Notices
Wheels & Tires 350Z Rollers and Rubbers

2 down, 6 to go!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2004, 11:34 AM
Speedracer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2 down, 6 to go!!!!!!

So while my baby sits in the garage all winter, I decided to take the opportunity to take my tinkering to a new level.

Nismo suspension and Stoptech's at all four corners.

I decided to do suspension and brake both one one corner at a time. Doing them together made the install for each much easier since there was so much more room to work with both the stock brake system and stock suspension removed. This was the first time I had undertaken something like this, and overall, it went pretty well. From start to finish for the one corner it took me about 7 hours for complete removal of stock components and installation of the new ones. I'm sure I'll be able to cut that time by 2-3 hours on the other side since the first time always involves learning and experimentation.

Done with hand tools + air compressor tools+ jack stands. One man operation. No assistant is required if you have all the proper tools.

Hardest parts were:

1. Lining up the lower bracket of the new front shock/spring assembly. Took a lot of twisting and careful maneuvering of the suspension components and tapping with a hammer

2. Removing the 22mm bolts that hold in the stock brake caliper. Damn!!!! Those things were tight. Basically I had to put my 1.5 ton hydraulic car lifting jack under the handle of the socket wrench and "jack up" the handle to turn it. Once I figured this out it worked like a charm, but I probalby spent about 30 min trying to figure out just how to get those bolts off with the equipment I had.

Anyway, during all this, I came up with some useful info to share:

Weight of stock front spring/shock=13.5lbs
Weight of Nismo front spring/shock=13lbs

Weight of stock front caliper with lines and pads=12.5lbs
Weight of Stoptech ST-40 caliper with lines/pads=11.5lbs

Weight of stock rotor =16lbs
Weight of Stoptech 332mm rotor=17.5lbs

I was very impressed that my net weight gain was ZERO!!!! I had been a little worried about the added weight of the BBK but all told, it was only 0.5lb more than the stock (non-brembo) set-up. This is one of the main reasons I went with the 332mm kit as opposed to the 355mm kit.

If anyone has any interest in doing these installs themselves, they are easily doable with the right tools. And....No one will take as much care on your vehicle as you will.

Sorry for the poor pic quality. It was a still shot with a digicam.
Attached Thumbnails 2 down, 6 to go!!!!!!-dsc00068-1.jpg  

Last edited by Speedracer; 12-19-2004 at 11:39 AM.
Old 12-19-2004, 02:26 PM
King Tut

Default Re: 2 down, 6 to go!!!!!!

Originally posted by Speedracer
Hardest parts were:

2. Removing the 22mm bolts that hold in the stock brake caliper. Damn!!!! Those things were tight. Basically I had to put my 1.5 ton hydraulic car lifting jack under the handle of the socket wrench and "jack up" the handle to turn it. Once I figured this out it worked like a charm, but I probalby spent about 30 min trying to figure out just how to get those bolts off with the equipment I had.

I was very impressed that my net weight gain was ZERO!!!! I had been a little worried about the added weight of the BBK but all told, it was only 0.5lb more than the stock (non-brembo) set-up. This is one of the main reasons I went with the 332mm kit as opposed to the 355mm kit.
Very true about those damn 22mm bolts. It took me alot of work, but I got each off with just a 22mm socket and my Craftsman half inch breaker bar. As for th weight difference, don't forget the rotor has a larger diameter so that weight is further from the hub which makes its weight effects greater, so you will lose some power from the bigger brake kit even though they weight the same.
Old 12-23-2004, 04:26 PM
Speedracer

So while my baby sits in the garage all winter, I decided to take the opportunity to take my tinkering to a new level.

I decided to do suspension and brake both one one corner at a time. Doing them together made the install for each much easier since there was so much more room to work with both the stock brake system and stock suspension removed. This was the first time I had undertaken something like this, and overall, it went pretty well. From start to finish for the one corner it took me about 7 hours for complete removal of stock components and installation of the new ones. I'm sure I'll be able to cut that time by 2-3 hours on the other side since the first time always involves learning and experimentation.

Done with hand tools + air compressor tools+ jack stands. One man operation. No assistant is required if you have all the proper tools.

Hardest parts were:

1. Lining up the lower bracket of the new front shock/spring assembly. Took a lot of twisting and careful maneuvering of the suspension components and tapping with a hammer

If anyone has any interest in doing these installs themselves, they are easily doable with the right tools. And....No one will take as much care on your vehicle as you will.

Old 12-23-2004, 04:30 PM
Speedracer

Hardest parts were:

Some more info:

Stock rear spring/shock weight=7lbs
Nismo rear spring/shock weight=8lbs (Heavier spring)

Stock rear caliper w/ pads+lines=6.5lbs
Stoptech ST-22 rear calipers w/pads+lines=6.5lbs

Stock (non-brembo) rear rotors=12lbs
Stoptech 328mm rear rotors=15lbs
Old 12-23-2004, 05:30 PM
axxizzer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks a ton for the weight information!!!
Old 12-23-2004, 07:09 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

nice!