlight design used in a previous Z car. This is a ridiculous argument because hey, we've never seen the lines from the Z32 used on a previous Z car, nor the triangular tail-lights on the Z33, right? Look at how they are today, and the Z32 sure wouldn't look out of place on a dealership floor if you were to put one in there right now. The same is going to become of the Z34 whether you like it or not.
Well, it wasn't an argument. . .just an observation correlated with the large number of people who say it is a return to the 240.

Quote:
Also as I've stated before, those of you who think you can do a better job than Nissan who are so vocal about the so-called headlight issue, feel free to apply for a job with them. I'd love to see you try and best their design, because I guarantee that you won't be able to.
This is just silly. So every manufacturer I disagree with I should apply to work there? People can disagree with product designs and hope that manufacturers change designs more to their liking. ESPECIALLY when they have done so in the past.

I'll say it a 4th time, I'm not hating on the car. I actually really like it despite a couple things. The boomerang lights are a design fad Nissan is working through many of its models right now. It won't last and model-generations from now the boomerang lights will be iconic in the sense that they will define a styling fad. . . .a deviation from a proven styling convention, and didn't last.
UCIgrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 11:47 PM   #97
ENS350z
Registered User
iTrader: (19)
 
ENS350z's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: San Diego
Posts: 99
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

car looks great just needs a wing.
ENS350z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 05:11 AM   #98
ttuberz
Banned
iTrader: (14)
 
ttuberz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: CT
Posts: 1,416
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

^stfu
ttuberz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 08:41 AM   #99
MyownNismo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 6
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I like the one picture with the CE28N's. Those are my favorite volk wheels.
MyownNismo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 08:13 PM   #100
vthao
Registered User
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: NorCal
Posts: 844
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 370Zfanatic View Post
Finally the sweet video of the new Z34 tearing up the Fuji racetrack is here. Video is courtesy of member "Shin" (who is the owner of Zcar-world.net) from *******.net

<object width="480" height="295"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/3jdLOdHLBPU&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/3jdLOdHLBPU&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="295"></embed></object>

Enjoy the video. I know I did

I like how the sun glares through the window and "mines" can be seen on the seats, awesome HAHA! Anyway, that thing is badass.
vthao is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
FS: 2003 Touring Edition 350z-6MT-2Tone-40K Miles - $14k - NJ ars88 Zs & Gs For Sale 18 04-04-2016 07:52 AM
(OEM) FS: BNIB Reverse Light Switch BOATS N HOES Lighting 1 10-13-2015 09:07 AM
My FI friends, im at a loss of whats causing my issues. i turn to you. Colombo Forced Induction 29 10-10-2015 02:31 PM
what is the part number for the blank panel on the left side of the steering whl CFAUVEL Exterior & Interior 3 10-01-2015 03:20 PM
Uprev can't find ecu all of a sudden? hulkout Tuning 1 09-30-2015 12:33 PM


Tags
370z, 400whp, antenna, arizona, catback, cover, exhaust, gps, injen, mine, mines, phoenix, pics, price, sale, white

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 01:58 AM.


Copyright 2002 - 2017, MY350Z.COM All Rights Reserved.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
What's your question?
Send